Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno jet VS Superflow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 09:06 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Dyno jet VS Superflow?

Is there a difference in RWHP and RWTQ # on these 2 dyno's?I believe a superflow is eddy current.Would a car dyno the same on each one of theses dyno's?

Old 10-05-2003, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Dyno jet VS Superflow?

Superflow AutoDyn is an inertial dyno with drums very similar in size to the Dynojet, but with added eddy current brakes (absorbers) which can be energized to control the acceleration of the drum. In "pure inertia" mode, the eddy current brakes are not used. Depending on how well things are calibrated, results from Dynojet and AutoDyn in the inertia mode shoud be very similar.

It is possible to do "step tests" or constant speed tests with the eddy current brakes. There's a max of 500+ rwhp over a couple of minute steady-state run, but few of us with that much rwhp want to hold it at max hp rpm for multiple minutes.

IMO, an important use of the eddy current brakes added to the inertia drum, is that you can duplicate the actual time you car accelerates say from 2500 to 6500 in 4th gear (M6), so you get an accurate rwhp reading. If you then use a power adder, in inertia mode a 200 shot would cause the inertia only dyno to accelerate faster, and you'd get a falsely low rwhp reading compared to your NA run. No so with inertia + eddy current controlled run.

My $.02
Old 10-05-2003, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is about 10-12% difference between the dynojet and superflow with the super flow being the one with higher number based on three people who used both with the same mods... Check page two on this thread http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...p;pagenumber=2

"The difference between dynos could be alot of things. The calibration, the drums weight, the correction factors, the load, etc... For example a Mustang dyno will dyno less than a dyno Jet by 8% sometimes. Based on what MSiska experince with both dynos... 293/329=0.890 and his friends= 330/364=0.90 which means that superflow is 10-12% higher than a dyno jet. Thats means u should be making around 344-350rwhp. Maybe they werent surprised by their numbers because they always use this same dyno. If they used a dyno jet or especially a mustang dyno they will be crying lol."
Old 10-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told you cant just use 8 percent to figure out the difference between a Mustang dyno and a Dynojet.. I was also told a SuperFlow does dyno higher than a Dynojet.. What I was told by people owning both a dynojet and a mustang dyno that you must look at the load being used by the mustang dyno to determine what percent to multiply by.. If the load is 3600lbs or more you multiply the mustang dyno # by 15 percent. If it is less than a 3600lb load then your percent that you multiply by goes down.. If the load is say 3000lbs then you use between 5 and 10 percent to get a close estimate of what your dynojet number would be.. I just recently used a Mustang dyno and I used the 15 percent rule because my load was 3600lbs. NA it was dead on with what I dyno with my cutout closed on a dynojet. I will go back to the dynojet in two weeks to see if that is still accurate..

Quick Reply: Dyno jet VS Superflow?