Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to to the track

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to to the track

So i'm new to the tracxk and RWD cars, always had a FWD sports compact so now i finally have my first real car. I was just wondering how all of you warm up your tires? What i mean is how you all do burnouts and whatnot. It just seems like you put up the e brake but i don't wanna screw anything up, please don't flame or make fun as all this is new to me like i said. I have just recently gotten into racing (been around cars all my life though, dad works for ford and grandpa worked for GM) because my main love is music and drumming has been my main focus for the last 8 years but i figured i should get into a hobby and i love my SS and do a bit of street racing but reaslly would love to start at the track. Please, i need some feedback. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2005, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Don't go through the water box! (unless you have slicks, then by all means) If you are going to be using regular street tires just do a burnout for a few seconds to the tires warm and clean the dirt off of them. If you heat them up for too long, they will get greasy and give you less traction. Run regular street tires at around 23-25psi out back and around 30-35psi up front.
For drag radials it all depends. My Nittos like a big john force style burn out, while the M/T DRs don't need nearly as much becasuse they are a much softer compound to begin with.

As for how to do a burnout in an M6, my bird is an A4 so its easy and my DD is a 5spd honduh that can't do a burnout, so I don't really know.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Take the RPMs to about 5 grand and dump the clutch in the burnout box. Don't floor it, just enough to keep em spinning. You will start to move forward and then the tires will grab. Once they do, you are done. It's time to stage and go. Just be careful, your *** end will want to drift to the right on you. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! But i heard that dumpin the clutch at that high of RPM's will damage the car's rear end? I usually just launch from about 2000 RPM's and fishtail and spin through first and partly through second before i grab enough traction.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

save up for better tires
Old 04-23-2005, 01:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by titaniumSS
Thanks! But i heard that dumpin the clutch at that high of RPM's will damage the car's rear end? I usually just launch from about 2000 RPM's and fishtail and spin through first and partly through second before i grab enough traction.
in the waterbox it shouldn't hurt it to bad, if any at all. doing it slowly is the quickest way to smoke your clutch
Old 04-23-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Well nobody actually answered ur ? on how to do a burnout, so here goes, bring the revs up to about 3 - 4 grand and dump the clutch and immediately after dumping the clutch, get that foot onto the brake and at the same time give more gas, not too hard on the brake though, otherwise you'll bog it down and stall out, just enough to hold the car there and then hold the rpms up around 5000 plus. It takes a little gettin used too and couple times to get it down (my first time at the track doin a burnout way back when when I first started and still had a 6-speed I got on the brake too hard and stalled out, boy was that embarrasing) but you'll get it.

Now as for doin it with street tires, I don't recommend it, i'd say just dump it at around 3 to 4 grand and then floor it and spin up toward the startin line for a few seconds and let out just to clean 'em off and you should be good to go.

PS - Using the e-brake would do nothing but put stress on ur e-brake, it's a rwd car, and the e-brake holds ur rear wheels so nothing would be holding the front wheels and you would just be burnin up the ebrake and still moving forward. Best way to do a burnout without putting any stress on ur brakes would be to get a linelock, it locks ur front brakes on and leaves the rear free, so no stress on the rear brakes, but it's not necessary.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot! I've got the picture now and i finally can go to the track tomorrow with some confidence in the burnout box lol, sorry for the dumb question, i just didn't really know where/who to ask and i know everyone on here has much knowledge on cars.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i must say i like the line(you always had a fwd sport compact and you finally got A REAL CAR)brings a tear to my eye.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

LOL thanks, it just has such a different feeling and makes you feel so much more in control and you can have more fun! Try to do a donut in a SVT focus....yeah, that doesn't add up, nor did my decision in even getting it though, not sure why i even got it before i decided on my first REAL car lol
Old 04-24-2005, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Oh yeah, and it feels much better to talk with you guys about putting performance modifications on rather than getting on focus forums and hearing about what euro lights to get and what rims and neons and crap like that. lol
Old 04-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by titaniumSS
Oh yeah, and it feels much better to talk with you guys about putting performance modifications on rather than getting on focus forums and hearing about what euro lights to get and what rims and neons and crap like that. lol
That's what I thought after leaving superhonda.com ( ) and coming here.