Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Y pipe = Big hp loss

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyd2506
Yeah, Kidcam.. I've read about your car, and it is a monster.
Never want to pull up beside your car with nothing up ahead. might as well bow my head down in shame.. you have some power trapping 116-117
you have some serious rwtq..
I think ported ls6 heads can kill of tq.. seen someone else who had a set of porterd 243.. no low end power.

I wish I had HP tuner... been looking into it..
The pro version seems to be the only way to go to test air fuel mixture.
-what do you think?

with the cost of a wideband, and a laptop.. it will put me back $1,000.00-$1,500.00..

Thanks for the generous offer to help... I may get Hp tuner next year.
unless I could get one used. with credits.

thanks
where does the power REALLY come in on your car? does it pull all the way until you shift? what are you shifting at/your shift points?

I hear ya on laptop/hp tuners. ***** expensive. I had it for my old turbo v6 camaro and sold it...right now my buddy let me borrow his HP Tuners stuff so I have been doing that. I had my car dyno tuned, and I have just been street tuning it for a good street manor.

what plugs are in the car? whens the last time they were changed??
Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
where does the power REALLY come in on your car? does it pull all the way until you shift? what are you shifting at/your shift points?

I hear ya on laptop/hp tuners. ***** expensive. I had it for my old turbo v6 camaro and sold it...right now my buddy let me borrow his HP Tuners stuff so I have been doing that. I had my car dyno tuned, and I have just been street tuning it for a good street manor.

what plugs are in the car? whens the last time they were changed??

must be nice on the Hp Tuner, wish I had friends like that..

Plugs are the same ones I got with it.. I have not had it tuned yet..
the previous owner had it tuned.. not sure if he put knew plugs in before dyno, pretty sure he would have..

all I kniw it is lost 20 rwhp and 20 ft lbs 395/356 (411/362 rw uncorrected) ---and after Y pipe 376/330 (or 371/333 rw)..

I'm not complainign about it's power, although I'd like some low end, it will spin 315 street tires from a dead stop.....
sometimes, if you floor it from idle it will bog..
it cuts out most of the time..if I shift it myself..

How much is the typical Tune with dyno? I've been quoted $450..

Nice car guy... nice video too
Old 05-28-2009, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

must be nice on the Hp Tuner, wish I had friends like that..

Plugs are the same ones I got with it.. I have not had it tuned yet..
the previous owner had it tuned.. not sure if he put knew plugs in before dyno, pretty sure he would have..

all I kniw it is lost 20 rwhp and 20 ft lbs 395/356 (411/362 rw uncorrected) ---and after Y pipe 376/330 (or 371/333 rw)..

I'm not complainign about it's power, although I'd like some low end, it will spin 315 street tires from a dead stop.....
sometimes, if you floor it from idle it will bog..
it cuts out most of the time..if I shift it myself..

How much is the typical Tune with dyno? I've been quoted $450..

Nice car guy... nice video too
well I just noticed you said the 411/362rwtq was Uncorrected. That means those numbers werent scaled and are higher then if they were scaled. If they were SAE correct, I would say those numbers would be around the 400rwhp mark, maybe a little less...so we can start there with the big number difference.

Now, I noticed you said you shift your car sometimes yourself? your car is a auto?

Granted in a M6, and im on 315's as well (goodyear eagle f1 gs-d3's) with a good amount of suspension work under me and I can spin the tires from a 50 roll enough to start going sideways

I HIGHLY doubt your Y pipe is making that much of a power loss. My pacesetter Y pipe is absolute ****. Where the driver side pipe connects into the passenger side (at the Y) the transition inside the pipe isnt even cut out right. They just cut out a triangle and welded it together. I havent got around to cutting it out yet but yours cant be any worse then mine.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
well I just noticed you said the 411/362rwtq was Uncorrected. That means those numbers werent scaled and are higher then if they were scaled. If they were SAE correct, I would say those numbers would be around the 400rwhp mark, maybe a little less...so we can start there with the big number difference.

Now, I noticed you said you shift your car sometimes yourself? your car is a auto?

