Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how does headwind effect 1/4 mph?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 08:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how does headwind effect 1/4 mph?

Hey all!

Long time reader, first time poster.. I am curious if there is an equation that calculates how headwind negatively effects 1/4 mile MPH? A rule of thumb? I've done some searching on the internet and other than your 'typical' equations(1/8th to 1/4 equation, hp and tq based on ET and mph, etc), have come up short. Thanks and look forward to participating on this board!

Brian
90 ZR-1
12.09@118
01 Z06
not stock
Old 10-19-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, whats up and welcome ... That will all depend on how much headwind you have for obvious reasons (resistance) the more wind the slower your car will run in the 1/4.

Just the reverse for a good tail wind..
Old 10-20-2004, 09:32 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I ran my best time ever in a rather strong headwind. The flags flying were completely straight....I still wonder how much better I would have done if it weren't for that wind.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aerodynamics take effect at about 60-80mph...drag reduces et...drag in the drivetrain & drag on the body...tailwind can hurt as much as it can help...headwind also...how much the drag effects your ride depends on the frontal area and how you cut the wind...in addition to cutting the wind you must then manage the wind...a teardrop is the most aero-correct shape known...air under the car creates drag & can disturb management...most really fast cars are as low as possible and somewhat teardrop shaped...next time you get a chance look at a funnycar or promod from above...also carefully study the frontal area and how the body lines are massaged to a point in the rear...most rear wings on really fast cars are straight out with an adjustable wicker-bill for downforce & wind conditions at different tracks...really fast cars are also wedge shaped to create some downforce while shrouding the front tires....they also will have belly pans on the bottom and especially the rear so the rear panel doesnt act like a chute(funnycars have openings that flap ussually the taillites)...hope this helps...but in any case, a headwind is preferable to a crosswind
Attached Thumbnails how does headwind effect 1/4 mph?-2050my_camaro.jpg  

Quick Reply: how does headwind effect 1/4 mph?