Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Sponsorship

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Racing Sponsorship

I am going to be racing a full schedule next year at some local tracks, i know a few local owners that i would like to ask to help sponsor the car to help cut the cost. This will be the 1st Full Season i will be running, my question is, what is a fair price to ask to bring someone on as a Sponsor? Keep in mind i am not on the NHRA schedule. Just curious if anyone else is doing this and trying to find what everyone else does with this? Thanks
Old 08-22-2005, 11:28 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not an expert on this, but you want to make it a reasonable request (money, product or a combo of both), and remember the costs involved in putting their name on your car somewhere (decals, clothing, etc). You want to help them promote their product/service, and by doing that you want to tell/list why you're a good candidate for that! Keep in mind that a business wants to advertise with whatever brings in customers, and while some are geared more towards certain forms of advertising, others may not want to get into racing only for promotions. Car shows, promotions for the business, and getting their name(s) out are others forms to use. Most experts agree you should have a presentation prepared (on paper and speech/pitch form) with what level(s) of sponsership you offer, and what costs to the business are at each level (levels can be determines by amount of work you do for them, size/placement of decals, etc). Check out National Dragster, as they have a column from a motorsports marketing manager every month that gives tips on this subject.

Good luck!

Derek
Old 08-22-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks..Good Start.. Unfortunatley the sponsors i am looking at are not local venders, in fact one is a local titty bar that the owner is somewhat a friend of the family, but u can still see the benifits of sponsorship on the local tracks and car shows.. Thanks Jim
Old 08-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Launching!

I have had sponsors on my car for the last 4 years of racing. I have had as little as dyno time to as much as 1500.00 for the door. I would talk with the sponsor and see what they are thinking of. I would recommend not painting the logo on though. If the sponsor doesn't pay, you're stuck with a painted panel. Vinyl stickers come off easy. Just remember that the better you get and the more you win you get more money. DON'T cut yourself short. Parts are not a bad idea. Gas, entry fees work great too. Hope this helps a little.

Ken
Old 08-22-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Veteran

i get anything from free dyno and shop time to parts at cost to parts with a big discount to 100bucks cash a month, it varies
Old 08-22-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Sponsorhsip is a 2 way relationship. And if someone sponsors you they own you.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Order 66
Sponsorhsip is a 2 way relationship. And if someone sponsors you they own you.
Auh...that's is not true. There are many forms of sponsorships, the two most common are "Bill Boarding" (selling ad space on your car, clothing and support vehicles etc.) and "Product Promotion and Indorsement" in which you represent a "sponsor" by providing a service that promotes specific products and/or services. Granted, if you accept a sponsorship you are obligated to fulfill the agreed terms of that sponsorship...that in NO way implies ownership of you or your car.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ApacheDrill
I am going to be racing a full schedule next year at some local tracks, i know a few local owners that i would like to ask to help sponsor the car to help cut the cost. This will be the 1st Full Season i will be running, my question is, what is a fair price to ask to bring someone on as a Sponsor? Keep in mind i am not on the NHRA schedule. Just curious if anyone else is doing this and trying to find what everyone else does with this? Thanks
Something to think about...
Recently I have received quite a few offers from companys that claim to have sponsors available and ready to give me money! All I have to do is give them a "one time enrollment fee of $$$ >which they will charge to my credit card< and I'm good to go! Yea...RIGHT! Like I'm going to give them money!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

ask for free lap dances....lol just kidding
Old 08-26-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by srt8linespeed87
ask for free lap dances....lol just kidding
Thats what the wife is affraid of, also becuase of it being a "Gentelmans Club" not sure how that will fly. I can only place sponsorship on the windows and clothing with the series i am going to be running with. They want to preserve the stock heads up look for the series i suppose. I was thinking entry fee's and some gas money to get there and back. I would be there anyway and that would help reduce the cost. I am also trying a long shot of getting some help from the Army. We are the best recruiters and they seem to be helping NHRA and NASCAR.. It cant hurt thats for sure.. Thanks for all the input. I just want to start working plans for next year early instead of waiting till the spring..