Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third gen questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:15 AM
JUICED96Z

Default Third gen questions

Looks like I may be going back to third gens. Should know in the next day or two. The issue is not money related but I pretty much know the car is mine.

83 Z 20k original miles, fully loaded. 468 BBC with two stages, TH-400 with a 3800 stall (think thats a little to tight), 12 bolt. Panhard rod and non adj TQ arm out back and thats IT.

10.4@138 spinning with a 1.8 60 (no T brake). Out of the box GMPP aluminum heads no porting, out of the box intake, will handle more N20. High dollar carb ect ect.

Keep in mind this is on an 8 inch ET street, 15X8 wheel.

Car comes with but not installed, QA1 rear shocks, double adjustable Spohn LCA's with spherical rod ends, LCA brackets, two bottles, new hood struts.

Mye questions: What size tire will fit on a 15X10 pro star on the back of these cars with or with no mini tubing?

How far has cam technology come along since the 80's this car was built the year it was built or a year or so later. Nothing has changed besides the jetting since.

Local guy down the street from him that does a lot of pro stock and pro stock bike porting for a big pro drag team is going to do the heads and intake. May jump the cam up a tad to match that.

There is a local guy that is pretty much our MADMAN thats going to dial in the new suspension and cage it (dinky roll bar in it now), more then likley mini tub it. He is also going to make the TQ arm double adjustable. May go to coil overs.

As it sits hooking hard I should be able to get it 9.9's not jetting the bottle up more or anything. Port everything, maybe a tad larger cam, ditch the belt drive water pump, go LOW 9's I hope. Will not know for sure untill I pull the jets and see what its jetted to and all. Car has a KILLER BG carb and KILLER exhaust. I really think the heads and intake are holding it back by a lot.

Car went BOTTOM 11's on the motor spinning.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:19 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 315/60/15 on mine with no minitubbing just alot of beating.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

a bbc with 2 stages of nitrous should at least go 8's i would hope....
what is a "double" adjustable torque arm?

i am running 28x10.5x15 hoosiers with a pretty good amount of inner fender mods. 5.5" backspacing.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

Did you read any of the post? It was build 20+ years ago on tiny tires with box stock heads.

15X10 will fit like stated above. 5.5 Backspacing with a good amount of hammering for a 28-29.5" tire.. Removing the bumpstop and it's surroundings will help fit more tire but if a minitub is the plan, you won't need to worry. 68maro's radial is 30" tall but probably doesn't expand much like a non-radial slick.

I'm sure your engine builder/head guy can spec a cam that will match the ported combo and make a LOT more power than what's in it now. With this much work, a new cam and maybe updated valvetrain parts/materials should be a no brainer.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:01 PM
JUICED96Z

Well I will know Sunday, the car just means A LOT to him and others.

Check out Thunders site, MADMAN makes a double adjustable TQ arm.

I THINK its a two bolt main block but he can't remember because he did not build the car.

I think it could go 8's pretty easy. Anti flip over bars are a must LOL. Original brand new looking paint on that bad boy

Anyone know anything about the old GMPP aluminum BBC bowtie heads? Thats what on them.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

Originally Posted by AutoRoc
Did you read any of the post? It was build 20+ years ago on tiny tires with box stock heads.
yup, i did read it. if he does what he said he was going to do to the car, and the bbc makes halfway decent power with 2 stages of nitrous, why wouldnt it go 8's???