Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bracket Racing, what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bracket Racing, what is it?

I am planning a trip to Milan Dragway to see what my car will do now that I have a few mods. I was planning on the 'test n tune' but they also have bracket racing and I was wondering what it is???

And what is box and no box?

Any help before tomorrow would be appreciated.

Last edited by ActionJack; 09-02-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Junkie

In a nutshell bracket racing is all about consistancy. You have to put a dial on ur car (time you think the car will run) and they will give the slower car a head start by however long he is slower than the other car (example, 14 sec car vs 11 sec car, 14 sec car gets 3 second head start. 14 sec car's lights will come down and he'll go and the 11 sec car has to still sit there and wait for his lights and then run the 14 sec car down). Whoever runs closest to there dial wins, reaction time also comes into play, cuz you can still win even if you were further away from ur dial than the other guy, if you had a better reaction time, it's the whole package, cuz if you have a better reaction, but are a little further away from ur et than the other guy, you can still get to the finish line first. If you redlight u lose, if you breakout (go faster than ur dial) you lose. Understand a little now?

Almost forgot, box and no box, means a delay box and usually means electronics in general, a delay box times ur launches for you to make ur reaction time more consistant. Usually no box would be no electronics meaning off the footbrake and box would be running electronics, delay box, transbrake, etc.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'Box' means a delay box.It has nothing to do with a transbrake.
(i.e.- you can run a transbrake in 'no box')

If you go bracket racing, just enter 'no box' and you will be fine.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:17 AM
FormerVendor

Bracket racing is crap, IMO. All it does is handicap the faster car. Racing is about running what you have against the others. Leave the handicap thing to parking lot spaces - don't bring it to the dragstrip.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.staginglight.com/guide/index.html
Old 09-04-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01-Z
'Box' means a delay box.It has nothing to do with a transbrake.
(i.e.- you can run a transbrake in 'no box')

If you go bracket racing, just enter 'no box' and you will be fine.
Oh, I just figured it was like our track over here where you can't run any electronics in no box (they don't call it that, but I just assumed they were just using box and no box as a name and it was for electronics and no electronics, my bad).
Old 09-04-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dragonZ28
Bracket racing is crap, IMO. All it does is handicap the faster car. Racing is about running what you have against the others. Leave the handicap thing to parking lot spaces - don't bring it to the dragstrip.

Wanna race heads up for some cash?
Old 09-04-2005, 11:40 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 01-Z
Wanna race heads up for some cash?
Can I spray a 200 shot on top of my 408?
Old 09-04-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tom the roofer

Thanks

Looks like some good reading for later.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you want to just see what your car runs, ask to be put in time only - T/O written on the windows instead of an ET. I did this last week cause I knew I would more than likely lose to others if braket racing and I was there to play around.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Can I spray a 200 shot on top of my 408?
Yes, you'd better make it 300,though.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:16 AM
7 Second Club

Well I guess you have a 6 second car, otherwise a lot of Pro stock cars are not going to like giving "lengths"!

IMHO, bracket racing is one of the great things that can be done beyond the traditional test and tune. It's racing on an affordable level, because anyone with a license and a safe car can participate. Doesn't matter if you run 18 second or 10 seconds, everyone has an equal chance with the handicapped system.

Now as Devon mentioned, consistency comes into play a lot as when you're chasing or getting chased in a bracket race, you want to know your car will repeat the performance it just had. This counts on a lot of variables (traction, temperature of your car, air temp/humidity/DA, shift points, and of course your reaction time). Sometimes explaining it over the internet can be difficult, watching it happen at a track and/or participating can be the easier way to understand it fully.

I've been bracket racing for 14 years, and the competition always gets better. But the winning is an awesome feeling, plus you usually meet great people at a track. I can't describe the feeling you get when you win your first round of competition (I still get pumped up over it, because you never know if you're gonna win or lose, and the guy/girl next to you wants to win too).

Hope this helps a little, and feel fre to shoot me a pm if you have further questions.

Derek
Old 09-05-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Well said Derek.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Well I guess you have a 6 second car, otherwise a lot of Pro stock cars are not going to like giving "lengths"!

IMHO, bracket racing is one of the great things that can be done beyond the traditional test and tune. It's racing on an affordable level, because anyone with a license and a safe car can participate. Doesn't matter if you run 18 second or 10 seconds, everyone has an equal chance with the handicapped system.

Now as Devon mentioned, consistency comes into play a lot as when you're chasing or getting chased in a bracket race, you want to know your car will repeat the performance it just had. This counts on a lot of variables (traction, temperature of your car, air temp/humidity/DA, shift points, and of course your reaction time). Sometimes explaining it over the internet can be difficult, watching it happen at a track and/or participating can be the easier way to understand it fully.

I've been bracket racing for 14 years, and the competition always gets better. But the winning is an awesome feeling, plus you usually meet great people at a track. I can't describe the feeling you get when you win your first round of competition (I still get pumped up over it, because you never know if you're gonna win or lose, and the guy/girl next to you wants to win too).

Hope this helps a little, and feel fre to shoot me a pm if you have further questions.

Derek

Well put!

Heads up racing is fun, but there is nothing like the feeling of laying down a ten thou. package on somebody and seeing that win light in your lane... And like he said you dont have to be fast, i won 4k dollars in a 1998 GMC Sonoma!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread helped me a bit.. thanks for your input! I'm heading to Lebanon Valley next saturday.. I HOPE it doesn't rain.. because it looks like it may.