Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Am Ls1 Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Am Ls1 Cam?

Hello, I am posting for a friend. He has a 2000 LS1 Trans Am (Manual) he recently installed headers with 3in y pipe, cold air intake, spark plugs/wiring. He wants to get a cam for it.
My questions are
What is a good N/A cam? (Specs please)
What is a good Nitrous cam? (Specs please)
And last but not least, What supporting mods will he need? (IF ANY) Springs,lifters, pushrods, Port/polished & milled heads? Etc etc

PS- Sorry if its in the wrong section.
And thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

For small shots of nitrous just get a good n/a cam as there is no real benefit to a nitrous specific cam at that level. Will this car be mainly be on the street or track? Will he be doing other mods down the road, such as heads? Will he be keeping the stock gears as well?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Maybe a 100-125 shot tops.
And the car is mainly for track or racing in streets of MEXICO.
And yes more than likley he will be working on the heads or maybe buy aftermarket ones.
As for gears its running on 373s, But i'm sure if it'll help then he'll probably go bigger
Old 02-05-2014, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It sounds like this car will see a lot of racing then, regardless of street ot track. With that said, you really want to match the cam and heads together, so it would be wise to figure out what heads you're doing as well. If it currently has a LS6 intake that is great, but a FAST 92 or 102 would definitely be better. The 3.73's are great all around gear IMO, and I would probably leave it alone if it were me. As for a 100-125 shot, don't waste your time on a nitrous specific cam...won't even be worth it. I would start by calling some of the top vedors on here that deal exclusively with this stuff like Tick Performance, Texas Speed, etc...It sounds like he could go pretty aggressive on the cam though since the car will see a lot of racing...especially if he gets some nice heads along with it
Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Teching In

I'll try contacting them to see if they could help out on choosing a cam for now and heads later. As for the 125-100shot it wont be every race, maybe once every 2-3months.

Quick Reply: Trans Am Ls1 Cam?