Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Watts link benefit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Watts link benefit?

Anyone have any experience with a Watts link? Similar to a panard bar in locating the axle, but the rear axle stays centered regardless of its position. I know that some cars such as PT cruisers have them.

theyre cheap too...Yea i know im going to get the "oh man thats so much fabrication blah blah blah"
Old 04-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

The biggest advantage I would think would be that it is functional for both hard street and hard strip use instead of using a wishbone. May not be a big improvement over a panhard setup, but more friendly than a wishbone locator for cars that are converted to a 4-bar suspension.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

for drag racing i would think it would benefit by keeping the rear totally centered underneath the car, then again guys are running the times they are on stock style f body suspension.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

The problem with wishbone setups is that if you try to corner too hard you can snap parts becuase they are more of a drag race setup. Watts link allows hard cornering and will also work with drag racing.

A wishbone and solid rear sway bar is the preferred drag race setup, and you can disconect the rear sway bar for street driving. But then if you side load the car too much the wishbone can break and then you have serious issues.