Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

dyno

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dyno

Im going to get my 2000 ss dynoed and tune it its $550 an hrs. how long dose it take to to tune?
Old 04-03-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a question you should ask your tuner, really varies from tuner to tuner, car to car. Some tuners tune in an hour or two, others use a full day, then the following day for cold start and warmup. Are you supplying the software or is the tuner. If the tuner is, a percentage of your charge for the tune is a license fee, the rest for tuning time, some software does'nt leave much tuning time for $550.00.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds very high to me, especially for an houly rate. That should be the price for the tune, no matter how long it takes.

BTW, from what I see in your sig, your mods don't justify the need for a tune. Save your money till you get a cam and really need one.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"Sounds very high to me, especially for an houly rate. That should be the price for the tune, no matter how long it takes."

Referring to above quote, so if it takes 2 hrs or 6 hrs, it should be the same? If the license fee is $575.00, charging $550.00 "sounds very high"?? A good tuner should charge as much as a bad tuner??? OK, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Yes it is high. Find a place that charges a flat tuning rate (Dont fall for the we are better than them BS) and make sure adjustments are free in case things start to act up. A few questions for ya:
1. Stick or Auto.
2. Where are you located?

BTW Blaster is right why do you want a tune?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dynocar
"Sounds very high to me, especially for an houly rate. That should be the price for the tune, no matter how long it takes."

Referring to above quote, so if it takes 2 hrs or 6 hrs, it should be the same? If the license fee is $575.00, charging $550.00 "sounds very high"?? A good tuner should charge as much as a bad tuner??? OK, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
I am not saying that good/bad/different tuner should all be the same.

Obviously there are conditions where the difficulty determines the price. I know that tuning a FI car would cost more than just the average bolt on car just on the basis that it would take longer to dial it in and there are much more precautions to take so you don't blow up your engine.

Compared to my area, a flat rate of 550 is average for a N/A tune. But an hourly rate of 550 is just plain ridiculous. Christ, hooking up to the dyno, uploading the stock baseline, and making a couple of baseline runs before the "tuning" actually starts would take up a good chunk of the first hour.

If you really still have your heart set on getting a tune at this stage in the game I would shop around in your area for prices.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Maybe I wrongly assumed that "tune it its $550 an hrs." was a typo because of other errors in his message. Yea, I'm raising my rates if they are getting that per Hr.
Old 04-04-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

550/hr?!?!?! whata rip! I paid 535 out the door and it took ~4hrs, we did a ton of pulls with my car.
-Steve
Old 04-04-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine was 350 w/ unlimited retunes.... Went back a couple weeks later and had it tuned w/ cam for no extra cost...