Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Afco Rear shock installment question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afco Rear shock installment question

I have the new 3870r rear shocks and I am puzzled about how to mount them. How hard can it be to bolt up a set of rear shocks? right?

Well.....What is the 2 nuts on the top of the shock for? I can't take one off and then put the rubber washers on that sandwich the body to the shock...I don't have enough threads. I can take both nuts off and Then get everything to fit, BUT, If this is right....what is the second nut for?

These shocks are REALLY COOL and I am gonna love them...once I figure out how to mount them to the body
Old 07-09-2007, 03:49 AM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take both nuts off and install 1 washer and a rubber bushing with the small inner lip facing up. Stick the shock up into the body hole of the chassis. Install a bolt in the bottom mount to hold the shock in place. Go inside the car to the top where the shock extends through the body and add 1 rubber bushing and 1 washer. Add 1 nut and snug it down, but don't distort the rubber bushing too much. Then add the second nut and tighten it down good and tight. It's a jam nut. Then you can go back to the bottom mount and shim the bolt with washers as needed to get the shock in position and straight making sure the body of the shock doesn't hit anything and the bottom **** is accessible. Once you are sure all is well, you can install the wire clip, plastic **** and allen screw. Wah Lah!! You're done!

They are purty aren't they?

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Launching!

Thanks a TON...I felt like that was what I needed to do, but didn't want to mess up one of these things due to mounting them wrong. You are right...They are "jewelry" for your suspension. VERY PRETTY.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Don't feel bad being confused. I ordered a set of the 3870F's for the front. They got here, and I'm confused as all hell on how to install them. Finally I called up AFCO and it turns out the shock had the mounts for the A-arm (front) on the bottom and the mounts for the body (rear) on the top. Crazy stuff. I then noticed that the shock body had originally had 3870R etched into it, but someone at AFCO had stamped a F over it. Needless to say I have a different set of shocks coming, that much money, I'm not buying blems.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue86
Don't feel bad being confused. I ordered a set of the 3870F's for the front. They got here, and I'm confused as all hell on how to install them. Finally I called up AFCO and it turns out the shock had the mounts for the A-arm (front) on the bottom and the mounts for the body (rear) on the top. Crazy stuff. I then noticed that the shock body had originally had 3870R etched into it, but someone at AFCO had stamped a F over it. Needless to say I have a different set of shocks coming, that much money, I'm not buying blems.

Call me tomorrow. Lets make sure you get the right stuff. 877-516-7223

225-343-9029

Quick Reply: Afco Rear shock installment question