Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 220K mile 98 z28 drag thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....and the track scale wasn't working so I couldn't weight the car for the rear end change.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Back out last night and something's not right. A lot of wheel hop.

I found out what tripped the SES light last time out. It was a knock sensor. There is a little engine noise on startup when it's cold out. It is a 223k mile engine after all. The sensor must have picked up a little piston slap or whatever pain the old engine is feeling. I get the same pains in my old body when it's cold. Anyway, I cleared the code and it has not returned. I wonder if a little timing is pulled when the sensor goes off as evidenced by a little better mph after the code was cleared.

Only two passes last night again because of cars breaking and oiling the track. First pass resulted in a lot of wheel hop in the burnout so I let out at soon as I could so not much of a burnout. It wheel hopped bad on launch so I let out and pedaled it. The rearview mirror shook loose. Time stunk but mph was 107.x, which is a silver lining because last time out it was 106 on a much cleaner pass. I am hoping for 108 - 109 in good weather.

I thought I found the problem - one of the coilover springs was unseated from jacking the car up. Fixed and tested in the parking lot and all seemed well. Added a little air to the tires and second run finally got a decent burnout with no hop. But had a mix of hop and tire spin on launch so more pedaling and 2.something 60'.

There's work to do. Something's not right. Time to start diagnosing.

Last edited by gesto; 01-26-2019 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-26-2019, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Weight on the track scale was 3,080 without me and half tank of gas. With me it was 3,285. Weight before the 9" was about 3,030 empty and a quarter tank of gas. Adjust for 30 pounds of gas (6 lbs x 5 gallons) and I estimate a 20 lb gain from the rearend and suspension. I lost 15 lbs to do my share.
Old 08-01-2021, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

I know I am bringing up a long dead post, but am wondering if the op is still running and building this high mile Z-28.
It was cool hearing about this 225k LS1 engine still doing what it was meant to do after all those miles.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for asking. I still have the car. it's in storage along with my GTO and haven't had it out since January of 2019. I had some life changes happen but i plan to keep moving forward with the car, hopefully later this Fall. Our good Houston 1/4 track shut down so I may be doing 1/8 mile. We'll see. The rear end is leaking from the yoke and I still need to get the rear suspension set up figured out.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

OK. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to see how this grass roots real world ride does as you mod it.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the car out of storage. As I was driving it a few miles to the shop the battery died at a red light and a police officer came and started giving me crap about the lapsed inspection and no interior in the car. Definitely not a car guy. lol. He asked me where the rest of the vehicle was. I was lucky he didnt give me a ticket. New radiator, hoses, belts, fluids, gas and it passed inspection with only one seat and strange rear brakes with no emergency brake and no abs. Still looks like a big piece of crap. I have a c7 zo6 and I get a bigger thrill out of driving this old POS. I love this loud, crappy old white trash thing.

You can only imagine what the tires are like. drag radials sitting since January, 2019. They are square and shot. Time for lightweight wheels and new dr's. I'd love to take another 25 - 40lbs off the car. I dropped about 40 - 50 lbs myself.

Shopping for the lightest combo I can reasonably get. Front skinnies and 15 * 10 rears. Want to run a 275 DR. Either Hoosier or MT r's. Any suggestions on the lightest combo? I figured a draglite with Hoosiers is probably a good combo. Using 7.5" backspacing. Or maybe 7.25" if I can't find 7.5. I don't mind cutting the rear fenders. Hope I don't have to grind the rear strange brake calipers. 15 * 5" for the front probably. A little heavier than 3.5" I know, but i like the idea of a little wider wheel for the front. I'll take any advice you guys can offer. There are so many wheels out there that research takes forever.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-20-2021, 05:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Gusto, sorry to see no one has responded with recommendations for wheels and tires. I don't have any experience in that department.

It's interesting that you mention the C7 Z06. I sold my 2000 Camaro SS in 2017 and miss it. I purchased a 2011 Corvette Grand Sport M6 thinking it would relieve my yearning for the Camaro. I was wrong. I still miss the Camaro.... there's something about the Yank 3600 in the setup I had that just "does it" for me.

Quick Reply: My 220K mile 98 z28 drag thread