Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running 1 or 2 or 3 different classes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 04:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Running 1 or 2 or 3 different classes?

I'm getting a new power plant put in the ol' hotrod this winter & If I find during shake down passes that the car runs fairly close to 10.10 on motor and 9.10 on the bottle, i'd like to run (IHRA - Super rod & Quick rod) at my local track. If they will let me, I will even go into non-electronics class (NO-Box) too. But here's the question... Let's say I am about a tenth under or over the index (for one or both classes) how can I dial in my car to make or loose a little bit of horse power. I know there are a tone of different variables (weather, track prep, etc.), but those of you who are trying to run an index how are you doing it without delay boxes or throttle stops. Especially if you need to pick up a tenth or 2? I have some ideas but I will throw it on the table for you guy's. I'd like to see how you guy's are doing it.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:35 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a few ideas:

I short-shift or hold the shift longer to slow down or pick-up et. If you're running a class that allows nitrous, use it at different parts of the track to gain time. If the rules don't allow electronic throttle stops, you can always use a bolt stop under the gas pedal or use a bolt/nut on the throttle blade casting. GeorgeC did this to slow his car down and it worked well....

Derek
Old 11-23-2004, 08:54 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On the bottle you can consistently run 9.00's or 10.00's by using a Digiset Timer to delay your nitrous. Let's say your car runs 9.80 on spray. You can put .1 seconds of delay in it and shave two tenths off upstairs. This is legal versus a delay box which is not. The rules are written to prevent you from running a stutter box down track. Nothing says that you can't delay your nitrous or anything at the start of the race.

I consistently went 10.0x once I had this all set up on a small amount of nitrous. You don't really want to get in and out of it on spray. You'll break stuff. As far as NA goes, I never tried to run both classes. It took too much time to turn the car around to make two calls back to back. Plus, my NA setup required a different tune then my N2O setup did.

On the other hand you can just fire it out of the hole and go for the win. Let up if you are ahead and do your best to chase if you are behind.

Good luck.