Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question for you all. first time to the track

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for you all. first time to the track

have watched Drag races for a while. had friends that did a lot of racing but never have had the chance to take my own car.
that time is coming up.

my car is a 2002 Z28 pretty much all stock other that SLP lid, K&N, and Magnaflow cat back.
The car has Vette wheels on it with 18s on the back running Nitto NT 555 that are 285/35/zr18.
I don't have slicks or drag radials yet.
this might sound stupid but just want to make sure. I have heard from a few people when going up to the burnout box to stay out of the water since after a burnout I might still have some water in the tread that could cause me to slip. what are you alls thoughts.
and what would be my best bet for a good launch? T/C off, footbrake to 1000 RPM then let it loose?
just a newb looking for some advise
Old 07-11-2017, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd agree with that you listed out.

First and foremost, the goal is to have fun. Make sure you do.

For street tires, I'd recommend driving around the water box, you can then backup if you need room, and do a small burnout just to clean your tires off, but make sure you're not in any water.

If you've never staged a car at the track it can be daunting to some at first. Best advice I can give is to slowly let the car roll and cover the brake pedal with your foot as your approach the beams. Once the top bulb on the tree lights, stop. Then put your left foot on the brake and bring your RPMs up to 1000 or so like you mentioned and then look at the tree. Slowly and steadily bump the brake pedal to make tiny movements towards the next beam, which will turn the bottom stage bulb on. From there just look at the 3rd amber bulb and when it turns out release the brake and put the go pedal to the wood!

You can practice that staging process anywhere. The process I described is called shallow staging. You're basically trying to barely trip the stage beam with the front tire. This gives you a head start and offers the best elapsed times. The further you roll into the stage beam the less of a head start you get and the slower your times get.

I'm sure others may have some other things to say as well.

You want to make sure the car is in D3, or whatever it is that will keep the car from shifting into overdrive. (Someone can chime in on that.)

Have fun and good luck!
Old 07-11-2017, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Go around the waterbox if possible, spin street tires lightly to clean em off, you may spin anyway, and have fun.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With my street tires I would go through the water and just warm them up enough to dry them off. Always worked for me as long as it wasn't too little or too much heat. Either way you will be spinning on street tires.

Just have fun. Drag racing is a lifestyle and I'm hooked for life.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Just relax and let her fly. I will just say what has been said, go around the water box with street tires, the person behind you will appreciate you not dragging water around for his run where he will probably blow the tires off. I hate when I'm behind a front wheel drive car or a dim wit with street tires going threw the water box, almost a guaranteed wasted run due to blowing off my tires from the water they flung everywhere.

Quick Reply: question for you all. first time to the track