Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I launch a Turbo car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try that method as soon as I get the car back together.

About the powershifting though....
My clutch won't hold the power. I am venturing into new territory with the 3.8v6. I have the most powerful clutch on the market, and it still isn't holding the power. I have to lift on my shifts to allow the clutch to engage. If I keep the gas in, the clutch will slip like hell.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bolt slicks on.
spray out of the hole.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

I have an idea, just thought of it. Could you maybe like engage the clutch a little with your foot on the brake, and essentially brake boost on the line? Then when green comes, just let her loose. Cause obviously until your turbo spools, you are just a N/A 3.8. Which still shouldnt be that bad. I cut a 2.1 60' with mine on sock suspension, and it was a 3.4. Just an idea, maybe you should mess around with that one maybe. What would happen if you tried to launch at like 5500 or something?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LT Malice
I'll try that method as soon as I get the car back together.

About the powershifting though....
My clutch won't hold the power. I am venturing into new territory with the 3.8v6. I have the most powerful clutch on the market, and it still isn't holding the power. I have to lift on my shifts to allow the clutch to engage. If I keep the gas in, the clutch will slip like hell.

Well only powershift if you have the supporting mods for it. If your clutch slips and you have the best on the market then the only thing I can think of is to drop weight which would drawback force that's going against your clutch. Your engine is turning your flywheel faster than what your pressure plate will allow because your car has so much weight to move.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
I have an idea, just thought of it. Could you maybe like engage the clutch a little with your foot on the brake, and essentially brake boost on the line? Then when green comes, just let her loose. Cause obviously until your turbo spools, you are just a N/A 3.8. Which still shouldnt be that bad. I cut a 2.1 60' with mine on sock suspension, and it was a 3.4. Just an idea, maybe you should mess around with that one maybe. What would happen if you tried to launch at like 5500 or something?
I'll try that. I'll just press the brake pedal with my 30" *****, since I don't have quite enough feet to press all 3 pedals. J/K

A linelock would make that work perfectly. I could get just alittle preload on the turbo.

BostonHatcher-I never thought about the weight vs. clutch issue. I don't think there is a whole lot of weight I could drop without really destroying the cars driveability. AC is gone, spare tire is gone. I don't wanna spend $$$$ on a tubular K member and tublular suspension parts. I honestly don't think I could drop 200lbs off the car and still enjoy it.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Old Drag Racer

I'm not sure your clutch will hold as you said you're overpowering it during a powershift so the technique the TT 3/S guys use to get their turbos spooled up on the line may not work for you. A TT 3/S is a much heavier car than yours with a much smaller motor to spool the turbos but they are able to cut 1.6/1.7 60' times. They're AWD but since you're not spinning I think the same launch technique may work for you if your clutch doesn't give up. I personally hit the throttle rapidly keeping the RPM's between 4000-5000 RPM to pre-spool the turbos and on the last yellow mat the gas and come off the clutch at the same time. I don't dump the clutch as that'll bog the motor. A perfect launch with a teeny motor and big turbos has a little clutch slip built in for the first 60' or so of the run. This technique also eats high dollar clutches for lunch after a few passes too but having 20 PSI of boost right from the line makes it a good trade off for me. I've also found that powershifting the 1-2 shift is worth .2 and 2 MPH over even a very quick well executed granny shift. If the turbos spool down at all and have to recover you're wasting time. With a small motor it's imperative that you keep the turbos spooled or you're just not going anywhere. There are lots of vids of TT 3/S's launching on 3si.org and you can even find a bunch of vids of them launching if you Google "Dodge Stealth" and check out some of the vids. I may be describing the technique badly and watching one launch on video is worth more than a thousand of my words. Check out a vid and let me know what you think. Better yet, try this technique with your car. I'm guessing you'll drop a second or more the next time out and probably pick up at least 5 more MPH as a side benefit. I'll try to find a link to a vid but I'm an old fart and not computer savvy so you may have more luck finding the vids than I have. Good luck with your clutch as I'm thinking that may be the only thing keeping you from finding the limit of your combo.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Old Drag Racer

http://3svideo.vidiac.com/

Try that link and see if it works. It should be 3si's video page. I'm not sure if you have to be a member to see the vids. I'm a member there as I have a couple of TT Stealths so I'm on that site at least as much as I'm on here. Check out the launches of those cars. You'll see what I'm talking about.

*EDIT* I looked around on that site and found a perfect video for you to see what I'm talking about. On the right side of the home page click on "Mellon" vids. Once that page opens up look at the bottom for a vid entitled "Dodge Stealth makes suspension beg for mercy" or something to that effect. Check out the launch. He did exactly what I'm trying to describe to you.

Last edited by Smokinstorm; 08-09-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 PM
12 Second Club

I meant do some heel toe action. Its not that hard! lol
Old 08-10-2006, 01:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
I meant do some heel toe action. Its not that hard! lol
I know, I was just kidding.

You guys have got me all worked up to go try this stuff. I think I'll hang my new turbo tommorrow.