Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

moving axle backwards

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 05:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Default moving axle backwards

I'll probably have to get new driveline made with the new nine inch. I remember reading about moving the axle back a inch to clear bigger tires but you have to have a new driveline made. Do you just measure stock lca and adjust the adjustable ones a inch longer. Any thing else. Thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Mine were too far back and needed to come forward. Best thing to do is just mount a set and see where you're at.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

1" may be too far. When I put my S60 in it was over an inch further back than stock wheelbase and my 26" tires wouldn't fit.

I have adjustable lcas (and everything else) so I put my wheelbase back to stock which is 101.1 inches. It wasn't that hard with simple measuring tools and pulling off the front wheels for exact measurements.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by fastlt1
I'll probably have to get new driveline made with the new nine inch. I remember reading about moving the axle back a inch to clear bigger tires but you have to have a new driveline made. Do you just measure stock lca and adjust the adjustable ones a inch longer. Any thing else. Thanks
Sorry for 2 responses but to answer your question about setting your lcas one inch longer the answer is probably not. Your nine inch probably has different slots for your lcas which put the lcas at a different angle than stock... if you have it setup like that (which I do to get the desired negative angle I wanted).

I've only ran 26" tires but I highly recommend getting your wheelbase, pinion angle, lcas angles, and panhard adjustments exactly right with your desired ride height and use of the car.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Probably the least technical answer possible, but I just eyeballed it on the passenger side, measured the diagonals and adjusted the driver side to match. Center of the well worked for 28’s for me
Old 10-16-2017, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

^^^^Lol, mine are just basically eyeballed as well. Just kept taking wheel to quarter measurements at the same spot on both sides until I felt they were both as close to perfect as me and a tape measure were gonna get them. Car doesn't pull dog walk so I think they are fine.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I normally recommend to install an adjustable LCA by setting it to the same length as a stock arm first, then adjusting it once it is installed on the car. I normally like to reference the stock wheelbase of 101.1". Make sure your rear is close to this. But if for some reason you have to vary from that measurement, the most important thing is that it is even side to side. So whatever you do set the wheelbase to, make sure both side match so you don't end up with thrust angle problems

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 10-16-2017, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
I normally recommend to install an adjustable LCA by setting it to the same length as a stock arm first, then adjusting it once it is installed on the car. I normally like to reference the stock wheelbase of 101.1". Make sure your rear is close to this. But if for some reason you have to vary from that measurement, the most important thing is that it is even side to side. So whatever you do set the wheelbase to, make sure both side match so you don't end up with thrust angle problems
+1 this is pretty much what I did with the lca's and the panhand bar. Gets everything pretty close then go from there.

Quick Reply: moving axle backwards