Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Good Place to go to in NYC

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Place to go to in NYC

I live in Iowa and am currently visiting family in Delaware. Tomorrow we are going to New York City and wanted some of your opinions on must see things there.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:24 AM
12 Second Club

Is it going to be a family trip or adult? If family obviously check out Times Square, Madison Avenue (richest street in the city), Madison Square Garden, maybe the financial district and Wall Street. Also another cool thing noone outside New York really knows is you can take the Staten Island Ferry from Manhattan to Staten Island, get off and go back on and go back to the city - free of charge. Nice 20 min boat ride each way, get to see the city skyline, Statue of Liberty. Also check out the Staute of Liberty. Lots and lots of things to see in NYC and the 5 borrows.

If the trip is adult I highly suggest going into Times Square at night, maybe hit up some clubs if your into that. I also highly suggest going to see a Comedy Show if you want to have a good time and laugh. The shows are really good and funny, apprx. about an hour and a half long. You will find people all over Times Square selling tickets for comedy shows. Good thing is they aren't expensive for NY standards. Some comedy clubs are $10 cover to get into others are $20, there is also a 2 purchase minimum once you enter. People usually get drinks, beers, soda/water for minors. Expect to pay $4.00 for a bottle of water or $5.00 for soda x 2. Its really worth it though its pretty much like spending $20/30 for the show which is worth it. Also you can hang out at the bar, watch other cool shows like dueling pianos. Also the bar scene in NYC and the 5 borrows is great, lots and lots of great bars.

If your staying for a few days its also cool to hit up the 5 borrows (Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Bronx) Brooklyn has the famous Coney Island, home of the annual 4th of July hot dog eating contest, Nathans hotdogs, boardwalk, and an amusment park with the famous Cyclone rollercoaster. If you wanna catch a ball game there is Citi Field (Mets) stadium and Yankee Stadium. Yankee Stadium is pretty hard to get into though, tickets are EXPENSIVE. Watch out for fake tickets on the street, have them walk up to the gate with you or take a coin and scratch the back of the ticket, if its real it will scratch off like a scratch-off lottery ticket. Also you can negotiate prices pretty good to your favor, do not pay what they ask for them.

Can also check out Jones Beach out in Long Island, or Rockaway Beach which is closer. NYC is a great place, hussle and bussle 24/7, lots of things to do/see. Have fun!
Old 08-10-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Empire State Building is cool, I went up to the top last time I was in the city.

If you like airplanes or boats check out the USS Intrepid museum.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

It really depends on what youre into, there is something for everyone.

Like for me, I like to go to a few jazz clubs (Arthurs Tavern on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays at 7pm = Great pianist/jazz trio), and also UCB (Upright Citizens Brigade) theater for some good improv shows.

If youre looking for some good eats, hit downtown Chinatown (Also right next to little italy) and get a bubbletea, also, restaurants are plentiful. Hole-in-the-wall places are really the best, but thats me, I like to avoid touristy areas.

AND, if you dare, get a classic NY pizza at possibly a Ray's Pizza, and if you can find a bagel store, do that too. Another signature food is the reuben at Kat'z Deli on Houston st (near Chinatown). Its been on the travel channel multiple times, I highly suggest getting one.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:18 AM
9 Second Club

Museum of Natural History and Hayden Planetarium are nice places to see. South Street Seaport has some nice shopping, eats and the Bodies exhibit is there too.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wear comfortable shoes
Old 08-11-2009, 09:05 AM
CARTEK Racing

[QUOTE=tektrans;12053231]Museum of Natural History and Hayden Planetarium are nice places to see.QUOTE]

MoMA, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New Museum... list goes on and on and on...

If not, you could always go to Scores or Rick's Caberet