Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Trailer Tools/Accesories

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Car Trailer Tools/Accesories

What do you all consider necessary or helpful to carry along in the trailer? What can't you live without? What was a waste of money?

I just recently purchased a 24' enclosed trailer. I want to get the tools, accesories and items that are most benefitial for a long day or weekend at the track.

The trailer has L shaped front cabinets and 110 wiring throughout.

Things I'm considering:
Winch (3000lb)
Generator (4-5000 watt)
Aluminum Jack and Stands
Hand tool set (like a Craftsman 200 piece set)
Small air compressor for tires
Lights/Stands
Folding Chairs/Table
Fire Extinguisher

What else should I add or omit?
Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an open trailer so I only pack what can fit under the bed cover on my truck...

But here is my list:
- Heavy duty 1200 Watt power inverter (cheaper then a generator and can handle everything I take, but need to run the truck for it to get power)
- small air compressor
- spare rear rim/tires (just in case)
- jack and jack stands
- rhino ramps
- 2 100' extension cords (yeah, a few times I have needed both, when the pits were so packed I couldn't get next to my truck, with these I don't worry about that anymore)
- battery charger (needed when cooling off the car and running a small battery)
- electric and cordless drills
- electric impact gun
- long (3') pipe for breaker extention
- laptop for tuning
- misc. pieces of scrap aluminum and strapping (one time I was turned away because my battery hold down broke and I didn't have anything to fix it, that won't ever happen again)
- misc. fasteners for whatever might come up (everything from misc. nuts/bolts to hundreds of zipties to 2 rolls of duct tape and 20' of thin nylon rope, this is from my old boyscout day, "Be Prepared")
- my toolbox (with most everything needed to work on my car, plus a few others just in case, including valvespring tool and all specialty items)
- a few different work lights, both electric and battery powered
- folding chairs and canopy
- a case of water
- a few shop towels
- a small tube with misc. car stuff (fuses, wire, terminals, plugs, lugnuts, etc.)

I have thought about taking my spare rear, but it is too heavy to just pack into the truck for a day and then taking it back out, so I leave it home and hope I won't need it. When I get an enclosed trailer I will be doing the generator, winch, putting my spare parts in, and a few other things as well...

The only thing I don't take is a fire extinguisher, but after just realizing that I will be buying one on the way home from work tonight...
Old 08-01-2007, 12:44 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go a little heavier on the winch and use a seperate battery for it, a wireless remote on the winch makes life a lot easier.

Make sure you can really jack up your car ot trailer with the jack you pick, I bring a pair of rhino ramps that work great for changing a flat on the trailer and working on the car in the pits or in the trailer.

Two spare trailer tires/wheels, they always blow in pairs it seems. I also carry a spare hub/bearings and ball mount. Tow strap, cheap torque wrench, usual automotive chemicals, tire plug kit, hand cleaner, ADVIL (very important), sun block etc.

One of those little blowers, battery charger, I like the little clip on halogen lamps.

Dont forget the EZ-up canopy if you dont have an awning, decent radio if you go to bigger events so you can hear when you get called to the lanes, its a never ending thing lol.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see what I have in my 32' enclosed:

Generator - just in case they don't have plug in power for my A-C/Heater
Full tool chest with about every tool I "think" I will need at the track
Jack and jack-stands
55-gallon race fuel - a couple of 5-gallon fuel jugs
3 sets of spark plugs
Tranny, rear and engine oil
coffe pot, radio, 5-10 folding chairs, folding table
golf cart to run around in
fan, portable air tank, air compressor
bungy cords - numerous sizes
extension cords
battery charger, jumper cables
tow ropes
numerous types of cleaning items
portable lights
Inflatable mattress in case I decide to stay at the track.
Jacket/pants/shoes/gloves for "race" time
Let's see what my truck has to tow for weight: trailer = 4800lbs; car - 3450lbs; golf cart = 1000lbs; generator = 200lbs; tools = 400-500lbs; 55 gallons of fuel = 7lb per gallon = 385lbs; misc crap = 200lbs; total = 10,500lbs No wonder the truck only gets 8-9mpg while towing

I'd put the 4 coolers of ice for the inter-cooler and the 1 for the liquid refreshments, but I usually put that in the back of the truck

But you know what I don't carry - spare tires for the trailer - now that is stupid of me

David
Old 08-02-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the good tips. My list has grown considerably.