Granted in a M6, and im on 315's as well (goodyear eagle f1 gs-d3's) with a good amount of suspension work under me and I can spin the tires from a 50 roll enough to start going sideways

I HIGHLY doubt your Y pipe is making that much of a power loss. My pacesetter Y pipe is absolute ****. Where the driver side pipe connects into the passenger side (at the Y) the transition inside the pipe isnt even cut out right. They just cut out a triangle and welded it together. I havent got around to cutting it out yet but yours cant be any worse then mine.

411/362 is what the paper said, not sure if uncorrected, I assume it is, as the graph on the same day and time shows 395rwhp, 352 rwtq... Mustang dyno.. not sure how they got 411/362 rw from a 395/352 rw graph.
From Mustang dyno
the 395 was probabaly after smoothing ..

2 months later..another dyno run with the Y pipe.. 376 rwhp, 331 rwtq....2nd run 371 rwhp and 333 rwtq. SAE smoothing 5

19 hp and 19 ft lbs lost somewhere

Even with the duals, the car never had that much torque... I think those ported 243 heads might kill off some torque.,,
I have the stock heads that came off/with of car.. wonder if I put them on I'll get better avg power?

possible they didn't put something together right, do not know what the heads flow or cc of combustion chamber.. They got good power, but no mid range torque. maybe they retarded the cam.. they used a ls2 timing-chain
Not sure what kind of throttle body it has either...

How much RWtq do you have at what RPM's
Old 05-31-2009, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Default update !!

Read a thread on one guy who has issues with MAF.. was down on power.. he gained 60 rwhp by cleaning MAF. He had the same filter as me .. K&N.. that is a good filter, but leaves oil on things.

So I thought... Maybe!!

Bought a can of MAF cleaner, took MAf out oif screen.. and it was coal black.. Cleaned it.. let it dry.
put it back together.. took it for a test drive.. much worse.
and the car now misses at mid range rpms, and had a rougher idle..

I'm thinking the guy who had it tuned before me might have had the tune with th dirty/faulty maf.. so maybe a good one might throw off the tune on the bad MAF.

at WOT it runs about the same...cruising around it's worse. missing, backing more often etc.
at WOT The car still bogs off the line, barely spinning the tires...

For test purposes, I unhooked the MAf, drove it around, and top end power is about the same, but mid range and low end are impressive.. it also revs quicker without maf hooked up.

to test bogging from dead stop and.. I stomped it- .. INSTANTLY going from idle to 5000-6000 rmps lighting both the 17 315's tires up in smoke like they was on ice.. it's like I "gained" 300 ft lbs of torque.. with Maf UNHOOKED..

Could this mean either I have a bad MAF, or does it mean since I unhooked the MAF the car is in survival mode, and some other part could be faulty also? that gets passed in survival mode.
??????????????????????????????

Any ideas?
Old 05-31-2009, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

hey, remember me . you gave me a ride in it last night. from what i felt while riding in it was from a stop it would bog and at a cirtain rpm it would bog again, but after that it pulled like a raped ape. you are making the power I think you should start with getting it re-tuned
Old 05-31-2009, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slo98bird
hey, remember me . you gave me a ride in it last night. from what i felt while riding in it was from a stop it would bog and at a cirtain rpm it would bog again, but after that it pulled like a raped ape. you are making the power I think you should start with getting it re-tuned
Hey Brice, whats up..

on my car,, thanks for the complemnts.. but it needs work.
I plan to get it re-tuned for sure.. but i need to fix what iswrong with it first..get another MAF maybe..

if you'd have rode in it today with the MAF unhooked... it was a whole different car at low rpms.. no bog.. just idle.. floor it, and both tires lit up.. car was side ways and spinning at from 0 to 40-50 mph. had to let off get back into it, and still spinning and sideways...

Your car is a killer... stock cam and runs 7.70's 1/8 with 3.23's
You have a factory freak car. I think with more bolt ons (3.42's) UD pully etc etc, you have a 11 sec car with stock heads and cam... sky is the limit after that.

OH yeah. BTW another note
Was driving down 41 after I left you guys, came up behind this White Datsan 280 with big tires.. I was like a proud dog tail up in the air going to get me some rice to eat.. haha -- it didn't happen
Ended up like a watery eyed dogs with tail tucked way between legs...

anyways, it didn't sound like no jap engine ... we toyed with each other... He's gun it, then me..
his car launches like crazy.. I had nothing for him.. and knew it!

