Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

keep the 6 speed or go TH400?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:49 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keep the 6 speed or go TH400?

alrighty, here is my dilema, over the winter im not sure if i want to go auto or keep the stick, right now i have a built T-56, best of the best and im not happy with the way it feels, to notchy, not as good as it felt stock, so in the offseason im going to pull it back out and take it back to the place that built it and see what they say.

im not sure if im going to keep it or if i want to go with a TH400, now the car is a street car that sees a good amount of driving, and i do drive my car to the track which is about a half hour drive.

my setup right now is a 402 making 505 at the wheels, its went a best so far of 11.53 on bone stock 10 bolt, stock suspension, and some nittos on the stock wheels.

over winter i am going to do the suspension and rear end, and next year the car is probably going to see a 300 shot of juice.

now i like having 6 gears to ride around in, and the only cars ive ever raced have been sticks, but i want to go fast, but its still somewhat of a street car, and im not sure how much i would pick up ET wise by going to the auto but im tempted to do it, but i would like to get others opinions before i jump to it, for what i want.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:32 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

hmm, a vote for the T56, but no reasoning for not going with the TH400, please elaborateon your decisions people

Old 10-02-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you enjoy buying clutches often? if so, do the t56.

otherwise, run the TH400, esp if you love the track.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:49 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
do you enjoy buying clutches often? if so, do the t56.

otherwise, run the TH400, esp if you love the track.

ya, that always comes across my mind too.

just wondering how much i would gain in the 1/4 with the th400 too over the 6 speed.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 424 Likes on 336 Posts

Keep the t56, anyone can put it D and go.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

keep rowing through the gears you Pu$$Y!! lol jk

theres nothing better then running great times w/ a 6spd and its fun to rag on the guys that went to autos!! plus you still get to roll race

-brandon
Old 10-02-2007, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

HioSilver...... we'll have to meet up sometime when im down at Summit Point racing!!!

-brandon

sorry for the hijack
Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you like going to the track and getting one perfect pass out of 4, keep the 6 speed.

When you are making that kind of power NA, it's a different ballgame. A TH400 w/ the correct stall will pick you up a 4 tenths or better w/o doing anything else. I highly suggest that you not mess with the stock shocks and springs until after you swap the trans. You will be surprised. We have one pulling 1.34 60's with stock shocks and springs. Ofcourse you have to do the adj LCA's and Torque arm.

Get a RMVB w/ trans brake. You'll never regret it.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

ya, if i was to do it i would go RMVB with a TB and let her rip.

i think theres a little more than putting it in D and go when you have 500+ N/A rwhp ad your throwing another 300+ hp worth or nitrous on it. i doubt that will feel like a sunday cruise down the 1320

ive always been consistent with my stick shift cars, i bracket race once in a while and im always on my dial in, last friday, non hooking track, shitty 1/8th mile times, i dialed in 11.70 and ran an 11.71 but i redlighted with a -.031 (i suck)

its not really the consistency, its the ET gains im worried about, and is it worth giving up the nice streetability of the stick for the 3 speed auto.

car is not a DD, i drive it on nice days, and to the track and work once in a while, im not doing any traveling in the car, just a car for nice days, but i do love cruising a 1500rpms while doing 70.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:39 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

i love rowing my own gears, but im scared of what kind of clutch im going to havee to run when i hose the car, and how many im going to go through

if i kept a stick i would like to run a 2 step, with a window switch, and never have to lift untill i hit the finish.

i just dont know how much ET i can gain by going to the TH400, as opposed to the 6 speed
Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
If you like going to the track and getting one perfect pass out of 4, keep the 6 speed.

When you are making that kind of power NA, it's a different ballgame. A TH400 w/ the correct stall will pick you up a 4 tenths or better w/o doing anything else. I highly suggest that you not mess with the stock shocks and springs until after you swap the trans. You will be surprised. We have one pulling 1.34 60's with stock shocks and springs. Ofcourse you have to do the adj LCA's and Torque arm.

