Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring in a delay box

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring in a delay box

Has anyone done this before on an LS1. If so how do you do it. which box do you recomend.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wiring should be same as any other car.

Do you have a 2 Step?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:02 PM
9 Second Club

no I don't. I guess what I am looking for is a detailed write up on how to wire up a delay box. A 2 step would be nice too. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

You need a 2 step I think Harlen is suposed have them available pretty soon if he hasn't yet.

Have you bought the box yet?
if so what is the part number?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 PM
9 Second Club

No I haven't bought anything yet. Just thinking about what direction I want to go with this 98 camaro drag car in the future and I would like to do some index racing in the next few years and I will need a delay box, and more than likely a throttle stop also.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

Get a Mega 75 by Biondo. Not the most expensive but it gets the job done. You can have a bump up or down/throttle stop/crossover and the obvious digital layout. It's small too, if anything ever happened to mine I'd get another.

Not sure on wiring it up for a LS1... I'll let someone else answer that one.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:12 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Get a crossover, at the crappy track I used to race at I was fastest car there 95% of the time. Much easier. If you are going stop racing, get the combo box now.
I have a dedenbear & a Biondo, both are fine.
Just depends on how much money you have.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hrod382
Get a Mega 75 by Biondo. Not the most expensive but it gets the job done. You can have a bump up or down/throttle stop/crossover and the obvious digital layout. It's small too, if anything ever happened to mine I'd get another.

Not sure on wiring it up for a LS1... I'll let someone else answer that one.
The Mega 75 has been replaced by the Mega 85 FYI

Also here is instructions to a box. it has a diagram. they are mostly the same no matter the brand

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...ns/ded-cc3.pdf

There was a rule revision in 2003 does anyone know why?
here is what it says:

Delay Box/Device: Replace entire section with "Prior to use, all delay boxes/devices manufactured after 1/1/2003 must be NHRA-- accepted. One delay box/device is permitted; it may be attached to the transbrake, shift timer, and/or throttle timer only. The wire to the transbrake (or line-loc) may contain a splice that activates the two-step/launch control device in the ignition system. No other wiring shall be connected directly or indirectly between any other part of the ignition system or any other devices (such as data recorders, tachometers, suspension components, fuel injection system, etc.) and the delay box/device. All wiring associated with the delay device, throttle stop timer, ignition system, automatic shifter, tachometer, data recorder, and fuel injection system must be fully visible, labeled, and traceable.

The rpm-based automatic shifters that are incorporated into some delay boxes/devices may not be used for any purpose. The built-in tachometer that is incorporated into some delay boxes/devices may not be used for any purpose.

Delay devices and associated components (such as transbrakes, automatic shifters, throttle stop timers, data recorders, tachometers, fuel injection system, etc.) must be utilized in an unaltered manner consistent with the manufacturer's installation and instruction books unless otherwise approved. Delay boxes/devices, throttle controllers, automatic shifters, etc. that provide on/off indications (based on time and/or rpm) may be located within the driver's view. Only those throttle stop, automatic shifter, etc. operations actually being used may be indicated. The use of any other visual, audible, etc. indications that are transmitted to the driver in any form that provide on-track data are prohibited."

Last edited by brandonppr; 02-01-2007 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:21 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

The new rule is for several reason.

Some that we have heard:

Guys were putting lights on timers for each lazer, so they could judge if they were running their number.
Down track rpm limiters, also to help run their number.
Down track rpm limiters, to dump on guys & trying to break them out.
Track locator devices that can track your complete pass, and make you run your number every pass. (The same device Dave Conley sp? got caught using and got banned from IHRA, I read in a magazine)

They were trying to stop guys with all these cheater devices from getting an rpm signal tied to your brake, so you can run the number every pass.

I got real pissed when they did it, because I had just bought a new 450 box. I guess they had to try something, so I calmed down a little. Still sucks we buy a multi function box and they won't let us use them.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

A lot of problems with down track stutters.

The infamous Matty Box and the "dirty dozen" started it all (Dave and Ray Connolly, Ron Erks, Bill Webb and some other notables). They ran magnets down the inside of their front wheels so the car could detect the ET of the car. They set up their tachs so that if it was above (say 5k) they were slow, at (5k) they were dead on, and below they were breaking out. You can actually still buy a Matty box for like $2500. This is why Connolly was banned from IHRA and not allowed back to Norwalk.

Things have just snow balled from there. This year at the Jegs Open in Hamilton, Ohio a guy got down to 4 cars (local low budget guy) and when they inspected his car they found a tach wire into his delay box (legal in non-super class racing at the time) and they kicked him out (he did have a down track stutter but claimed it was his plugs which I tend to believe). I believe this is what officially made the no tach wires in bracket classes rule stick.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

This must have been why everyone was so pissed off last year when my tranny broke. I lost 3rd gear and it was hitting the limiter right before the finish line. People said I was cheating. I thought if I am cheating I am doing something wrond because I was doing great until I got the tranny problem then things went down hill at that point, I had to race it like that for 2 weeks until I got a new tranny in. I told them they could ride in the car and I would show them the tranny was broke and they could look the whole car over but they wouldn't even look at it and still complained I did win one race with the trans still broke but it was not as consistant as it was when it was running right.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brandonppr
This must have been why everyone was so pissed off last year when my tranny broke. I lost 3rd gear and it was hitting the limiter right before the finish line. People said I was cheating. I thought if I am cheating I am doing something wrond because I was doing great until I got the tranny problem then things went down hill at that point, I had to race it like that for 2 weeks until I got a new tranny in. I told them they could ride in the car and I would show them the tranny was broke and they could look the whole car over but they wouldn't even look at it and still complained I did win one race with the trans still broke but it was not as consistant as it was when it was running right.

People are so paranoid about cheating anymore. At every big dollar bracket race they have inspections when you get down to 4 cars.

I gotta say though, I'm not one of those guys that thinks everyone is cheating but there are two guys at a local track that run together and have slick chassis cars that only run 10.50's and the tires never leave the ground (leading me to think they may have front wheel sensors) and they almost always run dead on. Anyone with a down track stutter gets called a cheater anymore.

What got the dirty dozen busted is that they got cocky and started dialing 13's in 8 second cars and running dead on. Cheating bastards. I gotta say I hope that some day I get good enough that they think I'm cheating.

Quick Reply: Wiring in a delay box