Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightest Fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to see another bird w/o a wing. It definitely disturbs the looks fast sitting still appearance, but that f'r is too heavy. I know of a few that've gone to the Formula hatch instead, which is 8 or so lbs lighter. If it's a street car, simply removing the wing before heading to the track is another option. It's a quick job.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

I love the way it looks,kinda like a large RX7.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:01 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I weighed my T/A wing alone and it was 18lbs, which is pretty much the same as the difference between a T/A hatch and formula hatch. The formula wing is part of the hatch itself so it weighs nearly the same as the t/a hatch without the wing since the t/a hatch is double wall, just the top half curves down instead of up. I like the look of the formula hatch better then the T/A de-wing

FWIW another 4.5 lbs off can be had by taking out the high beams, bucket/adjuster screws and palstic headlight surround on a firebird. Looks a little ugly with the lights on but thats usually at night anyhow
Old 01-29-2006, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
not sure what you mean but heres a pic i took about 2 weeks ago.

im going to take the air bag stuff out after i get saets and 5pt harnesses.

i still need to get k-member and a arms.

are you on AIM? heres mine W68Firebird97

-brandon

the car is about 3230 w/ out me in it
Afriend of mine took the wing off, took it apart and put just the top layer back on so it wouldn't look as bad.
I just think taking the wing off is kind of drastic and there are other ways to lose weight. I'm at 2750 without me in it but i'de never take my wing off. but to each his own. most people wouldn't swiss cheeze their car either.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kp
I weighed my T/A wing alone and it was 18lbs, which is pretty much the same as the difference between a T/A hatch and formula hatch. The formula wing is part of the hatch itself so it weighs nearly the same as the t/a hatch without the wing since the t/a hatch is double wall, just the top half curves down instead of up. I like the look of the formula hatch better then the T/A de-wing

FWIW another 4.5 lbs off can be had by taking out the high beams, bucket/adjuster screws and palstic headlight surround on a firebird. Looks a little ugly with the lights on but thats usually at night anyhow
Much more can be had by swiss-cheesing the rest of the bracketry as well. You can go as far as ditching the motors and operating them with some spare throttle cable Unfortunately, making cams to replace the motor/gear is a bit too time-consuming for such a small weight-drop...
Old 01-30-2006, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey , Nose Up have you posted ant pics yet.....
Old 01-30-2006, 10:50 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NoseUp
Much more can be had by swiss-cheesing the rest of the bracketry as well. You can go as far as ditching the motors and operating them with some spare throttle cable Unfortunately, making cams to replace the motor/gear is a bit too time-consuming for such a small weight-drop...
Yea, too much work for me though. Those whole headlight assemblies are just so tempting to get rid of. I had one out and they are darn heavy..
Old 01-30-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We considered making a 'plug' to replace the whole assembly (mine weighed approx. 3# each with hardware) but just haven't had the time for such a pay-off (low). Too much on my plate at the moment. The future looks brighter, though
Old 01-30-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 11SECSS
Hey , Nose Up have you posted ant pics yet.....
I had some 'issues' with the guys building my engine/trans last winter, then ended up being scammed BIG TIME by a shill partner soon after The F-bod has been hibernating a while. As soon as I acquire the room and time to get it out of storage and back into the shop, I'll have many shots and details for viewing pleasure. I hope to get some 'bolt-on only' 1/8th runs in as well before throwing in a new plant.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club

since im lowered a friend and i realized that, when lowering the car it changes the pitch of the wing angle. therefore creating more downforce then what is nessicary (spelling) for any speed really. thats the whole reason why, it wasnt till later that i found out it weighed 35 lbs. so im going to see what gains hopefully there are from it. i still have a few other free tricks im going to do as well.

-brandon
Old 01-31-2006, 01:25 AM
11 Second Club

im sorry, but i think a wingless TA is just fugly.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:02 AM
vette=lack of penis

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
since im lowered a friend and i realized that, when lowering the car it changes the pitch of the wing angle. therefore creating more downforce then what is nessicary (spelling) for any speed really. thats the whole reason why, it wasnt till later that i found out it weighed 35 lbs. so im going to see what gains hopefully there are from it. i still have a few other free tricks im going to do as well.

-brandon

There is absolutely no way that the wing alone weighs 35lbs. Maybe 5lbs.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL kp hit it on the head...the T/A wing weighs 18lbs. I just threw it on the shipping scale.

And for a couple weights I was 100% on previously...The OEM radiator is 8.5lbs dry with the cap and sensor. The OEM dual fan assembly is 11.5lbs. So you can wipe roughly 10lbs from the nose with a light drag rad. and single 16" fan. This doesn't account for any coolant volume differences. It's a smaller unit, but with the larger core, it probably holds around the same amount of coolant.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

I currently have my wing off, it seems to weight a bit more then 18#'s. Haven't weighted it...just seems higher...I'll weight it tomorrow...
Old 02-03-2006, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

i went by the weight that was posted on the weight reduction list on eastern fbodys site. im gonna go weigh it on my dads scale at work tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

2848 here.

Steel/ iron v6 brakes still
There is soooooo many more places I can remove weight...... This season I expect 27XX.

It is going to take some money and work to even make 26XX I thought in my mind.... but it will happen eventually
Old 01-11-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i was reading this. looked like it needs updating.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Just a FYI, but I did a 25.5 X275 Firebird for a guy and installed fiberglass doors for the guy. Glasstek doors, 1/8" lexan windows, window frame, latches, linkage, chromoly hinge and window aircraft latches, whole assemebly weighed 18 lbs each.

I did not weigh the stock door though, but it was gutted, hole sawed, crash bars removed and still weighed ALOT....my guess would be around 80+ lbs each.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow thanks for telling up that. Sounds like its gona be a kreally nice car. Have any pics of the work you did, or just the door? What window kit, and latch,hinge kit did you use?

I've heard a stock 4thgen door is 96#'s by a few guys.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by studderin
wow thanks for telling up that. Sounds like its gona be a kreally nice car. Have any pics of the work you did, or just the door? What window kit, and latch,hinge kit did you use?

I've heard a stock 4thgen door is 96#'s by a few guys.
I had meant to take pics but in the end, never got around to it. Was pushing to get the car done and just flat out forgot to take the pics.

The door latches, aircraft window latches, lexan and window frames all came from Jerry Bickel.

We normally make our own window frames from scratch, but the customer supplied those, so we had to make use of them. They did not fit properly and had to be modified as they were made for chassis cars with fiberglass bodies and the window opening is larger as they don't have the weather stipping, etc.

We also build our own hinges from scratch using 4130 chromoly plate, tube and bar stock. They were designed to bolt to the stock hinge post fasteners in the body to keep some adjustability. They were also designed to allow the doors to be lifted off, but had a safety device to keep the doors from coming off when the door is in the closed position.

Quick Reply: Lightest Fbody?