Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recirculating Coolant Tank...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm sorry, but i wanna make sure i have this right...from the nipple on the radiator cap, run that line to the BOTTOM of the new tank...and the top line of the new tank to the other connection on the radiator? thanks
Old 07-02-2005, 01:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by liftin'em on nittos
i'm sorry, but i wanna make sure i have this right...from the nipple on the radiator cap, run that line to the BOTTOM of the new tank...and the top line of the new tank to the other connection on the radiator? thanks
the top nipple on the radiator goes to the bottom of the jug. the top of the jug leave open. The other lower nipple in the radiator goes to the coolant line coming from the heads.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:25 AM
Banned

got it, thanks!!
Old 07-02-2005, 09:27 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike K.
drive about 1 time a week about 80 miles total, sometimes not even that but no it does not overflow, at first I had the top portion closed off with a vacuum cap but I noticed that when the coolant started cooling off and sucking back into my radiator that even the coolant hoses looked like they had sucked in and if I removed my cap I heard a whoosh as the pressure release, I decided to try it with the top uncapped one day just to see if it would relieve the pressure since thats kinda like stock and it did.

Im in the same boat as you have a fuel cell there now so need the aftermarket tank.
well crap, it spewed out a bit last night at the track. was fine driving to work and out to the track, about 80 miles, but on my 3rd or 4th pass it let a litte out the top. not much, but still concerned about it. made a couple more passes and it was fine.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Banned

but more importantly what were the results from the track 383??
Old 07-02-2005, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

now driving on the road today its overflowing quite a bit maybe I need a bigger jug.

what temp is your guys engine runnig at?? mines around 185, maybe that is higher causing more expansion

nothing great from the track. track prep and weather was crap last night. just ran NA, breaking in the new clutch and tranny. next friday will be SPRAY hello 9's
Old 07-03-2005, 02:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it shouldn't be overflowing like that. either one of two things, either you have way too much extra coolant in there. (whenn my car is cold there should be VERY little coolant in the jug, almost nothing)
OR
your radiator pressure cap is bad and is letting too much coolant by.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

Just get that fixed before you go to the track. Nothing more slippery than coolant.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

ok, I've tried it with the radiator full and with it at various lower levels. it still spews out. guess, I'll try changing the cap. it does not suck any back in when the motor cools down.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Junkie

I think I know what is wrong then, are you sure that you have the tank that has the syphon pipe in it? you may have a non recirculating tank, When I had my non recirc tank the first one it would just keep filling up and up and up until it would spew, then I got the recirc one and it works great, I have even shook it when warmed up and cool and when warm there is coolant in there and when cool there is not.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Just did some more research on this and I was wrong your coolant tank is not like mine yours is just an overflow tank not a recirc one. its the petcock that gives it away

Check out this link

http://www.jazproducts.com/index2.htm

You have this kind

its just an overflow which fills up then spews out.

The kind I have and what you need is this one

its a recovery tank that fills up then syphons out as the coolant cools, it has a little syphon tube in it that does this and you hook up the overflow hose into the bottom fitting.

Sorry I did not catch that earlier I just got confused cause I had the petcock one the first go around and had it mixed up with my current one. In short you need a new tank
Old 07-04-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Junkie

damn now I just got what sux2bu was saying, it does make sense to plug it into the bottom and leave the petcock open, it should syphon this way as well, maybe you do have a bad cap or something. hmmm.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got an overflow tank at Checker Auto parts for $10. It has a nipple at the bottom and a vent at the top. Even includes a mounting bracket.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01-Z
If it weighed much that more than my moroso, I would have put the moroso in.
I still have the moroso in my tool box.

But hey, to each his own.
The stock tank by itself doesn't weight that much, but filled with fluid it does. You can just run the tank really low all the time to save the weight, but it's difficult to monitor the level that why and easy for it to suck air into the radiator.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep we sell them at Pep Boys for 7.99

Quick Reply: Recirculating Coolant Tank...?