Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible my suspension was bound up.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it possible my suspension was bound up.....

For a year or so now (ever since I originally put my rear hal shocks in and did some other stuff at the same time), the rear of the car has been super stiff, and no matter what setting I put the shocks on, it didn't really change, the tires would bounce instead of the suspension moving, but I did everything right, so I thought nothing of it, but ever since then I haven't been able to hook the car no matter what i've done, yet before that, on stock shocks, I was cutting 1.58's on motor!

Well, I just put my new badz lca's in the other day, and I kind of messed up and didn't realize that I had to put the washers on each side of the backside of the lca where it bolts to the relocation brackets to fill in the space, and just tightened it and the brackets smooshed in, but I was in a rush and said **** it, i'll fix it later.

So tonight I just got under there and took the bolts back out, banged the relocate brackets back out to where they should be and put the washers on each side and retightened the bolts and let the car down. I don't know what made me push on the rear, but I did and now all the sudden, the suspension is actually moving! So is it possible my suspension has been bound up somewhere all this time and that's been contributing to my hooking issues? Let me know what you guys think, thanks for any help!
Old 08-01-2005, 07:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bound up is a problem.

225-343-9029
Old 08-01-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MADMAN
Bound up is a problem.
I know it's a problem if it's bound up, i'm tryin to figure out if it was or not. From what I explained, do you think it was? Cuz I mean it was stupid stiff, wouldn't move like at all even with the shocks on the lowest setting out back there!

Yet now all the sudden everything seems to be moving and working perfect!!! I really hope that it was and now isn't, cuz maybe it'll start working now!!
Old 08-01-2005, 08:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I dont see how that bound the car up BUT if it moves now and it didnt before then it was bound. Now you get to start over with all your testing to see what the car wants.

225-343-9029
Old 08-01-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I dont see how that bound the car up BUT if it moves now and it didnt before then it was bound. Now you get to start over with all your testing to see what the car wants.
hahhaa, yeah, now I get to start all over again is right, and hopefully it'll start hookin!!!! Yeah, I don't know how installing shocks could bind it up either, but all that matters is that it's actually moving now, and hopefully it'll make a diff!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 08:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

There is a trick for these cars on shocks. Call me tomorrow 281-290-8899

225-343-9029
Old 08-01-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

K, will do!

The only other thing I can think of, I loosened and took the bolts out of the lca where it mounts to the relocate brackets and let that side drop with the car sitting on the ground (didn't even touch the front part where it bolts to the body), then I had to jack the rear up to take the tires off cuz I couldn't get at the brackets with the hammer cuz they were in the way. And then when I tightened the bolts back up, the rear was on the jack, didn't have the car on jackstands, so when I dropped the lca while the car was sitting on the ground, maybe I released any kind of bind that may have been in the suspension and then kept it out when I tightened it back up with the jack under the rear, but who knows!
Old 08-01-2005, 09:12 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Devon,

Just my thoughts but you don't want to tighten anything suspension wise until the car is on the ground or binding can be a problem (as you described above). hope this ends up being a blessing for you hooking problems!

Derek
Old 08-01-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is interesting...
what LCAs did you have before?
From what you described here, you dropped the LCAs and all is fine now...
hmm....
Old 08-01-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
This is interesting...
what LCAs did you have before?
From what you described here, you dropped the LCAs and all is fine now...
hmm....
Had non-adjustable lakewoods.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Devon,

Just my thoughts but you don't want to tighten anything suspension wise until the car is on the ground or binding can be a problem (as you described above). hope this ends up being a blessing for you hooking problems!

Derek
Yeah, I hope so too!!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

devon PM me what madman tells you about the shock settings
Old 08-02-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

no kidding!
Old 08-02-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Had non-adjustable lakewoods.
The ones with the poly bushings? If you placed the washers out side the brackets, that is where the binding was ... it was crushing the poly bushing against the LCA sleeve. If the washer are smaller than the sleeve, this would bne it. By installing them on the inside, between the brackets and the bushing, you are no longer crushing the bushing with the brackets. Now the brackets are crushing the inner sleeve of the bushing, this is normal and will allow the LCA to rotate. This sounds like what happened, glad all is well.

PM me Brain's info as well, please.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks Brian! Hey also, forgot to tell ya on the phone, I did what you told me too with the thermostat and she's running quite a bit cooler on the highway. Drove 1 hour and 45 minutes to get to Immokalee Sunday in some nasty heat and left autotap on the whole time to watch the temp and she didn't get over 214 at my cruising speed on the highway that entire time, I appreciate the help big time, thanks man!
Old 08-02-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
The ones with the poly bushings? If you placed the washers out side the brackets, that is where the binding was ... it was crushing the poly bushing against the LCA sleeve. If the washer are smaller than the sleeve, this would bne it. By installing them on the inside, between the brackets and the bushing, you are no longer crushing the bushing with the brackets. Now the brackets are crushing the inner sleeve of the bushing, this is normal and will allow the LCA to rotate. This sounds like what happened, glad all is well.

PM me Brain's info as well, please.
Actually I never had the lakewoods in the relocate brackets, they wouldn't reach any of the lower holes, that's why I got the badz adjustables, but when I put them in wrong, everything was still bound up, then I pulled them out, banged the brackets back out to where they should be, put the washers on the inside and retightened and all the sudden it's all working!

PS - Madman's info wasn't about the shock settings, it was about how they mount, i'm sure he won't mind tellin you guys if ya give him a call, he doesn't seem to be the secrative type, always seems to wanna help others out with his knowledge, very nice guy!