Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem after the track today.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem after the track today.

Went to Lapeer today and didn't run what I would have liked to run due the crappy track conditions and 30 mph headwind. Ran a 12.52 @113 mph. On the way home, decided to jump on it on a back road and after hearing a flapping like sound, the check guages light came on. Started looking and saw the volt meter was below 13 and then looked at the temp guage and it was climbing like a rocket. Shut it down quickly. My son was watching autotap and the temp hit 264. Coasted over opened the hood and water was boiling out of the radiator inlet. No belt. Started looking down and green fluid was coming out of the bottom air conditioner hose. No a/c belt either. The hose was right up against the pulley on the air conditioner. It looks like the rubbing of the a/c hose put fluid on the serpintine belt which just shredded. The a/c belt was nowhere to be found. Found the serpintine belt in shreds. Anybody have any other ideas and did I catch it quick enough to not hurt the engine?
Old 10-31-2004, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

264 shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like you did the right thing.

You'll probably have to get that a/c line replaced and the a/c recharged...
Old 10-31-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John_D.
264 shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like you did the right thing.

You'll probably have to get that a/c line replaced and the a/c recharged...
Yeah, that line will have to be replace. I've read that I could have to replace the accumulator. Anybody have any ideas on this?
Old 10-31-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just looked though the entire engine bay and found parts of the belts all over. Strange thing though, the tension pulleys for the a/c looks like they are shot. Something either melted on them or just chewed them up. Here is a picture of the pulleys.

Here is a pic of what remains of the belts.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:47 PM
Launching!

It sounds like the crank pulley bolt cae loose. It happened on my old Vette. I am pretty sure I saw you at Lapeer today, car looked good. I had the pewter Trans Am. Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GPowrie
It sounds like the crank pulley bolt cae loose. It happened on my old Vette. I am pretty sure I saw you at Lapeer today, car looked good. I had the pewter Trans Am. Good luck getting it fixed.
Yeah, I saw you there. Your car ran pretty good. I think I may have blew the a/c belt at the track. I've driven up and down the road and can't find any part of the small belt. I never thought of the crank bolt coming loose. I'll have to check that out. What did you run today?
Old 10-31-2004, 10:54 PM
Launching!

The best I could do today was 10.808. The ET streets I was running today were about 4 years old. I realy wanted to through some more nitrous at it but I just did not have traction.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The best I could do today was 10.808. The ET streets I was running today were about 4 years old. I realy wanted to through some more nitrous at it but I just did not have traction.
That was the problem I had, no traction. I have nittos on the back and they are quite old. I was running 12.50's all day. I hit the nitrous and still only ran 12.52. I didn't even feel it kick in. I'm wondering if it's working at all. I ran 12.54 on motor. When I did use the n2o, the car started missing real bad at the shift points in 3rd and 4th gear and the mph went from 113 on motor to 105 on n2o. Something was definately wrong there. That's why I jumped on it on Stoney Creek road, to see if I could get this miss again. The good news is, I didn't get it. The bad news is, this happened. By the way, I just went out and checked the crank pulley. It does not move at all. Feels good and tight so I don't think that was the problem.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:23 PM
Launching!

See if you can turn the crank bolt by hand though. The pulley won't feel loose untill it falls off. It is pressed on and will stay tight untill it is way off. Nitrous system problems can be a pain but I would think that the belts may have also been a problem.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

See if you can turn the crank bolt by hand though. The pulley won't feel loose untill it falls off. It is pressed on and will stay tight untill it is way off. Nitrous system problems can be a pain but I would think that the belts may have also been a problem.
I'll check the crank bolt tonight and let you know.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got the new serpantine belt on this morning and started the car. Let it warm up and it started fine and idled fine. Took it for a short drive and everything seems okay. Hopefully all is well and nothing else is broke. I don't think it got hurt by the temp that it got to. I'd still like to know what happened. The upper and lower tension pulleys for the a/c are shot. So I still don't know what caused this. Anyway, it seems alright.