Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launching an A4

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launching an A4

What launch technique have you used to get your lowest ET?

I have a stock 05 GTO A4. Does brake stalling help or flashing the covertor?

Regards,
Old 07-29-2005, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

When my converter was stock, I would brake stall it to just the point of the tires breaking loose.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if this was an fbody it would be one thing. But with your GTO and the IRS its a whole nother kettle of fish. One thing in your favor is that it is a A4. If you havent taken it to the track and stompped on the gas then do so. See if you get bad wheel hop. CUs if you foot brake stall (maybe up to 1500 rpms) and hit it hard you might hop and hop bad.

Frankly your going to have to ease into it and get it where it wont hop. If you talk to other GTO guys, they all talk bout wheel hop (just like 03/04 cobra guys). There are only a few things that keep the hop down. One is a complete rearend poly bushing kit that BMR makes, and maybe sticky tires (M/T et radials).

There was a guy at the track with a 04 GTO, A4 and it was BUILT, just like a fbody, heads cam, bolt on's etc etc with a IRS and M/T radials. He ran fastest of the GTO's in attendance (like 7 of them) but he ran LOW 12's. The same combo in a fbody should be high 11's (but maybe the weight difference was the ultimate factor + drive train loss).
Old 07-29-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I always take a new car or a newly modded car out to a deserted parking lot and heat up the tires really well. Roll out onto clean surface just like you would at the track and foot brake it while watching the tach. At the point that the tires just begin to break loose (when hot and clean) take note of the rpm you're at. I usually stage 200 rpm less than that and simultaneously floor it and release the brake when the third amber hits. It has always netted me good launches when not using a trans brake. You could, with practice, try flashing the convertor, but if you mess it up you will either redlight or blow the launch with tirespin. I am of course assuming that you'll be running a good sticky tire. You will have a little leeway due to trac prep and surface temps, but it will all come with practice. Hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Banned

Guys. Thanks for the tips I will definetly use them.

Regards,
Old 07-29-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best advice is to try different techniques and experiment. On some tracks even a Top Fuel car could make a great pass on street tires ... other tracks not even slick will keep a stock LS1 from spinning. Track prep is the key, try and go on days when the track prep is better. Try all the techiniques to get the best results. Log them if you have to and look at the 60' mainly, not the 1/4 mile ET ... least of all the MPH. Try everything from no burnout to a five second burnout. Try increasing your starting line rpm from idle to almost breaking the tires loose. You'll find your sweet spot. Another suggestion is to ask those at the track running great numbers and hooking, what they are doing and what they feel about the track and conditions. Good luck and have fun.