Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dash removal...omfg!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dash removal...omfg!!!

all the fastners are out. i believe some wire harnesses are stopping me. its dark now so ill resume tomorrow. what a pain in the ***. i wound up breaking the clips off behind the dash cluster that holds the large wire loom in place. theres no way i could slide them out!!!!!! ty-wrap on the reinstall.

any tips for tomorrow? i traced out to plugs i need to undue. hopefully thats it.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just take your time on it.. I dropped my steering column and pulled my front seats out it helped.. You did the right thing.. when **** starts getting crazy.. walk away and come back later.. Good Luck
Old 04-29-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZDOG
all the fastners are out. i believe some wire harnesses are stopping me. its dark now so ill resume tomorrow. what a pain in the ***. i wound up breaking the clips off behind the dash cluster that holds the large wire loom in place. theres no way i could slide them out!!!!!! ty-wrap on the reinstall.

any tips for tomorrow? i traced out to plugs i need to undue. hopefully thats it.
Also, did you get the bolt out that's behind the intake on the engine side of the firewall, that's really the only hidden bolt. Good luck, I feel ur pain, I just did this not too long ago, it wasn't too bad though, took about 2 hours i'd say to get it and the hvac box out, but I also had it a little easier cuz I have a grant wheel that comes off easy, and definately drop the steering column, it'll make it a lot easier. Again, good luck dude!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hidden bolt for the dashboard in the engine bay? no, didnt see that one? the dash seems free. its just catching on something. to harness seem taunt as im pulling the dash. followed them up the back of where the radio went. feels like a plug connection or two up in there. ill unplug those tomorrow and see where it gets me. this is just a dash removal. im not deleting my hvac.(just ac). is the hidden bolt you mentioned for the hvac black box of sort? thanks
Old 04-29-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ZDOG
hidden bolt for the dashboard in the engine bay? no, didnt see that one? the dash seems free. its just catching on something. to harness seem taunt as im pulling the dash. followed them up the back of where the radio went. feels like a plug connection or two up in there. ill unplug those tomorrow and see where it gets me. this is just a dash removal. im not deleting my hvac.(just ac). is the hidden bolt you mentioned for the hvac black box of sort? thanks
I'm pretty sure it's for the dash itself but I could be wrong, but that's the impression I was under, I pulled it out while I had the motor out of the car, if the motor is in, it'll make it a lot easier to get if you take the intake off, it's directly behind the intake. That's probably what's holdin you up.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

The one your talking about is for the HVAC.. if he is just pulling the dash.. he wont need to take that one out.. If he is pulling the HVAC he will need to..
Old 04-30-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ApacheDrill
The one your talking about is for the HVAC.. if he is just pulling the dash.. he wont need to take that one out.. If he is pulling the HVAC he will need to..
Thanks for clearin that up dude, cuz I wasn't sure, I thought it was for the dash, but I removed both the dash and the hvac at the same time so I wasn't sure.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wew thats a relief, thanks!
Old 04-30-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

finally out.one ty wrap was in the way of victory. a quick slash and chop and now i stand victorious!!! lol. this is a daily driver. what else can i remove well im in here to shed some pounds? i always have the tops off. and i got a loudmouth. squeaks and rattles are a no-no but louder is ok. all options but ac will stay functional. any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have all that rubber matting thats on the fire wall.. there is alot of weight there.. If your keeping AC and Heat.. not much else you can mess with, unless you want to ditch the air bags..
Old 04-30-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well ac is coming out. hear in ny still need the heat. still getting frost in the mornings even now.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Good luck, man. I !AC'd and !airbagged last summer and it was a royal pain in the *** getting that dash out.

g
Old 04-30-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rubber mat does weight a ton. The HVAC box is a bitch because it has screws on the inside and outside.

I was upset about the dash. The wire harness plugs on the top of the metal dash support are hard to get out. Have to seperate the wiring harness from the dash before removing from car.

It is just a lot of work.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

damn i'm doing mine this week.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
The rubber mat does weight a ton. The HVAC box is a bitch because it has screws on the inside and outside.

I was upset about the dash. The wire harness plugs on the top of the metal dash support are hard to get out. Have to seperate the wiring harness from the dash before removing from car.

It is just a lot of work.
I ended up breaking a lot of the clips when removing them, so I used a lot of zipties to put the harness back on the dash!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't think it's really worth the hassle just to get rid of the ac evaporator. It's only a few pounds if you're still keeping the heat. I ended up busting mine all up getting it apart.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its worth the time to me for the extra room heres a pic:

Old 05-02-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is that a fabbed up heater coil setup? lools nice!!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, is that whole box where the a/c **** used to be fabbed? I still got most of the a/c left in there.

g
Old 05-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Flossin' twin turbos

well me and my buddys finally did it yesterday it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be.

Quick Reply: dash removal...omfg!!!