Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ozite carpet finally installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ozite carpet finally installed!

Hello! I'm finally back and have finished the install. I just typed this twice and my patience is running thin so its going to be a quick and dirty. Also pics should be up in a few minutes. I used no heat gun or weights. This is the dark grey ozite.
I unrolled the ozite from the hatch and squared it up in the interior using the factory crease in the carpet. I started the project using four inches of overlap to tuck under the trunk carpet. I glued it down to the flat horizontal area in front of the ttop hole. I then trimmed the area that sits under the rear speakers and plastic moldings (conservately). I then glued it the next flat area behind the rear seats. If your not going to use your rear seats leave more material to cover the mounting bracket tabs. After that glue sets I then glued the carpet to the top of the trans tunnel about five inches back from the back wall forward. Let it set! Then I used my thumbs and fists to contour the carpet to the concave areas under the rear seat buckets. You'll hear and feel the fibers giving and moving.
Next I glued it down to the floor under the rear seat buckets. Then I trimmed some off of the area that sits under the mid speakers and plastic moldings. Now for the hardest and most time consuming part. I didnt remove the rear seat bucket mounting brackets and had to contour around them. Take your time and take breaks. I spent several hours here. After its satisfactory glue it from tunnel outwards.
Next, I split the carpet down the middle where the carpet meets the shifter area. I would trim little if any in the area next to the shifter and brackets. The carpet formed nicely to the floor boards and under the seats. Again, glueing from tunnel outwards. This is where I had to make incisions. To cure a fold I sliced out a thin triangle and laid the aft piece over the front piece then glued it. Also, I would leave at least an inch of carpet above the door sills/ weather strips when trimming. I wasnt conservative here and barely have enough to tuck under the plastic moldings here. From this area forward the carpet was nice to me and formed nicely around contours. I have pics and will be coming up with those in a minute.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet lets see the pics..i need to redo the carpet in the camaro again.

where do you get this stuff and what does it weigh?
Old 03-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Launching!

Here ya go. 11 lbs before trimming. I trimmed about 2 pounds off.
Attached Thumbnails Ozite carpet finally installed!-000_11452.jpg   Ozite carpet finally installed!-000_11462.jpg   Ozite carpet finally installed!-000_11472.jpg   Ozite carpet finally installed!-000_11482.jpg   Ozite carpet finally installed!-000_11492.jpg  

Old 03-16-2008, 08:58 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure if I missed it but what glue did you use?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Not sure if I missed it but what glue did you use?
Oh, 3M super 77. I Did'nt even have to use half of it and I sprayed everywhere.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks pretty sharp. I need to do that to mine.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Should of relocated the airbag mod and done a center console delete
Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson88
That looks pretty sharp. I need to do that to mine.
Thanks! I didn't accurately keep track the time but I started at about 3:30pm today and finished around 7pm ish. I also put in 5 hours yesterday. If i had to do it again I would have to completely open up a weekend.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I'm still debating how far I'll take this weight reduction. I will get rid of the steering wheel for sure as I've found this Grant wheel that will look great. That will take care of the driver air bag. I like the stealth appeal and will try to make the car light as possible while keeping it looking close to stock as possible. Light weight seats are in the near future as is a fiberglass hood. Those are the two none stock appearing mods I will do. All else will be under the radar stuff.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:29 PM
12 Second Club

Im surprised to see the spare tire still in that should be the first to go. And the carpet looks bad *** man!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
Im surprised to see the spare tire still in that should be the first to go. And the carpet looks bad *** man!
Thanks, yup the spare tire is an easy one but, 1) this is my daily driver and the trip to work and back is 60 miles a day. 2) weight just above and behind the right rear tire is not a bad place to have it . Once I get the front lightend up and a strip minded suspension in there I wont need the rear ballist and it will come out. I've owned the car since Jan 06 and haven't gotten very far mainly due to me being away from home so much .
Old 03-17-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Regular

Looks good man. I have the ozite in black sitting in my living room. I should be getting around to installing sometime this week. So you think it'll be easier to cut off the back seat brackets?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks very good. you did a very good job with that. I have done this once myself, and had to cut/seam the rear area where the seats were, this time I am going to start in the back and work my way foreward like you did. I have alot of cage to go around which isn't gonna make the task any easier unfortunately.

Hopefully it will look as good as yours does though!!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks great! I need to do this as well. The stock carpet is heavy!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Any pics of an A4 with a center console delete?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Looks awesome, good job! I plan on using the same...
Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Damn that turned out great. I'm ordering mine soon just debating on black or grey for my ebony interior
Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rmata
Looks good man. I have the ozite in black sitting in my living room. I should be getting around to installing sometime this week. So you think it'll be easier to cut off the back seat brackets?
Thanks everybody! That black should look great. That is the color in my 68. If your not going to every use the back seats again then cut them off. I shoud have not trimmed that area out on mine cause for now I wont be using it. But I dont know where I'll take this Camaro with my modification endeavors so I'm not going to cut out brackets for resale purposes.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Looks very good. you did a very good job with that. I have done this once myself, and had to cut/seam the rear area where the seats were, this time I am going to start in the back and work my way foreward like you did. I have alot of cage to go around which isn't gonna make the task any easier unfortunately.

Hopefully it will look as good as yours does though!!
At some point in the distant future I'll need to have a cage. So I must ask, how are you tailoring the carpet around the cage bars? I'm assuming the cage is through the floor and welded? The only solution I'm seeing for me is to cut the hole in the carpet and slice a seam line from there to the outside edge. Any better ideas or is that it? And thanks for the props! Its not as hard as I thought it was going to be.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes, I will put a cut and just wrap the carpet around the hole ans seam it, thats' really the only way to do it. But I have removed the rear seat brackets because 2 of the cage bars are there now, so I don't have quite the task to deal with.

It's alot of work, but as you know, it can look good.

Quick Reply: Ozite carpet finally installed!