Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chevy Truck and trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chevy Truck and trailer

I post here b/c I figure most of the people that will know about this will be the ones that drag race (ie tow cars to track)...anway.

Picked up a trailer and it has a 6way plug on it, with our tow truck that has the adjustable brake 'thing' it works fine but when buddy's have newer 99+ Chevy 1500 with towing package that comes with the 7 way plug we start to have problems.

OK, Chevy comes with 7 way plug but no 'slider' to adjust the amount of brake on the trailer to be aplied, we get an adaptor to go from 7 to 6 and hook up trailer, the brakes lock and stay that way. Pull a fuse (dont remember which one) and the brakes unlock but they dont work (defeats the purpose of having trailer brakes).

What are our options, i figure it is to get one of those slider deals and put it on the truck so you can adjust the brakes but is that the easiest and do they simply plug into the factory harness (buddy said it was supposed to...)
Old 01-03-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

sounds like you need an electric brake controller.

the trucks w/ the towing package (with the 7 pin connector out back) have electric brake hookup...but they have no output until you connect to the factory electric brake hookup to a elec brake controller
Old 01-03-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good.
so if we put in the brake controller and then use the 7 to 6 pin conversion it all should work?
I sure hope so!
Old 01-03-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

you can use a 6-pin conversion -OR- put a 7-pin on the trailer.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, thanks!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:02 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they sell a brake controller harness that plugs right into the block uder the LH side of the dash and you will need a brake controller naturally. If there is no controller in the truck and it still has the factory trailer wiring it shouldnt lock up the trailer brakes. Its possible someone rewired the trailer or truck at one time so doublecheck everything. If it has factory trailer wiring one wire is hooked right to the battery (center of the 7 pin I believe) and has constant power.

Some companies sell a pre-wired brake controller and cable that just plugs right in, couple screws and you are done.

I had trailer tow on my '01 and used one of those plug and play brake controllers, my trailer had a 6 pin and I just used one of those rubber 6 to 7 pin adapters and it works fine, never had to cut or strip a wire...