Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some advice on wheel stud selection

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007 | 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Default Looking for some advice on wheel stud selection

I go to the track once in a while, launch it pretty hard and drive around all the time on DRs. The car is making 470/430 and weighs about 3700 with me in it.

Right now I have the stock studs moser puts on the 9" axles. I want to replace them before I go back to the track and really launch this thing. What do you guys recommend? I have it double drilled for 1/2 as well, so I dont know if that is the best choice, what length, and what manufacturer. I am running a closed lug, and could care less about being legal, as long as safety is not an issue.

Any advice is welcome. I tried to search and just found people breaking theirs, but no real comments on what choices, which worried me more haha
Old 05-15-2007 | 11:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Maybe someone can answer your specific question.

You do not really want to run extended studs by the sounds of it. With 470 hp not sure why you are braking studs. I ran the Moser 12bolt up through last year, with their studs for 3+ years without any problems with a little more hp. I'm sure you have already ensured that the lug nuts are properly torqued.

David

Last edited by Navy David SS; 05-16-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-16-2007 | 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

I just want to be sure I can run safely at the track. I have read and talked to several people that have broke the standard stud that comes in the moser 9" axles. They may be fine, and from the sound of it, you have no issues and are a lot faster lol
Old 05-16-2007 | 08:50 AM
9 Second Club

the people breaking the standard studs minly comes from OVER torquing them, and not evenly torquing down their studs. Use a good torque wrench and don't overtorque. You'll notice that they tend to loosen a hair at the track anyways. I just recheck every 3-4 passes, and torque between 80-85ft lbs. I've never had a problem with the stock Moser studs, but i did end up going with the ARP longer studs just for NHRA legality purposes.

Remember, overtorquing is a bad idea on a lightweight wheel, as it will bend the soft and thin aluminum that most drag wheels are made with!

Good luck with it Mike!
Old 05-16-2007 | 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Thanks Tim. I just want to be sure I dont get passed by a tire at the track! haha