Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Will it pass tech at NED?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will it pass tech at NED?

Alright so I've been working my ***** off to get this car ready for the track this week. I wanted to get input from people who know better as I've never run at this track before, and I've never run this car.

Car is an Ls1/t56 89 rx7 with re-located battery and a fuel cell

I've been going through the car and I got the clutch safety switch working, I am going to install a radiator overflow and I took the fuel cell which used to be in the back of the car and put it under the car and mounted it with some 3/8 threaded rods and 2 peices of 4" wide 1/8th in flat stock.

I also got the battery mounted in an NHRA approved box with vent tube exiting the vehicle. Obviously I needed an emergency shutoff switch which I have mounted and wired but havent labeled yet.

Car will be running nitto drag radials and and has no DS safety loop although from my understanding I dont need one unless I'm running slicks.

Here are some pics of my setup, in the back of the car I am missing a panel about 6" by 6" that used to cover the fuel pump assembly. I am trying to find a panel from another car but I may not have it by track day. I wonder if they will fail me because of it.

Only thing I can think of that I need is a helmet. Can anyone think of anything else?

I also would like to hear where you guys got your helmet. Doesnt seem like theres any place locally where I can try some different brands on.

Thanks guys and I hope to see you guys at the track this wed/Friday night, we'll see what I can get out of this thing.

-Josh
Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

plaistow power sports on rt 125 on the way up to the track... they got all types
Old 03-30-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motorcycle shop for the helmut, but the track does sell them if you're in a pinch.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

Post up when your going up. I'd like to see that thing go down the track.
My buddy has a 87 rx7 ls1 (all stock motor and it is out of controll)
Old 03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Motorcycle shop for the helmut, but the track does sell them if you're in a pinch.
I think I am gonna go up there on wednesday but I would expect that its gonna be real busy so probably a bad time to run anyway and I really really need seat time in this car. As far as I understand motorcycle helmets wont cut it at the track cause they arent rated for multiple impacts and dont have the fire retardent component.

I am also gonna be using the helmet for SCCA events but I think NHRA rules are more strict so whatever works for the dragstrip should work for autox and roadcourse too.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:55 PM
8 second mod

for that car you probably will need drive shaft loop. 12.9 or faster if i rember correctly. as long as the cell is not in the car your good. if it is vented, be sure you have a roll over valve in it. also, the helmut can be bought from the motorcycle shop snell 2000 i think it has to be. once you get into the 8.99 range is when you need one like mine with the fire crap and neck brace etc etc..

be sure to lable theshut off, they will bust your *****.

if you have seatbelts good, if you have harnes be sure to have them 2 years old or newer. no cracked windsheild, all lug nuts etc etc etc

goodluck and good luck running that car in the next couple weeks. no track prep, cold moist temps. maybe for seat time as the street is more dangeros, but if the car doesnt run what you are hoping, dont get yourself down.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

listen to noyzee, minus a few things lol im pretty sure u dont need a ds loop unless ur running slicks... i run in the 12's on radials with no loop, and i was even asked if i had a loop and said no, then i said i dont need one right? and hes like yea your good. and im pretty sure the helmet rating is still SNELL 95 and newer not 2000 and newer
Old 03-30-2009, 07:23 PM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
listen to noyzee, minus a few things lol im pretty sure u dont need a ds loop unless ur running slicks... i run in the 12's on radials with no loop, and i was even asked if i had a loop and said no, then i said i dont need one right? and hes like yea your good. and im pretty sure the helmet rating is still SNELL 95 and newer not 2000 and newer
i have the 09 book out right here.

" loop required on all entries running 13.99 1/4mile or 8.59 1/8 mile or quicker that utilized racing slicks. drive shaft manditory on street tires at 11.49 1/4 and 7.35 1/8 or quicker"

thats right from the 09 rule book. so you should be ok depending on mods etc.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Did you get the vibration fixed? Im heading up on Saturday, hoping not to shatter my rear end. Im going more for MPH than E.T. at this point.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NateLS1
Did you get the vibration fixed? Im heading up on Saturday, hoping not to shatter my rear end. Im going more for MPH than E.T. at this point.
Yep gave cape cod axle the driveshaft and halfshafts and he balanced the driveshaft. Turns out Rhode Island driveshaft just downright fucked me and never balanced the driveshaft or straight screwed up. the guy at cape cod axle said it wasnt even close to being balanced. The halfshafts wierdly enough were straight...dont know it boggles my mind too..

Last edited by sciff5; 03-30-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Noyzee
for that car you probably will need drive shaft loop. 12.9 or faster if i rember correctly. as long as the cell is not in the car your good. if it is vented, be sure you have a roll over valve in it. also, the helmut can be bought from the motorcycle shop snell 2000 i think it has to be. once you get into the 8.99 range is when you need one like mine with the fire crap and neck brace etc etc..

be sure to lable theshut off, they will bust your *****.

if you have seatbelts good, if you have harnes be sure to have them 2 years old or newer. no cracked windsheild, all lug nuts etc etc etc

goodluck and good luck running that car in the next couple weeks. no track prep, cold moist temps. maybe for seat time as the street is more dangeros, but if the car doesnt run what you are hoping, dont get yourself down.

