Sponsored by:

Need more traction

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need more traction

What up ls1tech..

I have a 99 camaro it's a stock ls1 m6, I do have LT headers off road y and it's tuned. I'm looking for more traction. I have 19x10.5 rear wheels with 285/35 eagle f1 tires made by Goodyear. I have almost NO traction in first and second gear at WOT. Nitto sells 305/35 tires that seem like they would work well. I'm looking for better traction on the street. Should I get smaller wheels like 17's? Will the smaller wheel help with traction?? What are you guys all running on the street?

I lost a race because I couldn't get any traction in second gear
Old 11-16-2016, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You need drag radials.. Look into Nitto or Mickey Thompson drag radials for daily driver use..
Old 11-16-2016, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Since I have 19 inch wheels I can only fit a short sidewall will that affect my traction with a drag radial? Should I buy smaller wheels first?
Old 11-16-2016, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisdiaz288
Since I have 19 inch wheels I can only fit a short sidewall will that affect my traction with a drag radial? Should I buy smaller wheels first?
If you are looking to make a big improvement on traction a smaller set of wheels with a drag radial is a much better way to go. With the 19" wheel your options are very limited and you have very little sidewall.

Aaron @ Scoggin Dickey Parts Center
Email:Aaron387@sdparts.com
Phone: 1-800-456-0211 Ext: 324
Old 11-16-2016, 03:38 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisdiaz288
What up ls1tech..

I have a 99 camaro it's a stock ls1 m6, I do have LT headers off road y and it's tuned. I'm looking for more traction. I have 19x10.5 rear wheels with 285/35 eagle f1 tires made by Goodyear. I have almost NO traction in first and second gear at WOT. Nitto sells 305/35 tires that seem like they would work well. I'm looking for better traction on the street. Should I get smaller wheels like 17's? Will the smaller wheel help with traction?? What are you guys all running on the street?

I lost a race because I couldn't get any traction in second gear
Those Eagle F1's are a joke when it comes to traction. I had a set on my old Ws6 and they felt like they may as well have been made by Lego. I swapped to 17's with a set of Nitto NT05's and it was a world of difference. Going to a 15" with a drag radial will make an even more dramatic difference.

There are suspension factors that can contribute to this as well. Is your car lowered? Whether it is lowered or not, the addition of LCA relocation brackets will help the tires dig in and hook. Additionally, replacing the stock weak lower control arms with tubular ones will improve how the car plants. These are normally the first 2 steps I recommend to someone fighting traction issues

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 11-17-2016, 11:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

There are many ways you can go with your car such as a more race-oriented tire and wheel combo, aftermarket shocks would also help also I would look into rear lca's, relocation brackets, and a torque arm these are only some of the items that can get you going on the right track.

Quick Reply: Need more traction