Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

First Dyno!!! :D

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Dyno!!! :D

Got my car dyno tuned today, and it went VERY well...

First off, its a 99 formula, a4, completely stock except for a lid/filter I did last week. Just bought the car the last week of March, so pretty recent.

Did a couple base pulls, put down 268/292 and then 264/288m overall VERY poor, but the AFR was a horrible 15.8-16.0.

Couple hours later after playing with HP Tuners, we ended the night with 312/330 corrected at the wheels, with a nice 12.5 AFR. Also changed some trans and TM settings to make it drive better.

Overall, EXCELLENT experience with Brian, from www.dynotunemotorsports.com locally, and look forward to modding and getting retuned in the future!

What do you guys think? Pretty decent numbers for a lid only auto car? I'm going to the track friday and will hopefully have sticky tires, and looking for high 12's/low 13'...think I've got it?

Next up is LT's/ORY/Cutouts, a mild stall (prob 3200), and possibly an LS6 intake.

-Matt
Old 04-18-2010, 03:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say corrected, so yeah that about average.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by P99Formula
Got my car dyno tuned today, and it went VERY well...

First off, its a 99 formula, a4, completely stock except for a lid/filter I did last week. Just bought the car the last week of March, so pretty recent.

Did a couple base pulls, put down 268/292 and then 264/288m overall VERY poor, but the AFR was a horrible 15.8-16.0.

Couple hours later after playing with HP Tuners, we ended the night with 312/330 corrected at the wheels, with a nice 12.5 AFR. Also changed some trans and TM settings to make it drive better.

Overall, EXCELLENT experience with Brian, from www.dynotunemotorsports.com locally, and look forward to modding and getting retuned in the future!

What do you guys think? Pretty decent numbers for a lid only auto car? I'm going to the track friday and will hopefully have sticky tires, and looking for high 12's/low 13'...think I've got it?

Next up is LT's/ORY/Cutouts, a mild stall (prob 3200), and possibly an LS6 intake.

-Matt
i say those are really good numbers for an auto car! one question, you ever been to the track?
Old 04-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
i say those are really good numbers for an auto car! one question, you ever been to the track?
Nope, going for the first time this Friday, wish me luck!! Trying to get some worthy tires first, car spins all the way through 2nd now.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

My stock LS1 did 300rwhp / 325rwtq.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Good job and good thing he got the afr back in check.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:12 PM
9 Second Club

Numbers are about right... But, what struck me was why was the AFR that lean on a car with a lid and filter - someone jack with the tune before? And I wondered why it took a tuner a couple hours of "playing with HP Tuners" to tune a car with a lid and filter...
Old 04-19-2010, 06:34 AM
Teching In

He said the MAF was being really finicky, and he ended doing probably 8 pulls with changing stuff around.

He said it didnt appear that anyone had previously tuned it before, but who knows, and he wasn't sure why the lid was messing with it so much either.

I dunno, I would say the car was on the dyno two hours, but I also bugged him with questions/we ate some pizza, and then we probably spent 15 minutes driving around some back roads changing a couple things like shift firmness, torque management, etc.

I don't know what the car would have dynoed stock, but I think the lid/filter is only good for 5-10whp, right? So the car still dynoed over 300whp stock, so I'm happy as that was my goal.

Next up is probably either an LS6 intake or BBK intake, longtubes, ORY and cutouts with a 3200ish stall. Just bought longtubes/ORY yesterday, still looking for the rest.

My goal for this summer is 350whp and 12.25's, wish me luck!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 AM
9 Second Club

If I could give you some advice for your future mods...

Go LS6, not BBK - the metal intakes heat soak and after one pull on the dyno, or one run down the track, your gains go away.

Spend the money on good stainless headers - you get what you pay for here... unless you want to deal with peeling coatings and leaks all of the time.

Do one cutout back in the pipe before it goes over the axle - you need a little back pressure... doing two up by the headers will kill it.

I would go with a 3600 Vigilante converter. There are others out there, but I think the Vig is the best quality - it is what they say it is, and I have never seen a bad one.

Over the last 8 years of messing with LS1 stuff, I've seen people waste their money (and I've wasted plenty of my own) and have seen what works and what doesn't... just my 2 cents for ya.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Hopefully u got some nice stainless headers.I have bought pacesetter coated and only gained 21hp at wheels with my a4.Do yourself a fav and dont use the gaskets that come with the headers go out and by some nice copper gaskets.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 bird
Hopefully u got some nice stainless headers.I have bought pacesetter coated and only gained 21hp at wheels with my a4.Do yourself a fav and dont use the gaskets that come with the headers go out and by some nice copper gaskets.
I'll take 21whp for just some longtubes....I don't see why that's a bad number?

And thanks BLK02WS6 for the insight...may look into a 3600vig, we'll see as I'm getting mixed opinions on whether that's too much for a daily bolt-on car.

I can always resell them...but, I bought a set of the chrome BBK longtubes with the ORY for $130 this weekend. My car will be a summer only toy, and I thought the bang for buck was worth it. Should I sell these any buy others or should I be alright?

Also, when you mentioned the cutout, did you know that I was keeping the stock catback? Just curious, or if that changed your recommendation of where to put the cutout.

Any estimates on power increase between no cutout/open cutout? Is it a pretty nice gain?

