Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lazy Convertor / Madman HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lazy Convertor / Madman HELP!!

Speed Inc is in the final stages of finishing up my car and they are descibing what they like to call a "lazy converter" or basically descibing that the motor just does not want to rev up nearly as fast as cars with smaller convertors. What is lost on me is how a converter that stalls at close to 4000 rpm can be "lazy".

Brian, you sold me the TH400 tranny kit a few years ago, and I'm not sure if the convertor I needed then is the same that I need now. Before I was just going to shoot a 150 shot through a stock bottom end with heads and cam. Now it's a 12 to 1, 382 Stroker with roller everything.

Do I need to start planning a converter change? What should I get? What do you think my current convertor is worth, considering it has about 5 miles on it. Also is it possible that the converter is just tight because its new and this is causing a "lazy" condition???

HELP MADMAN!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think you answered your own question your gonna need to redo the converter for your current set up now that you have changed it radically
Old 05-31-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nitrous convertors are usually tighter than N/A converters I think. I would think you also need to get it restalled, or buy a new one.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your 382 most like has a different power band and less off idle torque than your old set up. Yes you need to get the convertor restalled. You can send the convertor back to Trans King and they can restalled it for you. Talk to Gilbert @ 409- 740-0376. The one you have is a J9

225-343-9029
Old 06-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Location: I got a fever, and the only cure is more cowbells!!

THIS IS MY WORK ID.

I guess I did answer my own question. I will get it back to Omaha and pull the tranny and get it restalled at TransKing. I left a message for Gilbert to call me. The new motor has strained my budget beyond belief. I'm going to have to skip some luxuries for a few months to make up for the $1000 bucks in extra repairs etc. at Speed Inc.

I can't wait to get the car home, and not have enough money to put race gas in it. This whole thing has turned into a nightmare.

1. The tranny/converter was supposed to have some sort of spacer to work with the LS1. Speed Inc said it screwed up the tranny and sent it to FLP for a new pump.
2. One of the fuel injectors wiring was bad and that had to be fixed. This was while it was on the dyno so there goes another $$$$.

I should of collected stamps, or done something cheaper like build a ******* Craftsman Truck to race in NASCAR.