Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Bad MAF loss of hp

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Bad MAF loss of hp

Just wondering what range of power loss you can expect from a bad MAF. I don't have any codes or anything but when I had my car tuned Andrew said I should replace the MAF because the one I have is just really old and it's time to replace it. I know MAF's can cause a lot of problems including power loss, so if anyone has an idea of how much power a lackluster MAF may be costing me based off the mods and current numbers in my sig that'd be awesome.

Note: It's a stock MAF btw, not a bigger aftermarket unit.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
Just wondering what range of power loss you can expect from a bad MAF. I don't have any codes or anything but when I had my car tuned Andrew said I should replace the MAF because the one I have is just really old and it's time to replace it. I know MAF's can cause a lot of problems including power loss, so if anyone has an idea of how much power a lackluster MAF may be costing me based off the mods and current numbers in my sig that'd be awesome.

Note: It's a stock MAF btw, not a bigger aftermarket unit.
My buddy lost 20rwhp with a dirty MAF the car was really lean, cleaned the MAF wires with q tips and alcohol, came right back.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

So in the OP's case, is it better to clean the wires or purchase a new MAF?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its my understanding that if your car was tuned with a dirty maf or one that needs replacement and replace it after the tune, you will need to be retuned since it will throw the tune off. Same thing goes if you clean it after the car has been tuned.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
So in the OP's case, is it better to clean the wires or purchase a new MAF?
+1

Originally Posted by SSsoSIK
Its my understanding that if your car was tuned with a dirty maf or one that needs replacement and replace it after the tune, you will need to be retuned since it will throw the tune off. Same thing goes if you clean it after the car has been tuned.
Yeah Andrew told me that it would need re-tuned after I got a new MAF but that I do need one sooner rather than later if I don't want to deal with the more serious problems a bad MAF can cause.

Quick Reply: Bad MAF loss of hp