**** if I could get 21whp and similar tq gains from just the longtubes/ory, that'll put be around 330whp/350tq, which should be enough to hit 12.50's with a stall, if not better.

Thanks
Matt
Old 04-19-2010, 12:16 PM
9 Second Club

I'll take 21whp for just some longtubes....I don't see why that's a bad number?

And thanks BLK02WS6 for the insight...may look into a 3600vig, we'll see as I'm getting mixed opinions on whether that's too much for a daily bolt-on car.

I can always resell them...but, I bought a set of the chrome BBK longtubes with the ORY for $130 this weekend. My car will be a summer only toy, and I thought the bang for buck was worth it. Should I sell these any buy others or should I be alright?

Also, when you mentioned the cutout, did you know that I was keeping the stock catback? Just curious, or if that changed your recommendation of where to put the cutout.

Any estimates on power increase between no cutout/open cutout? Is it a pretty nice gain?

**** if I could get 21whp and similar tq gains from just the longtubes/ory, that'll put be around 330whp/350tq, which should be enough to hit 12.50's with a stall, if not better.

Thanks
Matt
3600 Vig would be my upper limit for a bolton car (but knowing you will probably do a cam later...). A 3400 would be good too if you felt better moving down a bit.

No matter which catback you have, put it back there. 10 more at the wheels open with a stock catback...

Your call on the headers since you already have them...

With longtubes, cutout, 3400 stall, and a good tune - you should be able to reach your 12.50 goal with a decent tire on it...
Old 04-19-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1 bird
Very good advice. I used the GM gaskets and it stopped the header leak. I had both the Precision Industries Vigilante 3200 and 3600 converter and liked the tighter 3200 more. No need to have such a loose converter on a daily driven street car with stock gears. I never raced the car and kept the stock 3.23 gears. The 3200 worked well with N20 too.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Launching!

being the first time at the track, you might not hit 12's with those mods.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

My 02 a4 formula full exhaust full bolt on without a converter .Does 12.6 at 110mph in the 1/4.I pulled a 12.9 with 330 hp on street tires.Also when taking it out 2 the track i suggest Manuel shift the car through 1,2,3 then drive.I find myself running a couple of tenths faster that way rather than leaving it in drive.let us know what u run.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Teching In

Hmm, I should be in the 12's no problem, but we'll see Friday. I also picked up a pair of BFG drag radials today from a buddy, so that'll definitely help the traction issues.

Another local guy has a z28 auto and ran a 13.05 @108.7mph with 324whp/333tq, his mods were lid/filter, and magnaflow catback exhaust. He was on stock street tires and cut a 2.15 60'.

I know I'm 12hp low and 3ftlbs low, but I think with the drag radials I should be able to foot brake it a tad, or at least lay into it harder without spinning and get a better 60' than he did, which should result in a 12...but no point in saying until its done.

I'll post slips and vids this weekend for sure, wish me luck!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Boo, car didn't like 3rd gear, and couldn't really get a good 60'. Everyone is telling me its the converter, so I guess that'll make the difference.

Another guy there I've talked to a bunch only ran a 12.7x @ 107x with a 1.8 60' and he's got longtubes/ory/full exhaust, circle d 3500 stall, suspension mods, lid/filter and a tune/tires.

But my car didn't feel as strong as it usually does in 3rd gear, and but the DA was bad people are saying...i dunno.

Best was 13.6 @ 102.5, corrected its 13.34 @ 104.5 apparently without DA? Not sure that's just what a buddy told me. So 13.34 isn't horrible i guess, my 60' was 2.16.

Oh well, car is still fun to cruise in. Maybe with the longtubes/ory and a stall I can hit 12.50s. Is a cutout worth it?
Old 04-27-2010, 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All your #'s look about right. I bet the lean A/F and all that work to fix it is being caused by a bad MAF on the car.I've been seeing it alot on older LS cars lately.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Boo, car didn't like 3rd gear, and couldn't really get a good 60'. Everyone is telling me its the converter, so I guess that'll make the difference.

Another guy there I've talked to a bunch only ran a 12.7x @ 107x with a 1.8 60' and he's got longtubes/ory/full exhaust, circle d 3500 stall, suspension mods, lid/filter and a tune/tires.

But my car didn't feel as strong as it usually does in 3rd gear, and but the DA was bad people are saying...i dunno.

Best was 13.6 @ 102.5, corrected its 13.34 @ 104.5 apparently without DA? Not sure that's just what a buddy told me. So 13.34 isn't horrible i guess, my 60' was 2.16.

Oh well, car is still fun to cruise in. Maybe with the longtubes/ory and a stall I can hit 12.50s. Is a cutout worth it?
Honestly I was guessing 13.5.Wat do u mean corrected?Wat u run is wat u run at the strip.I never herd of corrected numbers in the quarter.Just save up and get more mods and watch your car progress thats what it is all about.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Launching!

welcome to drag racing at the track! dont get too down, There will be days like that. 2.16 aint a bad 60' for your first day out there at all. Was the track prepped? Anyways a bad DA can be killer, makes a HUGE difference. anyways were you paying attention as to what other cars were running and their trap speeds? Ive been to the track on days when LS1's were having trouble getting out of the 14's trapping about 100-102mph and LT1's running 94-96mph and thats on a track thats at sea level and SEEMINGLY ok temps (not hot)! Watch out for that DA its a killer!!!!

Quick Reply: First Dyno!!! :D