Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Custom Audio Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Audio Help

Looking to redo the audio system in my '99 trans am. Definitely looking to do a custom system, the stock speakers are pretty much shot. I really don't want to spend more than $350. I already have an aftermarket head unit receiver. Anyone know someone good to use or what has sounded good?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check out Kee Audio. They are a sponser on the site and have pre-determined packages that look great. Def. worth a look. I will be going that way at some point.

http://www.keeaudio.com/fbodyspeakers.html
Old 03-25-2010, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those speakers are a better match with the stock monsoon system. OEM speakers like a 3ohm load with that head unit while most aftermarket offer 4 as the standard. I had infinity kappas (3ohm) in my bonneville on the stock head unit for that reason.

That is a good package though and it will work, but since you have an aftermarket unit sky's the limit. I find stuff cheap on Amazon when I'm looking around.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have an Alpine in my car and the improvement in sound quality over the stock was amazing. Sounds OK with the stock setup. I would love to update my speakers as well but I just hate cutting wires.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Teching In

My biggest issue at this point is being on a budget. I looked at Kee audio, and they have some great packages but I think it is a little more than I'm looking to spend. The other thing is that I don't have the monsoon face anymore, it's an aftermarket one. Is my best bet going to be buying the stuff individually or as a package deal? Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

i have a big stereo in my trans am. i have found just a set of co-axles in the back behind the seat and a nice set of sepereates of front small sub and a amp to power them all. its nothin over the top but it sounds great. if u have anymore specific ?s just PM me.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Anyone know if the Kee Audio package for Firebirds that is listed as being for Monsoon systems will work with an aftermarket face unit?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99TransAm GF
Anyone know if the Kee Audio package for Firebirds that is listed as being for Monsoon systems will work with an aftermarket face unit?
Yeah they will, they are probably a lower resistance at 3ohms though, but your current setup is the same. You could ask them. Your headunit might run a little warmer and it will sound louder than a 4ohm setup, but it should handle it, like I said it is now. I still think you could go online like Amazon and find the fronts, mids, rears for around $200.

When I had the bonneville I got Infinity Kappas , 2 tweeter, 2 6.5's, 2 5.25's, 2 6x9,s. So six speakers for about $240.