Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 and a gear vendors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
The $2500 price includes there driveshaft........ most dont need it.... so really its closer to $2k......
I never said i wouldnt use one.... i looked into it...... i just said i wouldnt split gears with it in drag racing....
My comments were in reference to the people that were discussing drivetrain loss and install difficulties.

Unless the prices have come down, I believe that I paid right around 2300 for the unit. I already had a Denny's Nitrous Ready DS, so I sent it back and had it shortened to work with the combination. Here is a link to the pricing off the GV website...http://www.gearvendors.com/prices.html. Doesn't look like prices have dropped, unless pricing is cheaper through a distributer.

I'd be interested to hear your results with the unit and the glide, most of the results that I have seen are guys with TH400s.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Pulled this off their website:

"Splitting the ratios (especially 2nd-over) is always valuable to the 3-speed car. 1st-over can be very valuable for hooking up with our AutoLaunch circuit on cars up to about 800hp but is a big torque multiplier and so cars with higher hp may break traction depending on their chassis setup. 2nd-over keeps the converter tight and produces torque multiplication right when the aerodynamics are starting to load the car heavily. We've never heard of a car that didn't run quicker going 1st, 2nd, 2nd-over then 3rd. A 1.28 deeper rear gear (the reciprocal of our ratio) can be used and the run 3rd-over for 5 to 6-speeds. With a 1.28 lower differential these cars can then also keep stock 1-2 ratio (instead of aftermarket deep gear) in the trans for less r.p.m. drop on shift.
Consistency and E.T. are improved by operating the engine and converter in a tighter rpm range as well as having more torque multipliers through the run. The GEAR VENDORS is one of the few products that can improve both. Study the Final Drive Ratio charts in the 2-wheel drive section appropriate for your tranny make and also read the powerglide section.

Hoserpower = Torque X RPM/5252 The Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive is one of the few products you can use to boost both sides of this equation. Keeping both the torque multiplication higher (gears are multipliers of torque) and the rpm tighter with the close ratios provide by gear-splitting. Your torque converter is also a torque multiplier. One of the benefits of gear-splitting is that all converters work better with the shortest steps in gearing. With close ratios there is also less need for high stall but we will keep any converter hooked up stronger."

Just trying to undestand why you wouldn't use it to split gears at the track? Seems like they have some real world results of several cars with improved before and after ET's. Appreciate the discussion!

Dan
Old 01-31-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
dont take it as attitude. just wanted to give you an opinion. the GVOD is not popular b/c it eats up so much pwer it is literarlly another transmission that sits in line with your th400. it will help out on highway rpm and help slightly with fuel milage but will eat up another 10-12% of driveline loss.
Where did you get this info from? is 10-12% accurate?
Old 01-31-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no its not 100% accurate. just what we have seen on the dyno. remember for those that forgot or dont know, the GVOD is nothing but a small transmission that sits inline behind your TH400. so its another transmission (small) to suck up power through heat and resistence.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no its not 100% accurate. just what we have seen on the dyno. remember for those that forgot or dont know, the GVOD is nothing but a small transmission that sits inline behind your TH400. so its another transmission (small) to suck up power through heat and resistence.

That is true...... but for those of us with power at a twist of a **** can over come that LOL
I think it would be worth it to me if i ever did go with it.... th epower it would eat up, it would make up for it having OD on the freeway..... even though its not bad now..... 2500=56mph....... speed limit is 55mph here......
Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

So, their advertisment is just BS?
loosing 1 HP to every 400 ?
Old 02-01-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDJP

From what i take of it... it all depends on the setup your going with.........
Old 02-01-2007, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDJP
i am not saying anyone is lying. i dont care. i have nothing to gain. but i wont believe it looses 1 hp for every 400. you realize what that means in percentile? come on!
Old 02-01-2007, 10:35 PM
9 Second Club

i am not saying anyone is lying. i dont care. i have nothing to gain. but i wont believe it looses 1 hp for every 400. you realize what that means in percentile? come on!
I'm no expert by any means but 1hp per 400 does seem too good to be true.

Quick Reply: TH400 and a gear vendors?