Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Added Dynatech long tubes, results within.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 08:05 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a graph of the air/fuel mixture.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:06 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

Like I said before the conditions were almost exactly the same and the same dyno.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

This isn't a promotional thread. This is a poor dude who spent a lot of hard earned Mulah trying to figure **** out.

Last edited by KB99WS6; 12-04-2004 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:44 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

I assume you are referring to LG posting up multiple graphs for their headers. It is weak of them to try to hijack my thread with no productive input. :
Old 12-04-2004, 12:59 PM
FormerVendor

KB99ws6 You have been on this forum for 6 weeks and you are calling me a "Bitch"? I know why he didn't get any hp out of his package. He and you do not.

Country boy is a customer of mine. if he asks me a direct question, I will answer.
We have enough business to not need to hijack anyone's thread.

CNB came in here looking for answers and wondering why he only got 2 hp from his header install. He can ask you, a guy with boltons and a stereo or he can ask a company who has 900 sets of the LG pro Long Tube headers with nearly the same great results all over the country.

CNB, ...You want answers?
1. Your collectors are a poor design with no scavenge effect.
2. You have headers with a "ball connection" at your collector. That reduces the hp and flow bigtime.
3. You have 2 1/2" cat outlets which is also bad for making hp.
4. Your X pipe is not only 2 1/2" it is more of a "Mixer" than an X pipe
5. You have 2 1/2" pipes all the way from the cat outlet to the mufflers.

Any of the high hp F bodies on this forum would never use a set up like this on their cars. The Dynatech headers for the C5 were a "visual" copy of our LG headers, but they made too many compromises to reduce cost and in the process they killed the hp that they could make. That is why you have poor results.

If we took an LG header and reduced them to 2 1/2" and put a collector like the dynatachs and installed the X pipe like they have, we would lose hp for sure.

You can go on the Corvette forum and get advice from every consumer/forum poster who bought any brand of header, and they will tell you that theirs is the "Best" brand because each person needs to validate their decision by getting others to buy the same parts that they bought.

You will never see the kind of results that I posted up, from a set of Corvette Dynatechs. I posted them to show you that you are correct to question what you got with these headers

There are more Corvettes that have had the same 2 to 9 hp results as you, if you'll do a search on the other forums. It is just a couple of dynatech cheerleaders who try to convince you that it is YOU that is wrong not your choice of headers.

Yes they are cheap, but cheap with no value is just cheap.

End of rant!

LG
Old 12-04-2004, 01:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

to Lou

he did gain some "decent" under the curve power though...
Old 12-04-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

it was mostly sarcasm/humor, but when i re-read it this morning, it did sound a bit harsh. Sorry, I edited. Atleast it had a good effect though, it got him the response he was looking for
Old 12-04-2004, 01:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
it was mostly sarcasm/humor, but when i re-read it this morning, it did sound a bit harsh. Sorry, I edited. Atleast it had a good effect though, it got him the response he was looking for

thanks,

Most of the time I don't post in other header threads. We sound like we are boasting. But in fact the numbers that people get speak for them self.

I stay away from header comparisons on the Corvette forums but LS1Tech is truly more of a Tech forum. People like real answers with some basis in fact rather than just pimping a product.

Our graphs only showed results without telling CB why. My mistake.

Thanks
Lou G
Old 12-04-2004, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the answer Lou Youre setup is definately badass. Ive seen the F car Dynatech headers and didnt like them from the start. IMHO, I thought they were junk from the first time I seen them.... 2 1/2 piping, bad fitment.....

Sorry if I caused a thread hijack, but I was curious and I know others have been too so I asked.

I see a set of Dynatechs coming up for sale soon.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:28 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

I had the tune looked at today by my original tuner (different guy who did not do the header tune) and apparently I had a half *** tune. I have corrected that and will try to get to the dyno soon. Lou, there are many other header systems that don't use 3" piping and still make very good power. How do you explain that? However, I can believe "ball connection" reduces power.
Old 12-04-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

That was one of my guesses, bad tune. Hopefully you'll get some better numbers next time. Report back what you get. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:03 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CNB
I had the tune looked at today by my original tuner (different guy who did not do the header tune) and apparently I had a half *** tune. I have corrected that and will try to get to the dyno soon. Lou, there are many other header systems that don't use 3" piping and still make very good power. How do you explain that? However, I can believe "ball connection" reduces power.
It depends where they go back to 2 1/2". Only a couple of headers even use a 3" collector. they make good power, Like the TPIS, but they lack in torque. A test was done between our LG headers and a TPIS header . We picked up only 5 hp on the top over them but the torque was up 27 ft pounds. that tes was done by Katech ( Lemans Winning engine builder). they now only recommend our headers.

Another thing to consider is that as you add hp to your car, you will clearly run out of exhaust flow with the 2 1/2" pipes. If this is the last modification that you are going to do, then you might be happy. But if you do a Cam or a cam and head, you will need much more exhaust flow to get rid of the new air and fuel that your cam and head will try to put into the engine.

A mid length header like the tpis or other good brand out there will let the burnt gasses out, but they will lack the mid/low scavenge that will pickk up the hp and torque at the mid to low ( 2000 to 5000) rpms. And with each of these kinds of headers you have to cut your stock system to tie them in.

Even a drag race set up can benefit from good mid torque. It is that torque that get the drag car to the 330' mark.

We designed our headers with the best collector. A 3" true Merge collector. ( goto Burns Stainless web site and read about Merge collectors). then we use an X pipe (3") that does not actually cross. this allows the gasses from each side of the engine, to flow rather than crashing into each other if it were a real X. But our X is more of a "siamese" x pipe. It allows the gasses to cross but not interfere with the pulses from the other side of the V8.

We built a no compromise Corvette header. It makes the most power under the curve and that has been tested by other tuners. Some Mid length or some larger tube (1 7/8") headers will make a higher "Peak" but if you lay the graphs over each other, you will see the power that they lose by giving up the bottom of the curve.

your headers do make low end torque, but they do not flow or scavange enough to yield the best numbers all around.

Like I said, with a mild, unmodified engine you should still see 10 or 15 hp. But the delta between our headers and the Dynatechs grows as the engine is modified. It is kind of like a 600 carb and a 750 carb. they will both make more hp than the old 2 barrel that you took off, but the 600 will not respond like the 750 once you make more modifications.

Long winded but I hope I explained it well enough.

Thanks
Lou Gigliotti LGM