Old 07-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stalled and (Baby) Cammed A4 - Pre & Post Tuning

SCC functional ram air intake
Bo White ported TB
MTI T1 221/221 .558/.558 112 cam w/ Comp 918s
Pacesetter longtubes w/ TSP TDs dumped with Spiral Flows
Still on LS1 intake and stock pully, 3.42 gears in 10 bolt, 17x9 ROH Snypers (26 lbs each) with 275 Kumhos, no dyno tricks

SAE corrected, converter unlocked. Not the big numbers you see posted here all the time but it's been a slug from the get go, and it's an A4 to boot. Just posting this as more of a reference than anything else. Some people discredit unlocked numbers all together, or torque numbers from an unlocked converter car. The car runs unlocked at WOT on the street and at the track, I dont care about locked dyno numbers. Also, as you can see, we didn't get any torque spikes from the converter either, just a smooth hit with the torque peaking them falling off smoothly, so I feel those numbers are valid also. Sure thats not what the motor makes, but thats what the car makes at the rear wheels.

Final tune w/ AFR and timing optimized

Pre and post tuning, you can see how much I picked up, especially under the curve

Overall I'm pretty happy with the car, finally. It's never been a dyno queen as it only did 282/304 stock. I expected an absolute max of 340hp at the wheels and would have been happy with 330hp. We ended up getting around 10hp and 10tq peak out of it after tuning, and just below peak we picked up around 20hp and 20tq through the entire curve gomer tuned the car and he's a class act. Real cool guy to chat with and he really knew his stuff.

And to top the whole thing off, I averaged 85 MPH down to Birmingham, 75 MPH back, and with the five dyno pulls and a few WOT blasts I still managed 21mpg. Can't beat that.

The newfound power has made the car feel much smoother at WOT, and the converter feels tighter also (dont know how that happened, but I'm not complaining ). I'm finally pretty happy with where the car is, and once I get this LS1 intake bottleneck off the car, and slap on an LS6 intake as well as a pully, I dont see why the car shouldn't be over 350hp at the wheels. Those are the next two mods, hopefully I can budget them in before the end of race season or before the tracks open up in the spring.

Now I cant wait to get it to the track. I think it should run pretty good, and once I get the LS6 intake and pully on it, as well as some stickier tires and a good torque arm, I dont see why I couldn't pull an 11 out in good weather, even with my pig of a car.

Last edited by josh99ta; 07-25-2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:14 AM
dug
Banned

Yeah, you should pick up 20rwhp with intake and pulley. If you lock the converter youd probably see another 15rwhp. Which converter are you running?

How is the drivability with the cam (112 LSA)? Any problems with surgn or buckn?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:48 AM

4000 stall TCI converter.

As for surging or bucking, I get an almost unnoticable amount under 50 MPH with the converter locked. I am VERY picky about my car, and it's not even enough to bother me. Past that it drives like a dream. I wouldn't have any problems daily driving it, but the exhaust would get on my nerves if I did have to drive it everyday (its not so loud as to be annoying, but it would get old if I had to drive the car all the time).
Old 07-25-2005, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by josh99ta
SCC functional ram air intake
Bo White ported TB
MTI T1 221/221 .558/.558 112 cam w/ Comp 918s
Pacesetter longtubes w/ TSP TDs dumped with Spiral Flows
Still on LS1 intake and stock pully, 3.42 gears in 10 bolt, 17x9 ROH Snypers (26 lbs each) with 275 Kumhos, no dyno tricks

SAE corrected, converter unlocked. Not the big numbers you see posted here all the time but it's been a slug from the get go, and it's an A4 to boot. Just posting this as more of a reference than anything else. Some people discredit unlocked numbers all together, or torque numbers from an unlocked converter car. The car runs unlocked at WOT on the street and at the track, I dont care about locked dyno numbers. Also, as you can see, we didn't get any torque spikes from the converter either, just a smooth hit with the torque peaking them falling off smoothly, so I feel those numbers are valid also. Sure thats not what the motor makes, but thats what the car makes at the rear wheels.

Final tune w/ AFR and timing optimized

Pre and post tuning, you can see how much I picked up, especially under the curve

Overall I'm pretty happy with the car, finally. It's never been a dyno queen as it only did 282/304 stock. I expected an absolute max of 340hp at the wheels and would have been happy with 330hp. We ended up getting around 10hp and 10tq peak out of it after tuning, and just below peak we picked up around 20hp and 20tq through the entire curve gomer tuned the car and he's a class act. Real cool guy to chat with and he really knew his stuff.

And to top the whole thing off, I averaged 85 MPH down to Birmingham, 75 MPH back, and with the five dyno pulls and a few WOT blasts I still managed 21mpg. Can't beat that.

The newfound power has made the car feel much smoother at WOT, and the converter feels tighter also (dont know how that happened, but I'm not complaining ). I'm finally pretty happy with where the car is, and once I get this LS1 intake bottleneck off the car, and slap on an LS6 intake as well as a pully, I dont see why the car shouldn't be over 350hp at the wheels. Those are the next two mods, hopefully I can budget them in before the end of race season or before the tracks open up in the spring.

Now I cant wait to get it to the track. I think it should run pretty good, and once I get the LS6 intake and pully on it, as well as some stickier tires and a good torque arm, I dont see why I couldn't pull an 11 out in good weather, even with my pig of a car.
Nice to meet you Saturday Josh! Thanks for coming down and I'm glad you are happy with the way the tune turned out. That thing is going to really surprise you at the track with that stall... if you put a good hooking tire on it!
Old 07-25-2005, 03:01 PM

Currently have some BFG DRs on stok 16x8 wheels. Those are for sale though and some MT DRs will find their way onto the car, so I should be good to hook.

BTW: The car has 115k miles on it, so between that, the restrictive LS1 intake, stock pulley, the heavier wheels with more rotating mass, and the fact that its an A4 with a 4000 stall and 3.42 gears, I feel the numbers are right on par with what it should do with a good tune. Thanks again for the tune gomer. Nice meeting you also. I'm going to take you up on that air fuel tweak once BAIN gets me that LS6 intake and I get a pulley.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Small world I had a T1 with 17x9 ROH Snypers with Kumhos and an A4.
Made around 350 with ls6 intake, t1 and headers.

Also i recently attempted to weigh the Snypere and Kumho combo man
between 45-50 Lbs. Crappola!
Old 07-26-2005, 08:42 AM

Good deal, that gives me hope. My 3.42s and 4000 stall will still make it a little lower, but it should still be close, and with a pulley it should take me just over that.

Pretty happy with the car, cant wait to see what it'll do at the track. Your times give me some hope that the car will really turn a good number.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:23 AM
dug
Banned

I have heard of people dynoing 299rwhp through an unlock verter and they still run 11's. Youre right on track for some 11's, especially after the ls6 intake.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:31 AM

Awesome.

Just scored some 26x11.5 ET Streets on some salad shooters so it looks like I'm set for traction. Time to see what this thing has in it. Hoping to run the first Saturday Beech Bend is open after the North vs South Shootout.