Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Front Wheel Drive Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not "knowing" it's THINKING!

Of course RWD is a tried and true method of drive...I'm trying to think of ways to improve FWD performance cars for drag racing. It's not that I didn't know RWD cars are FAST...I want to try something new. It's just me...
Old 03-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Wow, this quite possibly has to be one of the dumbest threads I've ever seen. This could quite possibly hit the SSU hall of fame. Let's keep this retarted **** going, it's amazingly humorous how clueless wagon boy is. TTT!
I know RIGHT? hahahaha...

BTW..it's "WAGONEER" not wagon boy. If you're guna poke fun..do it the right way.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
And FWD is used because it is cheaper, more compact, and allows for more passenger-compartment space.
Everyone can use google....heres an advantage to racing with a FWD i found with it
"Improved drivetrain efficiency: the direct connection between engine and transaxle reduce the mass and mechanical inertia of the drivetrain compared to a rear-wheel drive vehicle with a similar engine and transmission" I think I know more about properties of various physics related material than you do btw so dont flame wagan man.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:59 PM
***Repost Police***

If you converted an F-body or Corvette to FWD SOMEHOW, it would still be slower than it's RWD counterpart. So what is the point? To spend THOUSANDS of dollars in research and development, to go slower, and handle/brake worse? No thanks.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by toprintonbothsides
Everyone can use google....heres an advantage to racing with a FWD i found with it
"Improved drivetrain efficiency: the direct connection between engine and transaxle reduce the mass and mechanical inertia of the drivetrain compared to a rear-wheel drive vehicle with a similar engine and transmission" I think I know more about properties of various physics related material than you do btw so dont flame wagan man.
Looks like you know nothing...

BTW toprintonbothsides...It's WAGONEER...not wagon man! lol...just said it above!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
***Repost Police***

Everyone knows that FWD has a higher drivetrain efficiency than RWD. We are talking about dragracing though, not roll racing.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Banned

If you converted an F-body or Corvette to FWD SOMEHOW, it would still be slower than it's RWD counterpart. So what is the point? To spend THOUSANDS of dollars in research and development, to go slower, and handle/brake worse? No thanks.
From a roll it could maybe be better...would this make up for off the line speed? idk....there is a point depending on traction to effieciency where it could be better....maybe if the car was making 50 hp but it would still be better in some scenario this way.....it would be nice to represent fbods in the FWD class...but you wasted money modding a mustang so.......what is the point? To spend THOUSANDS of dollars in research and development, to go slower, and handle/brake worse? No thanks.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Banned

Please explain "handle/brake worse"??

Isn't this DRAG RACING?? WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT DRAG RACING? You're going in a STRAIGHT LINE. Braking of course is important but what does handling have to do with it? Steer the damn thing...and hang on. Handling is more of a "weight transfer" thing and even still...

How would they handle bad? I still want some proof and more info on this...
Old 03-02-2007, 02:03 PM
Banned

Everyone knows that FWD has a higher drivetrain efficiency than RWD. We are talking about dragracing though, not roll racing.
Take your own advice...you just talked about "handling" in a DRAG forum...
Old 03-02-2007, 02:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by White_Liberty
Please explain "handle/brake worse"??

Isn't this DRAG RACING?? WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT DRAG RACING? You're going in a STRAIGHT LINE. Braking of course is important but what does handling have to do with it? Steer the damn thing...and hang on. Handling is more of a "weight transfer" thing and even still...

How would they handle bad? I still want some proof and more info on this...
You should start a thread in the handling for that one...but I guess this was moved from newb section or conversions to here so idk....as far as braking i dont know what elevens is talking about.....4 brakes is 4 brakes
Old 03-02-2007, 02:12 PM
***Repost Police***

From a roll it could maybe be better...would this make up for off the line speed? idk....there is a point depending on traction to effieciency where it could be better....maybe if the car was making 50 hp but it would still be better in some scenario this way.....it would be nice to represent fbods in the FWD class...but you wasted money modding a mustang so.......what is the point? To spend THOUSANDS of dollars in research and development, to go slower, and handle/brake worse? No thanks.
I bought my car WITH all the mods, for the same price as a stock GT would cost. Thanks for playing . And I mentioned handling/braking because RWD outperforms FWD in every performance situation. For one, FWD moves the majority of the weight to the front. Weight transfer is another part, but you also have to take into consideration that a tire only has the ability to put out a certain amount of grip/acceleration in any direction. If you are trying to apply torque to the wheel for forward motion, and have it force a direction change, your abilities to do either are decreased.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

You should start a thread in the handling for that one...but I guess this was moved from newb section or conversions to here so idk....as far as braking i dont know what elevens is talking about.....4 brakes is 4 brakes
Well everyone see's me as the laughingstock now and I know nothing even though we have technical proof to along with our posts but yet elevens keeps going on and on about nothing...

