Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a tune possibly fix this problem???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a tune possibly fix this problem???

Can anyone help me out and let me know if a tune will fix my problem??? I have a brand new motor with less than 7 miles on it. It has a fairly loud ticking noise coming from the driverside wheel well. Sounds like it might be in the heads near cylinder 5 or 7. Everything is brand new on the engine including the exhaust from headers back to exhuast tip. I pulled the valve covers off and rechecked the rocker arms and had to re adjust 3 and 5 cylinder rocket arms a little and I changed all the sparkplugs and found number 7 cylinder fouled then I blew the number 7 fuel injector o ring twice on the crappy fast fuel rail. I replaced fuel rails and all injectors because I figured maybe I had a bad injector that was leaking down and causing the engine to make a fuel ping, however it is still making the sound. The 5.3 liter had the DOD deleted out of the computer and it had all that crap taken off the engine and the proper cam and lifters installed as part of the trickflow 205 genx top end kit with the harlan sharp roller rockers.. Could it not being tuned yet make a fairly loud tapping/ ticking sound? Please help !!! I am growing frustrated with this 5.3 liter. oh and the ticking sounds speeds up with rpms. Oil pressure is good at about 45 psi and engine temp is good at 195 and it is currently running very rich as I can smell gas in the exhuast
Old 08-16-2018, 04:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

And NO exhaust leaks ?...….can cause a "ticking" sound.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

what brand of headers? some brands use thinner material that the exhaust sound can be more noticeable than others. my used SLP headers ticked after I installed them on my driver side by cylinders 3-7. I just lived with it but at times get annoyed by the ticking lol.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:47 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the responses, they are Gibson Headers. I will recheck my torq specs on the header flange to ensure they have not heated up and contracted and become loose. I know the exhaust from the collectors all the way back are good. I hope its just a leak like you stated, i would hate to have to tear into it for a lifter only to find out its not the issue. Again thank you all for your help.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:57 PM
Teching In

All thanks for the help. It ended up being 2 bad injectors even though they were new. Put in the new injectors and all is quiet and running good