Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly the worlds slowest ls1???

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Possibly the worlds slowest ls1???

I just purchased a high mileage 99 SS 6 speed. The original owner kept it in fantastic shape but couldn't keep the mileage down. The only mod done by him was the cags. It doesn't even have a k&n air filter. I took it to the track for the first time and could only manage a 14.55 @ 100 with a 2.22 60'. The air was nice and cool so I was expecting much faster times. I tried walking it out the hole at 2500 rpms but it just fell on its face. I tried 3500 which only resulted in wheelspin. The 1-2 shift is impossible to make with the long throws of the stock shifter and it only resulted in a couple missed shifts. Once I did get it in gear, I had severe tire spin in 2nd.gear. Do I indeed have the worlds slowest ls1 or is my driving that bad? My 94 Z ran 13.64 with absolutely no mods so needless to say, I'm extremely dissappointed. I've driven a friends stock 95 6 spd to a 13.7 with no prior seat time in his car so I don't think I'm that bad of a driver. What else could be wrong? I've read so many articles where drivers have gotten low 13s and even 12s @ 106+ out of these cars. Even with poor shifting, I thought my mph should've been higher.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Possibly the worlds slowest ls1???

Poor shifting, terrible 60ft time, spinning going into second, maybe bad shift points (shifting too low), maybe the car is heavy, maybe the density altitude wasn't as good as you thought, high mileage engine, maybe the tuning is off, filter needs changing perhaps...lot's of possibilities.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:35 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a high mileage car I would suggest a basic tune-up. New plugs, wires, airfilter and fuel filter....you will be surprised how this might help.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Big Dave you've come over to the dark side. Do you still have the LT1? We've got plenty of M6 cars around here, so it shouldn't be too hard to get you hooked up. Were you a Capital last night?

Bruce
Old 09-06-2003, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled one of the plugs today and found it to look ok. The gap was at .055 but I don't know where the ls1 plugs are normally gapped. Bruce, I still do have the lt1 and hope to have it running sometime soon. Any thoughts I had of getting rid of it went right out the window after making those passes last night. I really didn't want a stick and though it is fun on the street, it really sucked at the track. I'm really shocked at the lack of low end torque these cars have.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hehe, My 2002 SS with 400 miles went 14.4 the very first time I ran it. With practice and Little mods I was running Low 13's. Now Im running pretty good with MTI's Package.