Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

How Safe are Dynos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
I agree. I had a trucks driveline go south on my dyno before. Not a pretty sound. Aluminum pieces everywhere.

Rick
We had people running everywhere diving for cover, including me the dyno operator who was supposed to have stuck around to apply the dyno brakes.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For trucks, I always keep the drive shaft length in mind when I decide what gear to run them in. Longbed, 2wd gas trucks... sometimes 2nd is smarter than 3rd gear. No driveshaft failures on the 100+ vehicles I have dyno'd.

I've had f-cars to 150 on the dyno without issue.

As far as straps, your car wants to stay in place, just the wheels want to move it. It won't go far if the straps fail, (note, wheelchocks are good to use as well)

Ryan
Old 04-22-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grimes
Don't forget, when you are moving down the highway, you have to stop 3000+ lbs of mass. When you are on a dyno, you only have to stop the mass of the drivetrain from rotating. So it is different than stopping on the road.
That is a big difference but let's say in the case of that model A, it still traveled a big enough distance to do some damage to bystanders or equipment of some sort if it was on a dyno inside a building.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

When we brought my brothers 400 rwhp SS to a Mustang dyno, the guy there was like run a few qt. runs on it. So I started laying into it and one of the straps in the rear ripped apart at the 2nd gear shift. The other strap held me in place but we all just gave a nervous look to each other. The shop was brand new.

Quick Reply: How Safe are Dynos?