Get a RMVB w/ trans brake. You'll never regret it.
I agree, t-400 w/RMVB and a t-brake is da bomb, all the gears are in a straight line, u can't miss.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i swapped out my T56 for a TH400 some time ago and ran the exact same ETs and 60s but i stopped breaking rear gears and axles which was a plus for me. if money was not a problem, then i would put the T56 back in with a good clutch, viper tailshaft and a 9" rear. but since i have to be on a budget, i used the TH400 (which i got for cheap) so i could keep my 10 bolt longer. so far i have run mid 10s on spray and 11ohs NA for 3 years and have not broken anything yet. (fingers crossed)
Old 10-03-2007, 05:18 AM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by taqwache
i swapped out my T56 for a TH400 some time ago and ran the exact same ETs and 60s but i stopped breaking rear gears and axles which was a plus for me. if money was not a problem, then i would put the T56 back in with a good clutch, viper tailshaft and a 9" rear. but since i have to be on a budget, i used the TH400 (which i got for cheap) so i could keep my 10 bolt longer. so far i have run mid 10s on spray and 11ohs NA for 3 years and have not broken anything yet. (fingers crossed)
im going to put a rear in it too over winter, i already have a built T56 with 30 spline output shaft, everything has been cryo treated, and mikronite finished. so it can handle the power.

all the fast guys are auto, there are only a select few that are going fast with a 6 speed.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:15 AM
12 Second Club

JDP, just wanted to let you know we were up at telegraph and joy a few weekends back. Car sounds good.

I was in the same boat as you when I picked up my Coan built Th400 (RMVB, tbraked) to replace my t56. I know I personally got sick of inconsistancy which is the main reason I went with the auto. The stick shift car was a pita to try and get to sixty foot as well.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Keep the t56, anyone can put it D and go.
Yeah put it in D and go whoop on the m6 guys.

Seriously, you will always go faster and more consistent with a stalled auto.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Resident

ride in someones car with a TH-400 and then decide. That's the only way you'll know if your going to like it or not.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trigger1
JDP, just wanted to let you know we were up at telegraph and joy a few weekends back. Car sounds good.

I was in the same boat as you when I picked up my Coan built Th400 (RMVB, tbraked) to replace my t56. I know I personally got sick of inconsistancy which is the main reason I went with the auto. The stick shift car was a pita to try and get to sixty foot as well.

thanks man, are you going to be up there again anytime soon? its suppose to be nice this weekend.

im not worried about being as consistent cause all of my cars have been consistent, and they have all been sticks, its just im wanting to go fast, but i like my car as a street car, and both have there ups, and both have their downs, it just a matter of which one is right for me.

i would keep the stick if i could proshift or faceplate it, but then again, there goes the driveability. and for a clutch that needs to hold 500whp plus the bottle on top of that, who knows how thats going to feel driving and how long its going to last.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:07 PM
9 Second Club

How fast are you trying to go? How often do you race? Is your car a daily driver or weekend warrior? What about long trips, do you take your car on them? These questions you need to ask yourself. I prefer m6 but that's me. After I break it over and over again I might go auto but until then i'm still on my quest to become the fastest/quickest m6 car (for at least one day). I think you'll be more than happy with your m6 after you install the rear and spray 300.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:34 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokeum99ta
How fast are you trying to go? How often do you race? Is your car a daily driver or weekend warrior? What about long trips, do you take your car on them? These questions you need to ask yourself. I prefer m6 but that's me. After I break it over and over again I might go auto but until then i'm still on my quest to become the fastest/quickest m6 car (for at least one day). I think you'll be more than happy with your m6 after you install the rear and spray 300.

i said in one of my posts its not a DD, just a car to drive on nice days, race on the weekends, and as of right now i do drive it to the track. i want to try to get the car as fast as i can while keeping it a "streetable" car, im keeping all my power options, im keeping the monsoon stereo, along with the leather. im not going to strip it out for a track car.

i like the six speed, and its fun for sure, but i havnt had a car thats made this kind of power before and i dont know whats in the future for my clutch purchases. i want to go TH400 because it seems like thats the only way to get the car to go fast, there arent hardly any fast six speed guys it seems like, or im not seeing them.

im just stuck on wether its worth losing my overdirve gears for the gains i will see, which i dont even know how much i will gain, im not looking to set any records, just want to try to get the car as fast as possible with its setup.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 AM
Internet Mechanic

I f you want to cut decent ET's go with the th400, if you dont care and want to have fun and be on the clutch exchange program, stay with the t-56 but plan on trying to murder it every run if you want fast, and consistent times.

For example, JL-ws6, my buddy runs a 402, th400, 5000+ stall, moser 12 bolt and on drag radials and 34XX race weight cusx 10.5X @ 127mph. A full second left on the table. But mind you depending on the converter used plan on losing 60-75 rwhp with just the trans alone, but thats ok, its not a dyno queen anyways.

Quick Reply: keep the 6 speed or go TH400?