He tried to talk his car down.. but I wasn't falling for it. Already knew about his car..
we pulled over and talked... I already knew from talk around town he had an built LS (LQ4) engine in it... 6.0 ltr in a 2700 lb car.. pretty cool guy too.

later
scott
Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Hey Brice, whats up..

on my car,, thanks for the complemnts.. but it needs work.
I plan to get it re-tuned for sure.. but i need to fix what iswrong with it first..get another MAF maybe..

if you'd have rode in it today with the MAF unhooked... it was a whole different car at low rpms.. no bog.. just idle.. floor it, and both tires lit up.. car was side ways and spinning at from 0 to 40-50 mph. had to let off get back into it, and still spinning and sideways...

Your car is a killer... stock cam and runs 7.70's 1/8 with 3.23's
You have a factory freak car. I think with more bolt ons (3.42's) UD pully etc etc, you have a 11 sec car with stock heads and cam... sky is the limit after that.

OH yeah. BTW another note
Was driving down 41 after I left you guys, came up behind this White Datsan 280 with big tires.. I was like a proud dog tail up in the air going to get me some rice to eat.. haha -- it didn't happen
Ended up like a watery eyed dogs with tail tucked way between legs...

anyways, it didn't sound like no jap engine ... we toyed with each other... He's gun it, then me..
his car launches like crazy.. I had nothing for him.. and knew it!

He tried to talk his car down.. but I wasn't falling for it. Already knew about his car..
we pulled over and talked... I already knew from talk around town he had an built LS (LQ4) engine in it... 6.0 ltr in a 2700 lb car.. pretty cool guy too.

later
scott
haha, that would be alex.... his car is nasty. he beat that gto when it was off bottle motor for motor. I really love his car and its really fast for the power its making right now
Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Staging Lane

what kind of dyno each time if u took it too a mustang dyno and he went to a dynojet that should explain it becus there usally down about 30 rwhp
Old 06-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slo98bird
haha, that would be alex.... his car is nasty. he beat that gto when it was off bottle motor for motor. I really love his car and its really fast for the power its making right now

Yeah, 2700 lbs vs 3700 lbs.. that is a full second in the 1/4 mile with same power/gears/driver.
I told him I'm no fan of japs cars, but since his has a chevy engine in it.. it is cool.
my friend used to have a 280Z with stick shift.. he liked to go out and run it on the streets sometimes (1988-90), and he'd let me drive it, and we'd go look for people to run.. haha .. for some goofy reason I could shift faster than him... not sure why as I've not owned a stick car before this..
it was fun to drive, and shifted great...
Kind of brought back memories of his car when I saw "Alex's"

Heck I'd like to put a LS into a GM car like a Sunfire.. light and lean.
lol
Old 06-02-2009, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

something is wrong in there
Old 06-09-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, 2700 lbs vs 3700 lbs.. that is a full second in the 1/4 mile with same power/gears/driver.
I told him I'm no fan of japs cars, but since his has a chevy engine in it.. it is cool.
my friend used to have a 280Z with stick shift.. he liked to go out and run it on the streets sometimes (1988-90), and he'd let me drive it, and we'd go look for people to run.. haha .. for some goofy reason I could shift faster than him... not sure why as I've not owned a stick car before this..
it was fun to drive, and shifted great...
Kind of brought back memories of his car when I saw "Alex's"

Heck I'd like to put a LS into a GM car like a Sunfire.. light and lean.
lol
i see you took my advice and tried unplugging the maf and it helped, drop me a pm on empire or come out this weekend and well take a spin
Old 06-09-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this car A4 or M6? Who ported the heads, LS6 heads ported or not do not kill torque. If its auto, does it have a decent converter?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

car is an a4
Old 06-09-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94 s dime
car is an a4
Well the tune could be off and the MAF could certainly be off and amplifying the issue, however....if this car has a stock stall and 3.23-3.42's with a MS3 even with the best tuning its not going to perform, or drive anything like it will with a properly matched converter for the powerband.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

i know its a 3.23 car.. if i remember right from talking to him in town, its a 3200 converter.. i would go with a yank 4000, and 3.73's..

Quick Reply: Y pipe = Big hp loss