Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery relocation wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Battery relocation wiring

I did a search and posted in the hybred section and didn't really turn up what I was hoping to find. I have to relocate the battery in my S10 due to my LS1 swap. I was wondering if it is within the rules to do what I have in mind. I was thinking of this that way I didn't have to run two wires the length of the truck http://www.geocities.com/jays_S10/cutoff.JPG. From what I have read on the various links that google throws out there they state that it has to go on the positive cable, but nothing actually sites the NHRA rules as far as I know. I mean, some of you guys that have worked on farms know that alot of the older tractors with a 6 volt charging system (also some older cars use this too) have a positive ground so what if you had a 1932 t bucket with the original charging system, would you run the disconnect on positive or negative? Eithor way it would kill the truck right? I'm just wondering what their logic is and would I be ok in tech if I hooked it up to the negative. Some guy at the counter at a local speed shop tried to tell me that if the truck hits the guardrail it may keep running if you use the method I was thinking of. Now, I've done numerous electrical courses in the military and done alot of stuff on the side for folks and a ground is considered a ground in AC wiring is just merely a drain for a voltage spike to excape from basically, not a connection to the ground. So how could this keep an engine running or is he just blowing smoke up my ****? Last I understood negatively charged electrons move to like positively charged electrons creating electricity from a common source IE battery generator ect ect. Help me out here because I must be missing something, or is my thinking right?.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, being nobody posted anything I would answer up with what I figured out after I thought about it somemore. Thinking about it a charging device also has two fields + and - just like the battery. Well, the ground for the alternator is the same as that of the battery and the alternator also puts out a - field. So basically it would run off the - field coming off the alternator casing. Took me awhile but I figured it out I guess.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your alternator would backfeed into the system and keep the car running how it is in that picture. You need to use the cutoff to isolate both the battery and alternator from the rest of the vehicle's electronics.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To save money on wire I bought 2ga from home depot by the foot, it just isnt as flexible as regular automotive 2ga. becaise the strands inside the casing are bigger. It seems to be working great and I have had no issues. If anyone knows a reason not to do this please post as I am curious myself. Im just a cheap bastard i guess

Quick Reply: Battery relocation wiring