I should post something about handling and FWD Vs. RWD.

and yea...what does braking have do with anything? c'mon...we're talking about power transfer here...NOT braking. blah blah blah blah...
Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 PM
***Repost Police***

It's called weight distribution. 50/50 is ideal, and it is VERY VERY VERY hard to get a FWD car to have 50/50 weight distribution. Ceteris Paribus (I assume you know what that means), FWD is outperformed by RWD in every performance situation, period.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Banned

I bought my car WITH all the mods, for the same price as a stock GT would cost. Thanks for playing . And I mentioned handling/braking because RWD outperforms FWD in every performance situation. For one, FWD moves the majority of the weight to the front. Weight transfer is another part, but you also have to take into consideration that a tire only has the ability to put out a certain amount of grip/acceleration in any direction. If you are trying to apply torque to the wheel for forward motion, and have it force a direction change, your abilities to do either are decreased.
Did the "mods" to your car influence you buying it? You chose a car with mods, I stand by saying that braking is the same in a car with FWD and RWD. You hold in the clutch and slam on the brakes in a FWD car and a RWD identical to except for this fact and they will for all practical purposes brake the same.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Banned

hahaha....he listened...he searched google!!!!!

Congrats on your search...you STILL don't sound smart.

What was THIS..."And I mentioned handling/braking because RWD outperforms FWD in every performance situation." You just opened ANOTHER can of worms retard...cause we can DEFINITLY prove you wrong on this.
Your RWD whatever may be faster on the strip but lets go to the track...I guarantee some FWD cars can run if not BEAT a RWD car...

And nobody cares about your car like they dont care about my "wagon". I still paid less than you with all my mods and I can probably run ya...and win!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:19 PM
***Repost Police***

Did the "mods" to your car influence you buying it? You chose a car with mods, I stand by saying that braking is the same in a car with FWD and RWD. You hold in the clutch and slam on the brakes in a FWD car and a RWD identical to except for this fact and they will for all practical purposes brake the same.
You claim to know more about basic physics principals than me, and then ignore weight distribution and transfer? With all the weight on the front tires, you are lessening their ability to maintain grip when slowing the car down. Even distribution (or close to it) is the best, and RWD is the best/easiest way to achieve this.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Banned

It's called weight distribution. 50/50 is ideal, and it is VERY VERY VERY hard to get a FWD car to have 50/50 weight distribution. Ceteris Paribus (I assume you know what that means), FWD is outperformed by RWD in every performance situation, period.
You are always talking about weight transfer.....50/50 for handling some people like dependin on what you are doing suspension etc....but when you brake WEIGHT is TRANSFERRED so 50/50 dont mean much...and the weight is basically transfered the same in FWD and RWD for all practical purposes....the RWD fairy doesnt make it better or worse

By having more weight (you said FWD are lighter) it might take you longer to stop....semi truck to a go cart......brakes are brakes the weight transfers the same...remember identical FWD and RWD cars

Last edited by toprintonbothsides; 03-02-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:21 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by White_Liberty

hahaha....he listened...he searched google!!!!!

Congrats on your search...you STILL don't sound smart.

What was THIS..."And I mentioned handling/braking because RWD outperforms FWD in every performance situation." You just opened ANOTHER can of worms retard...cause we can DEFINITLY prove you wrong on this.
Your RWD whatever may be faster on the strip but lets go to the track...I guarantee some FWD cars can run if not BEAT a RWD car...

And nobody cares about your car like they dont care about my "wagon". I still paid less than you with all my mods and I can probably run ya...and win!
Google search? Dude, we did this in High School physics . And like I said... there are certain cars that perform well IN SPITE OF being FWD. But ceteris paribus, they would perform better if they were RWD.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Banned

You claim to know more about basic physics principals than me, and then ignore weight distribution and transfer? With all the weight on the front tires, you are lessening their ability to maintain grip when slowing the car down. Even distribution (or close to it) is the best, and RWD is the best/easiest way to achieve this.
Here's something for ya....make the car LESS prone to weight distribution USING weights. Putting more weight +the weight of the engine on the front of a car will allow LESS weight distribution (hence SWAY BARS come back into play here for LESS weight dist.) and direct all of that "direct" FWD power right to the wheels. Hence better pickup on traction and less "negative traction".
Old 03-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Banned

Google search? Dude, we did this in High School physics . And like I said... there are certain cars that perform well IN SPITE OF being FWD. But ceteris paribus, they would perform better if they were RWD.
How???

Quick Reply: LS1 Front Wheel Drive Conversion