Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spinning will add mph?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

black knight
I rely on trap speed mph to measure performance gains from mods that I have done. It works reliably when used this way. But I shouldn't use my trap speed in comparison with somebody else's to draw a power similarity, because trap speed is also affected by weight, transmission efficiency, shift-points, etc. However, between similar cars and setups, mph should give you a pretty good ballpark indication of how well each car is putting down whatever power they are making.

For me, trap speeds usually don't vary greatly between runs when I hook or spin lightly. It is usually within a 1 mph range. When I was near stock, spinning a little bit helped not only mph but sometimes ET as well. If I spun too much, both ET and mph suffered. So you can't assume that more spin will make higher mph. I think there is a fine line to be drawn on the amount of spin to see benefit vs. mph lost.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I understand you gain MPH when you spin off the line because you cover little distance when spinning, while still gaining RPMs and have more distance to make up with while your still making up power, gearing, RPMs.

Quick Reply: Spinning will add mph?