Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

anyone running dumped TD on VA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone running dumped TD on VA?

What the title says. and do the cops give you a hard time about them?
Old 01-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Teching In

in NOVA i wouldn't advise it unless you know a mechanic that can hook you up with an inspection sticker
Old 01-24-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

my step brother runs his 94 z28 with tds dumped at the rear in colepepper. he has never had a problem, and when he went for inspections the shop he went to was pretty much all gear heads so there was no problems
Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

I know a couple people that can get me a sticker.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Around here in NoVa, a sticker doesn't guarantee you protection from a ticket. I know anywhere outside of Fairfax County/ Prince William you'd probably be fine with it though.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it comes to NoVA, it's luck of the draw whether you get ticketed for exhaust or not. I have a buddy with a Mustang GT who got a ticket a few months ago in Stafford for loud exhaust. His car has 3" piping and Flowmasters (not sure what kind). I know my car's louder (3" piping with a chambered pipe in the "I" and no mufflers) and I've not had any problems. I do watch myself on the road and try to keep the revs down if I see the cops though.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

this is pretty funny..i live in prince william and drive thru ffax all the time with my dumped true duals and i dont have a problem...also as far as inspection goes having dumped true duals isn't gonna make you fail. Hell i pull in there with dumped duals and a cam and i still pass with no problem
Old 01-24-2009, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input. I have made my final decision.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

I got hassled one night by the FFX county PD for cruising down the road and I have ORY and Corsa catback on my car. The officer pulled me over and said I needed to make it quieter. He also asked me where my inspection sticker was and I said the car is registered in Florida so it requires none. He didn't like it but had to let me go! LOL!
Old 01-24-2009, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

the guy i bought my car from had them on there. He's in Roanoke VA. He gets his rides registerd in Alabama b/c there are no inspections there. lol
Old 01-25-2009, 04:26 AM
12 Second Truck Club

99formulam6 was for a long time but he has FL tags on his car.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
this is pretty funny..i live in prince william and drive thru ffax all the time with my dumped true duals and i dont have a problem...also as far as inspection goes having dumped true duals isn't gonna make you fail. Hell i pull in there with dumped duals and a cam and i still pass with no problem
It's not just about whether or not you pass emissions. That's the easy part. Different counties, and different jurisdictions of local police have different allowable noise levels. I know that in the city of Fairfax (not county) the noise level restriction is tighter than that in the rest of the county of Fairfax.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by schmidtycamaro
It's not just about whether or not you pass emissions. That's the easy part. Different counties, and different jurisdictions of local police have different allowable noise levels. I know that in the city of Fairfax (not county) the noise level restriction is tighter than that in the rest of the county of Fairfax.
i know it isn't about passing emissions but if you look at the second response in the thread the guy made it sound like he wont pass inspection with dumped duals . Also some of you act as if dumped duals are gonna sound like open headers or something...honestly alot of people with catback exhaust (especially slp loudmouth) are louder then my car is. Snakeslayinz if you ever wanna hear how loud my car is just hit me up so you can have an idea of how loud it will be
Old 01-26-2009, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

All I'm trying to get across to the OP is for him to weigh whether or not its worth the hassle. You have to consider that less than 1/3 of the population knows diddly squat about cars...cut 1/10 of that and those are police officers, cut another 1/10 of that and that's how many officers know diddly squat about cars. Get what I'm saying?

Garauntee you that upon installing them..he will get pulled over in the first 6 months living in Alexandria..especially if it's the CITY of Alexandria not just the mailing address with the same name. He may not get a ticket but will be stopped/have a problem with the emissions inspector.

But whatever the outcome could/will be...I've always considered doing it myself.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

used to have true duals, i found it wasnt worth the headache of the lack of ground clearance and loss of low end torque (stock cubes), i got hassled a lot by the cops for being too loud and not having cats etc..... even though now. the car is louder with a full exhaust/cats, and electric cutout (until its closed).
Old 01-26-2009, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by schmidtycamaro
All I'm trying to get across to the OP is for him to weigh whether or not its worth the hassle. You have to consider that less than 1/3 of the population knows diddly squat about cars...cut 1/10 of that and those are police officers, cut another 1/10 of that and that's how many officers know diddly squat about cars. Get what I'm saying?

Garauntee you that upon installing them..he will get pulled over in the first 6 months living in Alexandria..especially if it's the CITY of Alexandria not just the mailing address with the same name. He may not get a ticket but will be stopped/have a problem with the emissions inspector.

But whatever the outcome could/will be...I've always considered doing it myself.
i get what your saying but why would he have a problem with an emissions inspector they dont care what kind of exhaust you have as long as you have cats and as long as when they plug into your obd2 port you dont throw a code you pass. You guys are acting like as soon as they see it has dumped exhaust they are gonna tell him to leave or something and that doesn't make any sense at all especially considering there isn't a law against dumped exhaust. As i said before i have had my car inspected at 2 different stations (one for emissions and one for state inspection) since i did my head and cam swap and they didn't question me or anything.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

He shouldn't. I say go for it.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Launching!

it really all depends on your area, and your luck.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
You guys are acting like as soon as they see it has dumped exhaust they are gonna tell him to leave or something and that doesn't make any sense at all especially considering there isn't a law against dumped exhaust.
Many inspection stations will pass vehicles no matter what is wrong with them. I used to do inspections at a shop my father owned in Alexandria VA and can tell you for a fact that ANY exhaust that does not exit from under the vehicle is not legal.

Re'