Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

just another 650hp 427 engine dyno

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 08:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default just another 650hp 427 engine dyno

Man,we have been really knocking out some 427s lately.This is a fairly mild deal.

Virginia Speed sleeved ls3 block
callies compstar crank and rods
wiseco pistons
tfs 235 heads
custom cam-high 230's intake mid 240's exhaust
fast 92 intake
90mm tb

final numbers were 652hp and 606 ft lbs.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

i take it as those numbers are before the spary?
Old 04-04-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
Man,we have been really knocking out some 427s lately.This is a fairly mild deal.

Virginia Speed sleeved ls3 block
callies compstar crank and rods
wiseco pistons
tfs 235 heads
custom cam-high 230's intake mid 240's exhaust
fast 92 intake
90mm tb

final numbers were 652hp and 606 ft lbs.
good numbers for a relatively small to medium cam for a 427ci. what is the car? and does equate to 554rwhp/515rwtq if i assume 15% drivetrain power loss.

btw, can you dry sleeve a LS1 block? for how much? how about wet sleeve?

thanks.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Shawn another bad *** 427. How do you think she'd have faired with a ported 102 mm FAST and a larger tb? Another 20 or so FWHP since we're talking engine dyno here.

Reminds me of Kevins build.

Got a question on this build considering you used TFS 235s and Kevin used L92's stg III porting by Richard at WCCH. Do these heads make power differently? Sorry if I sound dumb, but I'm basing my question off of a thread on here calling the l92's a lazy head and they make great power but are getting beat by guys with less power using afr/tfs heads ? I can't imagine Kevins ride having much trouble with very many cars on the road.

Great job again !!! Getting redundant.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:28 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RsSean
i take it as those numbers are before the spary?
yes,we don't use n2o on the engine dyno

Originally Posted by Abdullah
good numbers for a relatively small to medium cam for a 427ci. what is the car? and does equate to 554rwhp/515rwtq if i assume 15% drivetrain power loss.

btw, can you dry sleeve a LS1 block? for how much? how about wet sleeve?

thanks.
auto gto-should be good for 540 or so to the tires

you can dry sleeve an ls1 block but only to stock bore size.Wet sleeve you can go to 4.125 but really isn't worth the money.

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Damn Shawn another bad *** 427. How do you think she'd have faired with a ported 102 mm FAST and a larger tb? Another 20 or so FWHP since we're talking engine dyno here.

Reminds me of Kevins build.

Got a question on this build considering you used TFS 235s and Kevin used L92's stg III porting by Richard at WCCH. Do these heads make power differently? Sorry if I sound dumb, but I'm basing my question off of a thread on here calling the l92's a lazy head and they make great power but are getting beat by guys with less power using afr/tfs heads ? I can't imagine Kevins ride having much trouble with very many cars on the road.

Great job again !!! Getting redundant.
without a doubt the l92's with a much larger port is lazier in the mid range.That was some of what we addressed with Kevin's engine-we chose a small duration camshaft with very aggressive lobes and high lift to keep the cylinder pressure up to maintain good tq in the mid range while still making good top end power.It's very easy to overcam an l92 engine-that's what most people tend to do,they don't realize that the heads will make the power not the cam.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
yes,we don't use n2o on the engine dyno

auto gto-should be good for 540 or so to the tires

you can dry sleeve an ls1 block but only to stock bore size.Wet sleeve you can go to 4.125 but really isn't worth the money.

without a doubt the l92's with a much larger port is lazier in the mid range.That was some of what we addressed with Kevin's engine-we chose a small duration camshaft with very aggressive lobes and high lift to keep the cylinder pressure up to maintain good tq in the mid range while still making good top end power.It's very easy to overcam an l92 engine-that's what most people tend to do,they don't realize that the heads will make the power not the cam.

Thanks for the easy explanation. I thought you were going to bury me with a bunch of overly technical info. Port velocitys this, valve size that. Thanks for keeping it simple !!

How about the larger tb and ported 102 fast ?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Thanks for the easy explanation. I thought you were going to bury me with a bunch of overly technical info. Port velocitys this, valve size that. Thanks for keeping it simple !!

How about the larger tb and ported 102 fast ?
Doug,i'm a pretty simple guy.I think alot of guys spew all that stuff to make them sound smarter.

It's really hard to say of the intake and tb-we saw great gains on Kevin's but it also had much larger heads,looking at the intake vacuum i would say maybe 15hp or so.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks Shawn, and congrats on another monster build that will idle and drive like stock.

Looking fwd to hearing something from your customer on that ITB'd 427 for autocross was it? Wonder how he likes it and how it is performing.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I still like to see nice results with cathedral heads and 92 FAST..it gives me hope for a future build! Congrats on the build!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I still like to see nice results with cathedral heads and 92 FAST..it gives me hope for a future build! Congrats on the build!
the above 427ci LS3 engine has TFS 235cc cathedral heads and 92mm Fast intake.

Quick Reply: just another 650hp 427 engine dyno