Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a moly cage have to be tig welded?

Old 03-27-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Does a moly cage have to be tig welded?

I am pretty sure it has to be tig right?
I dropped my car off the other day at a welding/fabrication shop. I told them it needed to be tig welded and he said ok.
They were supposed to have me an estimate by sat. I dropped it off on friday. still no estimate. it was supposed to be done by thurs. I don't think it will no matter how they weld it at this rate. it has not move from the spot I dropped it off at and he said it would be started on and pulled inside overnight.
I went by to check today to see if he had me an estimate today. The owner was not there and I asked one of the welders to see if I could get any info.
no luck. but I asked him just to make sure it was going to be tig welded in. He said they don't even have a tig welder and it would be mig welded in. I said I thought moly had to be tig welded per NHRA. he said no. he said we just finished that car right there (a mustang) and it was moly and we mig welded it in. He said I never heard of anyone tig welding a cage in. He said That would cost 10 times as much. and take a day on each weld because you have to weld it so slowly.

Should I go pick my car back up and take it elsewhere?
Its supposed to rain tonight and the car has no windows in it and its still sitting outside and don't look like its going to move.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes all 4130 Cromoly must be TIG welded to be legal for NHRA or IHRA and SFI
Old 03-27-2007, 04:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the guys at the shop actually told you that then go get your car NOW!!!!!!!!!!

225-343-9029
Old 03-27-2007, 04:49 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, get a moly kit from Wolfe and have someone local (tig)install it.
Phil
Old 03-27-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks I am going to pick it up.

I already have a moly s&w cage
Old 03-27-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yikes! You almost had a costly mistake right there!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

go get the car now i got mine back last week and the shop wouldnt consider mig welding moly . tig is the only legal and safer way to do it. that place has no real clue. i hope you got it outta there
Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brandonppr
I am pretty sure it has to be tig right?
I dropped my car off the other day at a welding/fabrication shop. I told them it needed to be tig welded and he said ok.
They were supposed to have me an estimate by sat. I dropped it off on friday. still no estimate. it was supposed to be done by thurs. I don't think it will no matter how they weld it at this rate. it has not move from the spot I dropped it off at and he said it would be started on and pulled inside overnight.
I went by to check today to see if he had me an estimate today. The owner was not there and I asked one of the welders to see if I could get any info.
no luck. but I asked him just to make sure it was going to be tig welded in. He said they don't even have a tig welder and it would be mig welded in. I said I thought moly had to be tig welded per NHRA. he said no. he said we just finished that car right there (a mustang) and it was moly and we mig welded it in. He said I never heard of anyone tig welding a cage in. He said That would cost 10 times as much. and take a day on each weld because you have to weld it so slowly.

Should I go pick my car back up and take it elsewhere?
Its supposed to rain tonight and the car has no windows in it and its still sitting outside and don't look like its going to move.
better get that out of there ASAP,
Old 03-27-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go get your car and run!!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went to get it. They were not there. They told me they would be there but they were gone. Its supposed to rain tonight. its still sitting outside but it was blocked in so I couldn't get it out.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonppr
I went to get it. They were not there. They told me they would be there but they were gone. Its supposed to rain tonight. its still sitting outside but it was blocked in so I couldn't get it out.
Don't call them. Just be there at 8am tomorrow o get your car and leave. Did you take your car to the 3 stooges garage or what?!?!?!?!?!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

Go get it, be there before they get there.

Moly has to be tig, mild steel can be mig
Old 03-27-2007, 10:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yeah... have to agree on this one.... go get the car ASAP. It's amazing that some shops just don't give a **** to find out what really needs to be done and how. ****.... before I even welded anything, i found out what was right and what was wrong... the bad part about this is most likely that guy has had a cage certify with mig welds because there are some inspectors out there that just don't care about that stuff. I've seen some shady **** at the race tracks in the past 3-4 years.

Good luck with that man... let us know how it works out.

Stenod

GO get the car.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Come to think of it guys..... I don't think i have ever mig welded a cage in, just the plates to the floor. I just hate the way a mig weld looks compared to a good tig weld.

I know I know

Old 03-28-2007, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stenod@StenodPerformance
I just hate the way a mig weld looks compared to a good tig weld.

I know I know

I agree.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:09 AM
Launching!

My mild- steel cage is even TIG welded in..The weld is SO much prettier and the tubes HAVE to fit nicely, because tig wire doesn't fill up gaps very well.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

wow,a day per weld! what are they gonna charge you for that????? this is why sometimes it doesn't pay to go cheap! not saying this place was, but a lot of people bad mouth spending the big time zort on a name brand shop. well this is why. find a reputable shop that knows their ****. it doesn't matter what i buy now. i ask a lot of questions and the shops i use have never had a problem providing references. i use to be kinda shy about asking a lot of questions,but it only took getting screwed once to get rid of that.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jshiver
My mild- steel cage is even TIG welded in..The weld is SO much prettier and the tubes HAVE to fit nicely, because tig wire doesn't fill up gaps very well.

x2 my cage is mild and tig welded as well. Sorry to hear about the problems at that shop and def. GO GET YOUR CAR
Old 03-28-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok I went and picked it up.
I'm glad I found out before it was too late.
When I went to get it. I asked him did he plan on tig welding like he told me at first. He said he was going to mig weld it. I told him it had to be tig welded and he said well that will cost you alot more and That he would need a few months to do it because it would take over 40 hours to tig weld it. My car was still sitting outside in the pooring rain with no windows after he told me it would be stored inside. It was still sitting in the same spot I dropped it off at and he never called me with an estimate like he said he would every time I spoke to him.
Oh well now time to find a new welder.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

40 hours?! Not for a standard 10-point! Does he weld with his feet or something Make sure you send him the bill to have your car cleaned after leaving it out in the weather too.

Search this Thread