Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Car problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:39 AM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Car problem

Just did it lastnight going home. Seems at different speeds at around 2200 rpms i get this vibration that shake the whole car. The engine note dont change when it does it and free reving doesnt reproduce the shaking. If i let off then back on it sometimes goes away which leds me to believe its something trans related.

Im going to Change out the trans fuild cause that does need to be changed its dark and has black stuff in it probably original fluid yet.

Wondering if anybody would know what it could be.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be your tires/rims. maybe not balanced?

maybe something on your suspension is loose
Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Check trans mount and torque arm mount (as well as the arm itself) Driveshaft, U-joints etc...

While your under there check the condition of the LCA bushings and make sure the end links on the sway bar are ok.

I doubt it's internal to the tranny, especially if no fluid is leaking from the tailshaft..

My bet is tranny mount. GL.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Def check trans mount and u-joints in the driveshaft. My guess is it is one of the two
Old 09-23-2009, 01:46 PM

how you tell if a U-Joint is bad? Will it have play in it? Just weird it does it in 3 at that rpm and in 4th at that rpm. Ill check it out tomorrow cause i want to change the oil anyway.

Oh and how hard is it to change trans fluid? While im down there i could probably do that myself to save some cash.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 PM

Well Got a new trans coming since its now leaking from the tailshaft. Got a lv2 performaBuilt transmission .
Old 09-25-2009, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

I still doubt all these vibrations issues are the tranny itself. The internals don't cause vibration typically, even failing.

It's probably the rear seal leaking or worst case a cracked tailshaft housing. The seal over time tends to go, even if the rest of the tranny is fine. The leaking tailshaft is probably a symptom you are seeing from what is truly causing the vibration. You see if the U-joints or tranny mount are bad/boken that driveshaft is gonna be jurking around all over the place and thus breaking the seal.

You might be buying a brand new tranny when you only need a $20 fix. Not to mention if you put the tranny in and the same vibrations are present you need to change the U-joints (assuming the mount was ok) otherwise you will break the seal again.

The seal is easy to change,
Remove the four bolts that hold the u-joint on to the yolk in the rear end. remove the drive shaft.
Get a seal puller and remove the seal.
Install new seal, (tap with a rubber mallet).

Seriously I would have changed both U-joints, the tranny mount and probably the torque arm mount as well as fixing the tailshaft seal before I even considered the tranny. Good luck with the Performabuilt, thats' all I'll say to that.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
I still doubt all these vibrations issues are the tranny itself. The internals don't cause vibration typically, even failing.

It's probably the rear seal leaking or worst case a cracked tailshaft housing. The seal over time tends to go, even if the rest of the tranny is fine. The leaking tailshaft is probably a symptom you are seeing from what is truly causing the vibration. You see if the U-joints or tranny mount are bad/boken that driveshaft is gonna be jurking around all over the place and thus breaking the seal.

You might be buying a brand new tranny when you only need a $20 fix. Not to mention if you put the tranny in and the same vibrations are present you need to change the U-joints (assuming the mount was ok) otherwise you will break the seal again.

The seal is easy to change,
Remove the four bolts that hold the u-joint on to the yolk in the rear end. remove the drive shaft.
Get a seal puller and remove the seal.
Install new seal, (tap with a rubber mallet).

Seriously I would have changed both U-joints, the tranny mount and probably the torque arm mount as well as fixing the tailshaft seal before I even considered the tranny. Good luck with the Performabuilt, thats' all I'll say to that.
Exactly...I would have def. done both joints and replaced both mounts while i was there and I can assure you the vibration would have been gone. Trannys do not create vibration when they are failing.

Dan loves the performabuilts!!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:38 AM

ok so if it is the bearing and u joint would it mess up the trans any? Theres still time to cancel the order isnt going to get sent out till next week sometime.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

No not likely, especially since you said this vibration just started. I like to start with the easy things first (and inexpensive) and then work my way up. If you have a vibration start with the car, the last thing I would do is go an replace the tranny
Old 09-25-2009, 10:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98hardtopSS
No not likely, especially since you said this vibration just started. I like to start with the easy things first (and inexpensive) and then work my way up. If you have a vibration start with the car, the last thing I would do is go an replace the tranny
He's totally right, easy things first is key here. Don't throw big money at a problem if you don't know it will even fix it (especially when it sounds like it won't). **** if you were closer I'd look at it for you.