For seat belts I am just using lap belt part of couple harnesses I got. The factory seatbelts were junk and were scrapped before I got the car. I believe the belts may be past date I am hoping they dont check if I am using just the lap belts.

The cell is vented and thats the roll over vent where the blue 180 degree AN fitting connects. That goes to a hose through a hole in the floor out the bottom of the car.

I am going because I need the seat time. Even with the best track/weather conditions I'de still be more than a second off the potential of the car I bet. This is the first time I've owned a manual tranny car and obviously first time I've raced one. So the car needs driver mod BIG time!

Last edited by sciff5; 03-30-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 PM
8 second mod

is the cell in the car at all? and no the roll over valve goes in the cell at the vent, or right on the cell outside. you can see them here

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...oll+over+valve

if the cell is in the car atall it needs to be isolated from the drives compartment with a box or "wall"
Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 PM
FormerVendor

Good to see your problems are sorted through. RX7s and ls1s are definatly a good combo.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

is the cell in the car at all? and no the roll over valve goes in the cell at the vent, or right on the cell outside. you can see them here

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...oll+over+valve

if the cell is in the car atall it needs to be isolated from the drives compartment with a box or "wall"
No the cell is under the car. the pic of the battery box is the back of the car and although really messy and not the clearest pic you can see I had to cut a hole in the floor to be able to fill the cell.

I got the cell with the car but I'm 90% sure this is the cell
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

You can see there are 2 10an fittings on the top of the cell, one of them is a vent, to fit the cell under the car I had to cut some 1 in holes for them to come up through.

Do you think I'll be ok with the harnesses or should I say lap belts?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:36 PM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by sciff5
No the cell is under the car. the pic of the battery box is the back of the car and although really messy and not the clearest pic you can see I had to cut a hole in the floor to be able to fill the cell.

I got the cell with the car but I'm 90% sure this is the cell
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

You can see there are 2 10an fittings on the top of the cell, one of them is a vent, to fit the cell under the car I had to cut some 1 in holes for them to come up through.

Do you think I'll be ok with the harnesses or should I say lap belts?
if thats the cell you should be fine as long as you put the vent on the correct side. if they ask tell them it has a roll/tip over valve

as for the belts, if i had to guess id say they will smile and wave you good bye with just lap belts. i could be wrong tho. i ran them in my 14 sec truck (it came from the factory with them tho) and that was 10 years ago+ when things where allot more laid back. ca;ll the track tomorrow and ask joe.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

if thats the cell you should be fine as long as you put the vent on the correct side. if they ask tell them it has a roll/tip over valve

as for the belts, if i had to guess id say they will smile and wave you good bye with just lap belts. i could be wrong tho. i ran them in my 14 sec truck (it came from the factory with them tho) and that was 10 years ago+ when things where allot more laid back. ca;ll the track tomorrow and ask joe.
I have the rest of the harnes.. but I thought it was more dangerous to run a full harness without a cage cause if the car rolls the harness holds you in place and you get crushed.

Wtf that leaves me with no options. The factory belts were crap. I put in a lap belt thats no good.. a full harness without a cage is dangerous. .I meen its starting to **** me off. How much **** I've had to do and re-do over and over and how much money I've wasted doing it just to fit the rules

Not mad at you just pissed in general
Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

A car like that probably won't pass with just lap belts. And they definitely check them too, they always make me sit in the car, buckle up, and also try and start the engine without pushing the clutch in. Every time.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just a FYI about helmets, if your going to be doing any auto-x, or road racing do your self a favor and get a SA helmet. the M helmets dont cut it and they are actually more strict about it than your drag race tech inspection. just a tip i got from a few friends that are way more experienced than me
Old 03-30-2009, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by subarubill96
just a FYI about helmets, if your going to be doing any auto-x, or road racing do your self a favor and get a SA helmet. the M helmets dont cut it and they are actually more strict about it than your drag race tech inspection. just a tip i got from a few friends that are way more experienced than me
See I remember there was a reason I couldent get by on a motorcycle helmet

Just another thing to add to the list to buy and instal. I'll have to see how much of the factory belts I have left and what it would take to put them back in place
Old 03-31-2009, 12:17 AM
11 Second Club

i have the 09 book out right here.

" loop required on all entries running 13.99 1/4mile or 8.59 1/8 mile or quicker that utilized racing slicks. drive shaft manditory on street tires at 11.49 1/4 and 7.35 1/8 or quicker"

thats right from the 09 rule book. so you should be ok depending on mods etc.
holy smokes was i right for once? and noyzee was wrong?

is the young grasshopper coming along? or did i just get lucky?

haha love ya brad lol

Quick Reply: Will it pass tech at NED?