Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launch advice for a newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Launch advice for a newbie...

I'm getting ready to take my T/A to the track for the first time, and I wanted to ask for some advice on the launch. I've got a stock clutch still with my M6. Should I rev high in neutral and dump it in second? It seems like first, while fun on the street, might make it harder for me to keep traction on the launch. What do you guys do on the launch with an M6, and do you have tips to keep the tires from breaking loose? Also what are they going to say about the rag top. I guess it has to be up. You can see from my sig thatI'm puttin down 335 rwhp. What should I hope for in ETs with a good launch?
Old 08-06-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Top and windows have to be up. I don't understand the rev it in nuetral then drop into 2nd bit ??? Roll around the water, quick burnout if you want, then launch nice and soft 2200-2500 RPM's. Build your launch from there. Magic 8 ball says you will run a 14.2 first run then a 13.7, and at the end of the night " shake, shake...." whalaahh a magical 13.2 timeslip will be yours. Have fun.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I like to just dump it from around 3500-4000, but you should experiment to see what works for your car, some like to rev to about 2500 and slip the clutch out till the tires plant in the ground, some like to rev it high and dump it, some like to let it bog a bit then mash the gas. Your tires will also dictate what works best. First drop the tire pressure to about 20PSI, dont waste your tire doing a huge burnout, just spin a bit to clean the tires, then at the line just try a few different ways of launching and see what works best for you.