Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with plumbing cooling system without radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with plumbing cooling system without radiator?

So the plan is to run my set-up (fully wet 427 / twin 78mm's / e-85 then alcohol only) without a radiator as it's a 100% drag car but i have ?'s as to how to plumb things and also be sure to purge system of air.

Not sure if this is the right section for it and i'm not signed up to YB yet so thought i'd ask here first!

I'll be running a 5 gall water tank in the rear of the car w/ -12 lines to and from the engine w/ a Rule 2000 pump.

Now my questions are is it ok to run the system un pressurized w/ a -12 vent off the top of the water tank?

What should i do with the steam vent lines?

One more thing is that the turbos i'm running only require water and no oil to be fed to the center section so where should i plumb those from?

Here's a pic of the water tank which will be higher than the engine itself which i hope will help.

Thanks!

Name:  DB8595E0-5B79-48BC-B40E-04B6C35FED97_zpskk0vfdm3.jpg
Views: 9135
Size:  142.4 KB

Name:  2725F994-20D9-48EF-B632-27430D7BB185_zps6orgjtdy.jpg
Views: 9018
Size:  111.7 KB
Old 12-11-2015, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Anyone? lol

Should this be posted in a different section? (Forced Induction seems to get a lot of views?)
Old 12-11-2015, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Trix -- No first hand knowledge with this idea but I'm a plumber by trade and can suggest the following:

High point vents are the most effective way to get air out of any cooling system. I would use the steam ports on the motor as the high point vent on the engine. Tie all the steam ports together and add a small valve that you can use to bleed the air out with, also i would tie the steamports into your main cooling system so that you will have flow through the steamports and any unbleed air can be pushed out of the motor and to your tank.

Also filling the system from the bottom up will help in pushing air out the top through your high point vents.

Anywhere your cooilng hoses go down then up then down again is a potiental area for air to be trapped. Take your time filling the system from the bottom up and bleeding it multiple times and you will get the air completely out.

Your tank will not need to be completely air tight. I would vent it out the rear of you car to allow for expansion.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have u consider just running coolant/water to the turbos only? Your really Vague about what ur using the car for n what not. Do u have a lot of money in the motor? Some of the people I know with a single turbo set up 100% drag car aren't cooling it at all no water, no radiator, not filling with anything just venting it is that an option. I've seen others with a radiator mounted dope style in 5th gen 100% drag car.

Like I said if you give more info on what the intent is and more detail on set up n what not you might get more responses
Old 12-11-2015, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't need a pressurized water system. The rule pump will provide enough.

If you're running Alcohol, consider dry decking and filling the block just cooling the heads, it would be much safer in the event you lift a head.

The steam vents can be plumbed Into 1 -4 line and ran back to the water tank. As for the turbo water supply, how much water is needed ?
Old 12-14-2015, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Really appreciate the input guys!

Still trying to figure this out before getting started plumbing and i spoke to Comp Turbo regarding this and he said that water is def. needed and suggested to run -6 lines from the water tank in back.

I understand what he's saying but not really an option imo as it only has 2 (-12an) fitting for inlet/outlet so i'd have to "T" off of them for it to work and in that case i'd rather run a "T" up from the engine area near the turbos so not sure if anyone makes a -12an "T" with a -6an male fitting off the center of it and i'd need 2 of them.

I'll look around if not i'll have to have something fab'd up i guess
Originally Posted by JAYPLUMB
Trix -- No first hand knowledge with this idea but I'm a plumber by trade and can suggest the following:

High point vents are the most effective way to get air out of any cooling system. I would use the steam ports on the motor as the high point vent on the engine. Tie all the steam ports together and add a small valve that you can use to bleed the air out with, also i would tie the steamports into your main cooling system so that you will have flow through the steamports and any unbleed air can be pushed out of the motor and to your tank.

Also filling the system from the bottom up will help in pushing air out the top through your high point vents.

Anywhere your cooilng hoses go down then up then down again is a potiental area for air to be trapped. Take your time filling the system from the bottom up and bleeding it multiple times and you will get the air completely out.

Your tank will not need to be completely air tight. I would vent it out the rear of you car to allow for expansion.

Hope this helps.
I hear ya on all points and the water tank does already have a -10an vent that i will run a line out the back of the car behind the tires

Originally Posted by Drj8787
Have u consider just running coolant/water to the turbos only? Your really Vague about what ur using the car for n what not. Do u have a lot of money in the motor? Some of the people I know with a single turbo set up 100% drag car aren't cooling it at all no water, no radiator, not filling with anything just venting it is that an option. I've seen others with a radiator mounted dope style in 5th gen 100% drag car.

Like I said if you give more info on what the intent is and more detail on set up n what not you might get more responses
Sorry if it wasn't clear but i thought i posted initially that the car is a 100% drag car no real street miles will be put on it

I'd feel more comfortable running the water tank set-up in case we race and have to go rounds and cool the engine down as needed.

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
You don't need a pressurized water system. The rule pump will provide enough.

If you're running Alcohol, consider dry decking and filling the block just cooling the heads, it would be much safer in the event you lift a head.

The steam vents can be plumbed Into 1 -4 line and ran back to the water tank. As for the turbo water supply, how much water is needed ?
We will start out on E85 and then on to alcohol once we work out some of the bugs etc on this engine which is fully "wet" so dry decked/fulled block may be an option down the road but not now.

I do have a steam vent kit already merging to 1 -4an line and was thinking of routing it to a little can/tank up higher than the engine instead of having to run a line all the way back to the tank does that sound feasible?

If anyone has an y leads on a "T" that can have -12's on either side with -6 in the middle please lmk or any other solution is appreciated!
Old 12-14-2015, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Been digging around and maybe something like this plumbed into each one of the -12 feed and return lines?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/9251...d=#moreDetails

With one of these coming off the "T" going to the turbos and then back?
http://www.jegs.com/i/Earls/361/9919...d=#moreDetails

This sounds like it's going to get very expensive quickly

Quick Reply: Help with plumbing cooling system without radiator?